DAYS wins WGA Award for best Daytime Drama

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So now I am back to my original opinion. They say that it's just the union writers for their work but the only way to ensure this is to let each writer submit their own scenes. Otherwise, it's the show winning as a whole but giving the award to the writers as lip service to none union writers not winning. But in reality, none union writers are contributing and being acknowledged by proxy. Sorry no. I get Ron's point.

• Members

I'm not a fan of RC, but let's get this straight: GT going fi-core was about his own self interest, as it always is for writers who go fi-core. The WGA couldn't exist if the majority of its members were like Gary and Josh Griffith who abandoned their union so they could continue drawing a salary while everyone else was on strike for things Gary and Josh (and the other scabs) would benefit from post-strike, even though they were no longer members in good standing in the union. They weren't "selflessly" keeping these shows going so their "brothers and sisters" in the union would have shows to come back to. They decided they wanted to keep writing and getting a paycheck, it's that simple. Fortunately most of the daytime writing community stuck together because that's the only way writers get anything out of production companies and networks who don't want to give a dime more than they have to, even when their companies and networks are raking in profits. Writers like GT and JG who go fi-core undermine their own union, the very union that through the years has negotiated increases in their pension fund and healthcare benefits that they enjoy today, and will continue to enjoy for many years. What Ron tweeted was out of line, but GT doesn't get a pass for going fi-core. I'm happy for the DAYS writing team, but I'm just as happy GT doesn't get one of those weird looking WGA trophies, since he essentially screwed other writers when he went fi-core.

• Members

I think maybe Ron would have had a somewhat stronger case (but still should have shut the F up) if his target wasn't Tomlin. It's not story arcs being judged here, it's scripts. And even if Days didn't submit any of Jeanne Marie Ford's scripts, Fran Myers polished all of them.

But his outrage over these evil job stealers? Please! He happily gave former OLTL producer Suzanne Flynn a spot on his GH scriptwriting team. Now who did ABC openly say was helping write its soaps during the strike? Oh yeah, the producers!

• Members

So do I as a writer. I don't consider myself a union man, but I definitely supported the WGA in the strike. Royalties and payment were changing so much because the landscape of TV was changing.

I do think Carlivati and his crew from GH should have gotten this award, but kudos to Days. A lot of GH's really good stuff like the Robin/Emma "Mommy's here" scene occurred after September 30. Some of the stuff that got Days all that attention and kudos aired before this.

I know I'm going against popular opinion here, but just my two cents. :)

• Members

What's your point? Someone had to write the show. Tomlin's been around a long time and he's worn a lot of different hats, not just HW. I don't support scabs, but I understood that someone had to do the job and it might as well have been someone who's had a long career that is not limited to needing to be in the Guild. I frankly didn't think his writing during the strike was very good but it got the show over the hump, and that's all it had to do.

• Members

If Ron feels that strongly he should have refused to let GH be nominated unless DAYS and Y&R were not allowed to participate.

Instead he throws a fit after the fact, because the writers' guild basically told him that yes, his [!@#$%^&*] stinks.

He's a hypocrite.

• Members

Because they were the better writers? Or because the other nominees should be disqualified?

This is my problem with unions in general. They are all about protecting the majority and preserving the union's power and leverage. That is their mandate, and i get it. But They promote the opposite of excellence.

Archived