ABC cancels Katie

cassadine1991

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC/OLTL 2.0 were a creative success and were gaining rave reviews. The problem was the company, Prospect Park, had issues financing the shows. Both shows together cost them 30M to produce Kaite was 40M. Also, both shows were 30 minutes each so replacing Kaite with a half hour of AMC and a half hour of OLTL wouldn’t be that hard. PP also has a 10+ year deal so maybe they will work out a deal were the shows are aired exclusively on ABC but are produced by PP. PP will have a network so therefore they will have more viwership plus more money.

• Members

Well, Katie got her $20 million and has already lined up her next job. Too bad she never fully made her current one work.

A shame cos I like the Oprah-type of talk show that she so desperately wanted to emulate and had hoped it would work.

• Members

I'm in no way sad to see Katie go, but I agree with this. I like the style of her talk show and I think that's what current TV is missing. We have a million of these light/chatty talk shows, but what's missing is the Oprah element - someone who does the fun stories AND the serious/emotional ones. Katie definitely was not the right one for the job, but hopefully somebody will be able to do it soon.

• Members

I think the Oprah-type talk show mostly just worked for Oprah, because of her charisma and her history. It took a long time for Oprah to become what it became. She learned and she changed and grew. I'm not saying she was a saint, because her talk show had a lot of problems even in the later years, but she was better at selling this than someone like Katie, who is the most breathlessly insincere personality out there.

• Members
you contradicted yourself here. You make it sound easy by saying both shows only costed 30M but also say PP had trouble financing the shows. The reality is 30M was not enough to finance the shows. To be viable in the capacity that they were in, they needed far more than that and to go back on network tv on a daily basis, would cost more to ABC than Katie. The costs would hopefully be recouped with larger ratings but th upfront costs shouldn't be underestimated. They can't go on the air on a PP budget. PPs budget couldn't even keep them on the internet

• Members

Exactly! And it's clear that this is what they wanted to do with it. Only Katie never managed to adopt her interview style, which is rather cold, to this format, among many other issues. I'm sure ABC will try again.

That is very much true. When she is actually interested in a topic, you can tell. But, most of the times, she struggles to maintain that person and keeps saying things like "this is so interesting."

Oh, absolutely, Oprah built the type of show she wanted (and ABC sought to copy the formula with Katie). And, like you said, she was willing to make changes, to get rid of things that weren't working, and she did get better with the years as well. But, then again, Oprah can do a damn good interview without having to read off of those damn cards for every single question.

Archived