Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

The best teen set on any soap, ever.

Definitely, Jill was one of Alden's favourites, if not her favourite character to write for, and I think Alden attempted to evolve Jill really positively, having her confront the anger with Katherine, once and for all, with the Chancellor mansion fight, then the return of Billy and their damaged relationship, then the introduction of Mackenzie and Jill's renewed friendship with John, a greater role at Jabot with Jack & Ashley, and her May/December romances...oh, for those days again.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think one of the problems I had was Billy barely arrived before any of this happened. Billy was mostly offcamera, then he shows up, yelling about Jill, which quickly became about Mac. I didn't see any nuances in the material.

I just didn't care for the pairing or Jill's role in it. I know she's had much worse stories since then, but, that's how I felt at the time.

• Members

I cannot even describe the feelings that thought brings.

Rianna, yes! Although I left her out because she really wasn't much more than a friend/support kind of character.

It really was.

It was an epically good time for Jill. The character evolved SO much. Too bad it was all destroyed just a few years after....

• Members

That's the thing--it's easy to remember it that way, but that's not what happened.

Jill was never a terribly good or very present mother (which worked great with her history and character).

Naturally, that created issues of guilt & desperation to make it up on Jill's side and resentment on Billy's side (although he claimed he didn't hold it against her). He didn't need to be on-camera for that. He also hated any interference in his life and Jill was exactly the type to interfere.

Billy only returned for one week during a time which Jill felt extremely lonely and needy. He never yelled or argued--on the contrary, they both tried to be very respectful of each other and in several occasions decided not to argue and just enjoy the time they had.

Of course, Billy was a typically spoiled rich kid. He was a nice person, and he had manners, but as a teenager (and a spoiled one at that) he could only see things from his perspective. Hanging out with his mom wasn't exactly an amazing idea.

I see a lot of nuances in the writing and their relationship was complicated right off the bat.

I always thought that it would have been impossible for Jill NOT to hate Mac's guts. Jill was a nasty bitch to Mac and it was delicious.

• Members

To be fair to Jill, both she and John were terrified by Billy's drinking which got out of control and he almost died of alcohol poisoning. This made them both even more overly protective of him. I remember John was also not too thrilled by how serious Billy's relationship with Mac got.

• Members

That's how I remember it as well, Billy wasn't the ham/idiot/yeller that he was later written to be, he tried to like Jill, tried to get along with her, and at times they did...but Jill was a needy, lonely, and interfering kind of mother who veered on smothering him when she had her chance to 'parent' him...Billy wasn't a bad kid, he was a screwed up one and it was just as much John's fault as it was Jill's and they both knew it. And the relationship changed after the first year, as John and Jill became better friends, knowing they needed to be more vigilant with him, right around this time, one of my favourite episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxxgSLi0t-E

• Members

I never thought Jill was a good mother, but I didn't love the idea that Billy was in boarding school for eons (when up to early 1998, as far as we saw, he was in Genoa City and being raised by John, with visits from Jill) and was back with fury and outrage. It just didn't work for me. I didn't mind Billy resenting her or raking her over the coals, I just didn't care for the way it was handled or for how it felt like more of the same (as there were many other characters on the show already telling Jill what a terrible mother/person she was).

I guess the view depends on how people felt about Billy. I didn't like him, so my view is biased. Many here adored him. So I will agree to disagree.

• Members

But that isn't how Billy returned to the canvas. He wasn't full of fury or outrage. He was a damaged kid who was re-learning his dynamic with his mother who loved him so much she smothered him whenever she could. Jill wasn't being berated for her mothering skills or personality...Jill only started getting dumped on for that once Hogan Sheffer was aboard the show.

• Members

This story got me back into Y&R after about a six or seven-year hiatus. What was great was that you had characters like JT, just organically emerge. (JT was only supposed to be a short-term character.) Seeing some of these scenes with DT and AB remind me just how good they were. The character of Billy will be fine in DT's hands. I do wish they would bring back Mac and JT. Obviously, this could spin the whole Villy thing in a new direction because of Reed.

• Members

I am sure we will have plenty of Abbott family time because I am sure Victoria will kick Billy out of their house soon enough. This way DT's Billy will be surrounded by Abbotts his first weeks on the show. I actually look forward to him and how they much of the old version of him will come back into play. Also flashbacks. I expect lots of flashbacks.

SID interviews Lauren Woodland. She said she would love to come back for a few episodes. I know AH said Thad was asked to return and Kelly Kruger was approached. I would not be surprised to see a Glow by Jabot reunion arc. Maybe they want to relaunch it now the social media has advanced so much. This time it will center around Summer but the old crew would kick it off. That could be a cute way to get some old faces on and jog the audience memory.

• Members

My first reaction is leave the past in the past when it comes to that Glow by Jabot set. I hated how it fell apart and how the characters ended up. JT and Mac together still makes me throw up in my mouth. Eh, it does not matter. I am not watching.

Archived