GH50: November 2013 Discussion

• Members

KMan, I don't see Carly as propping FrankenTodd because he really does not have a story, and she interacts with more folks than he does. Neither has a story and that is the biggest problem here. You can't even call this a bad story because it's nothing. Craptini took two people with insane chemistry and put them back together w/o the benefit of a story. You could have taken this chemistry and created a story for the record books. Carly should be at war with herself for wanting this man and/or we should see FrankenTodd wrestling with the things he's done, what he was and still might be capable of. Instead, they toss Diane in the mix with this ridiculous jealousy garbage. If nothing else, Carly does a much better job at hiding when someone has the upper hand. This is all just lousy fan fic trash. It's great that LW and Roger can turn it into something palatable because they are great together. That cannot be denied.

Riddle me this Batman, why in the sam hell did Carly need to go BACK to FrankenTodd's room to tell him she was going to the opening with Derek? Honestly!!!!!

And yeah, add me to the list of people who saw potential with Derek and Morgan. All I could think of was "let's get these boys naked and oiled up". Really good inappropriate chemistry there. I hate Morgan so much that I wish he would just go away. De-SORAS him and give me my little Aaron R. back. Derek is still a joke as a mobster. I don't buy it and never will. Hell, I'm not even sure William DeVry buys it.

Kelly Monaco didn't take long to get back to her goth "I would rather be anywhere but here" sh!t! Bitch! She gave Maura absolutely NOTHING to work with.

The silliness with FrankenTodd's parents (it's so obvious) and Lucy? Ugh! I have no words. Heather coming and going at will from lockdown is one thing, but the fact that no one is reporting it is complete and utter garbage writing. It makes no sense that Scott has not turned Heather in. I mean, he is aware that she should be locked up, right?

KA can show her new tits til the cows come home, and still, NOTHING will make her valuable to GH.

Michael Easton aka John McBain's haircut! Yikes! Guess he's going to have to distract the audience with acting now. Good luck with that! For a minute, he stepped into Stephanie Mills persona when he began talking about "Home" and how PC just fits him. How awful! Yeah Michael, go get some weave because this just aint gonna work!

Twice...TWICE we had characters unnecessarily use "relationship" as to create a Three's Company like misunderstanding. It was ridiculous that Diane would go along with this fraud, but then to say "if anyone found out about our relationship"??? Then we have Derek telling Morgan no one can find out about our "relationship". So, until that moment, Morgan didn't know it's a secret? It was REEEEEEdiculous! Low budget comedy skit!

Then we have flashbacks that are longer than the damn scenes? WTF? The Morgan/Michael confrontation fb was longer than any of the other scenes yesterday? Really?

And people actually think GH is a contender for Outstanding Daytime Drama Emmy? In what [!@#$%^&*] world?!

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think RH and LW have chemistry, but watching them do a lot of junior high kiss-chase bullshit like six months after Franco returned to the canvas is terrible. "Do you like Derek? Do you like Diane? I'll make you jealous!"

Regardless of the chemistry between the actors, the scenes are basically unwatchable nonsense. Franco and Carly will never, ever work because of what he's done, and because Franco as a leading man will never, ever work. Yet they're playing it the way FV and RC play all romances - they treat characters of a certain age no differently than the teens and twentysomethings. In a way that's refreshing at first, but after I had to watch Viki, Charlie, Dorian and David play 'misunderstandings in a bedroom farce' at least three times on OLTL, watching Todd, Blair, Carly, Franco, Julian, Alexis, Nikolas, Liz, Britt, etc. do it again and again just illustrates the limits of their ability to write nuance or character beyond several basic templates, regardless of the character's age or facets or history. Franco and Carly are not characters of an age or history where it's appropriate to be doing any of this "Meet Cute/Romantic Mishaps" stuff with, least of all together given, again, who Franco is. But every veteran romantic pairing and development therein is presented like I'm watching Degrassi. And Degrassi is a lot better written.

• Members

Vee, I don't agree. If you can reform a gang rapist who later puts "the love of his life's" child on the black market, and still reunite them, this can be done. Not only that, make this person one of Daytime's most popular characters?

Like it or not, Craptini gave you a reason for FrankenTodd's actions. They removed the tumor that caused his behavior, so this man can function as a normal human being. That is not the problem here. TIIC are not telling the story of a man who committed heinous acts only to learn they were the result of a life threatening tumor and how he deals with what he's done post tumor and the woman in agony [who happens to be one of his victims] over falling for him. It can certainly work but not under HacknHack!

This is what soaps are about or were about. Taking the audience on an emotional ride when bringing two people together who, on paper, should not be together!

• Members

Oh, nobody bought that brain tumor, and I seem to recall you didn't either. It was crap. The character was a cartoon built for James Franco, and he committed numerous vile, irredeemable acts. He's a supervillain. Trying to retrofit him into Todd Manning in six months or less - and have him banging the woman whose kid he got raped - was never going to work, and that pairing could never work. There's some things no amount of chemistry can fix. That's why most writers had the good sense to not pull the trigger on Todd and Marty at OLTL, despite the intense chemistry between Susan Haskell and both of the Todds.

Moreover, nobody wants Franco and Carly together. Roger Howarth and Laura Wright, maybe, but it's a lot harder to find people who are willing to handwave it all with Franco. I could watch Todd and Carly because of the chemistry despite my disinterest in the pairing and the writing, but Franco is not Todd and Todd is not Franco and I can't stomach it. In this case, the actors aren't enough to get most people to sign on. Certainly the writing isn't.

• Members

Matters not that no one bought it. You have a reason for FrankenTodd's behavior. That is the "story" given. And while I still have not been able to call RH's rendition Franco, let's not act like James Franco is some great thespian with tough shoes to fill. The challenge here is that RH/Craptini have destroyed the essence of Franco, a character that didn't need to be brought back for any reason. But alas, he's back [sort of], so I've moved on from that.

As for "nobody" wanting it, that's irrelevant and speak for yourself :)

Much love wub.png

• Members

I have to agree with you here. RH and LW certainly have chemistry, but sometimes that just isn't enough. Nor is it a justifiable reason for Carly to hop in bed with this man who had her son raped, tortured her cousin, etc. five minutes after he suddenly became "redeemed".

• Members

Chit, look yourself in the mirror and tell that reflection you want Carly paired up with Franco. Not Roger Howarth, Franco. You can't do it! You know it, I know it, the American people know it! And there's damn few anywhere else that want that either. That's never gonna change.

There ain't no moving on from Franco when Franco is the character onscreen! They call him Franco! A Man Called Franco! Generalissimo Francisco Franco Is Not Dead! Look out, ladies, Here's Franco! That's who he is!

I say it utterly tongue in cheek, but still, it's the troof.

• Members

Yep! I worked with someone, and it was when I learned that black chicks do get implants. Once she got some small ones, she wore different shirts and showed the cleavage that she now had. She also talked in great detail of how miserable she was being so flat chested. Her confidence was up and she liked her body a bit more. This was a woman with a husband and child so she was not looking for a man. She wanted to feel better about herself. KA has certainly done it for commercial reasons - more power to her!

• Members

I honestly believe we are in agreement. You hit the nail on the head here. No one can tell me if this "story" were being told by a real writer and we took this old school that we'd be having this same argument. Imagine one of the writers from the 70s or 80s taking this story and giving you a reason to want these 2 together - you wouldn't buy it? How many times have we fallen for a couple because we took that emotional ride and were sold on them?

lol... Why would I want Carly paired with Franco [as "written"], period?! Not in this day and age. However, back in the day, I would buy this. I've been watching soaps for years, and I never had to rely on just the chemistry of 2 actors. The writers took me on a ride, and I gladly went. That is not what we have been given here. LW and RH are tossed in scenes and the characters are having the same bullsh!t conversation. That's not what soaps are about.

• Members

Back in the day we would never have been put in this position, because they wouldn't have gotten to that extreme point with Franco in the first place and then tried to bring him back in as a viable romantic lead with one of his own victims. That said, we're not back in the day, we're right here with Carly and Franco. And it's unwatchable AFAIC.

And you're right, the scenes are all crap, which was my initial point about the juvenilization and generic approach to every single pairing, regardless of age. It's particularly bad, though, when dealing with a character like Franco who has done so many things to Port Charles, to Carly's loved ones.

Archived