GH50: November 2013 Discussion

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's sad. I've always found it just a tiny bit creepy to watch adults talk about these kids like they're little adults and start shipping kiddie couples. It creeped me out with AMC's Miranda/JR/Emma and it creeps me out now.

All the lip service about RC respecting history is a lie. He doesn't respect anything. Not the genre, history, the work of people who came before him or the audience.

• Members

What was the Loving nod? How does this dude get free reign to go snatching characters from the whole of ABC Daytime? And Loving/The City are owned by Agnes Nixon's production company, Creative Horizons, so how does that work? It's cute and fun when you incorporate beloved characters from other shows but it must be done with the utmost craft and care. There are writers on this board who could do it more artfully. RC's writing has always given me mediocre-to-poor housewife fanfic vibes and the best of the ABC Daytime legacy deserves better than that. Create your own [!@#$%^&*] and live by the campsite rule if you must touch iconic characters whose success you had no hand in.

• Members

There was an entire episode which involved Luke and Holly going through the old Alden mansion in Corinth, complete with pics of the family and history of the murders which ended the show. They were chasing a lead on Jerry and Dr. O was there as well. The connection of course being that Faison was previously on Loving in the early 90s

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I really want Patrick and Robin back together, and I'll cry my eyes out when they reunite. But is it me or do they need to finally pull the trigger on Nikolas and Robin? GH has been teasing that couple for something like 17 years. And they still have amazing chemistry. That's a quad I'd watch, provided there's the proper fourth party (and Britt ain't gonna do it for me at this point).

Speaking of chemistry, Laura Wright and Howarth still have it, but it's ruined by the Franco character. Watching that silly stuff with them on Halloween - where they still had plenty of heat - all I could think of was why isn't he playing anyone else. A different long-lost Quartermaine, a Cassadine, anyone. Franco as a character is never going to work as a leading man. Ever. It's just so insulting when they try to write him like he's Todd by another name, and that's also all they're giving Howarth to play.

• Members

I thought he was so gross for so many years, including when he first returned this time. And I think his stalker routine with Liz - one of the worst relationships of her life - is so inappropriate and creepy. But when he cut his hair he got more attractive than he's been in at least a decade. I think he works on the show now because TC sells the dry, vaguely cynical character who's very different from all the other leading men still around - smarter than them now, frankly - and because Nikolas is no longer sold as the heroic show-eater he was with Natalia Livingston's Emily and so on. He seems out of place on Ron's broader, and yes, dumber GH to me, but he works because at least one man under 50 has to be reasonably smart. Even if he is falling for Britt's line.

KT and TC have chemistry, but the Britt character is just nothing to me at this point, Thiebaud isn't interesting enough to make me care and while I had been interested in the possibilities once, the way they've gone about pairing the two is just stale. The fact is no really in-depth writer is ever coming to retrieve the Britt character from monotony and flesh her out beyond the walking (and compulsively lying) obstacle and plot point she is for the inevitable Nik/Liz reunion that absolutely no one wants to watch, but which Ron will make us watch because he's marking time for the characters til Jonathan Jackson agrees to do a few days' work in a couple years. Chess pieces, they're all chess pieces! And if no one is coming to flesh out Britt, there's a point after which I think any ancillary character like that has a sell-by date. Britt's is past for me.

• Members

I don't say this as a Britt fan, because I don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about her, just as someone who rarely sees Tyler have chemistry with anyone. I agree she is just a pawn, although, frankly, all the characters are at this point.

The idea of Robin and Nik would interest me, on another show, but not here.

Archived