GH50: November 2013 Discussion

• Members

I personally don't think the character of Franco can be redeemed into some harmless, charming leading man. That is partially because of the writing team we are dealing with, and partially because of Roger Howarth's inept performance. If this were being written by Marland, Nixon, Labine, etc. it would be a different story because it never would have happened like this. If they had wanted to make Franco a sustainable character (which I doubt they would), they would have never taken this lazy, cornered-in "brain tumor" route. We would have had months, maybe even years, of watching Franco grow, evolve, form a conscience - genuinely start to regret his actions and begin to make amends. With this regime it's "hey look I had a brain tumor and now I can't paint. Carly please [!@#$%^&*] my brains out"….I just don't see it working, ever.

Great minds. LOL.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are ignoring a key factor here. Craptini gave you a reason for all of that behavior. Was it garbage? Absolutely, but it nonetheless explains FrankenTodd's behavior. According to you, Todd, Luke, James Stenbeck, Roger Thorpe, etc. should not have lasted more than 6 months, but they did and all were romantic leads. Good writing and character investment will get you everywhere!

• Members

I am not intentionally missing your point, I simply have no idea what it is. As far as I can tell you're telling me that in another time and place this would work out great with better writing and a different character, admitting that it doesn't now, but telling me that I am still being unreasonable. I don't know how I am, but I don't know what else I can tell you. We're talking in circles.

• Members

As a third party looking at this debate, I honestly don't think that you guys are disagreeing that much either. This issue I'm seeing is the one of what each of you as individual viewers is willing to accept/forget/handwave. RC is selling what he's selling and you are each doing what viewers do: deciding whether or not to buy it. We all decide for ourselves what our limits are and when a show has hit them. From your posts it simply seems like Vee has hit his limit whereas Chit, you are still willing to hang on. The funny thing is that neither of you is arguing that this is good writing. You're just fighting about the degree to which it sucks. laugh.png

Archived