Passanante/Altman are Y&R's new Head Writers

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish this were the case but MAB pretty much destroyed whatever goodwill was left regarding the Bells. For Steve Kent, this is a case of 'been there, done that.' Bill Bell Jr's position has been much diminished as a result of his vapid wife's shenanigans, Lee Bell is retired and enjoying her grandchildren, Brad Bell is at B&B and happy with the complete autonomy and Lauralee is probably the one who alerted her family to the fact that MAB was ruining the jewel in their father's crown. The Bells have surrendered their claim on Y&R and, consequently, they are never going to get it back.

Absolutely. Moreover, 98% of all the flashbacks used at Kay's memorial were from 2007 onwards... nothing from Y&R's golden era except where it related to Brock (for obvious reasons), and some smart person went on YouTube to collect a snippet from when Kay begs Philip not to divorce her.

Do the Bells have any say in Y&R anymore? Are they just sitting back and rubber-stamping all this? Or did they give up their right to Y&R when MAB was fired?

• Members

No way the Bells are "rubber stamping" this mess. They just don't have enough clout to challenge a CBS/Sony tag-team. If they did, you can bet one of Bill Bell's proteges (Alden, Smith, Sally SM, or all three) would be back at the helm, either as EP, HW or both. There must be bad blood between Steve Kent and the Bells. He's hellbent on hanging on to JFP even though she's done little, if anything, for the ratings in any of the key demos. B&B is kicking Y&R's butt most weeks, which must gall Kent, since B&B is succeeding with the old Y&R/Bill Bell formula of storytelling and production, but with a modern vibe. Meanwhile, back at Y&R, JFP brings in Steve Burton to ignite the ratings, but even that hasn't worked. The woman is void of ideas, which speaks to why she chose SA and JP as co-heads. Neither has a record as a strong head writer. JP's history is especially notorious. The perfect nodding heads to do Jill's bidding. Shame on Angelica McD at CBS for letting this happen.

• Members

Putting on a pleasant public face and being photographed with someone doesn't mean LP or the Bell family have fond feelings for JFP/ST. LP's known as one of the sweetest, nicest people in the world. She'd be the last person to go public with how the Bells really feel about the mess Sony/CBS have made of her husband's legacy show. She's got too much class. By bet is that JFP's trying to ingratiate herself with Lee.

• Members

Well, then, this is going to be disastrous for Y&R. Maybe it will be Guza&JFP-on-GH disastrous (with a killed-off vet every sweeps), maybe it will be Kim-Zimmer-peeing-in-a-field disastrous. Y&R has been dented by 6 years of bad writing and mismanagement. I don't know how much longer it can withstand these consecutively terrible appointments in the HW/EP departments.

• Members

I just don't know what to think, honestly. I want to hope it will be different, because I do believe Passanante was oppressed by strong management. At AMC everyone had their hand in the pot (similar to now with CBS, Sony AND JFP jockeying for control), then at ATWT, Passanante was known for being a weak HW who basically let Goutman steamroll her. I don't know how much faith I have, but we'll see.

Archived