Passanante/Altman are Y&R's new Head Writers

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty heartbroken with the choice. When they picked Josh Griffith people said I was too hard by dismissing him before his work even aired, but I remembered his previous work and he is NOT fit to be a headwriter. Period. A Co-HW maybe, but that's it. Beyond that, his previous stint at Y&R was terrible so I'm not sure why anybody had any hope there. With these two writers they also have pretty bad reputations and absolutely no Bell-soap experience so they'll have to work their asses off and prove themselves before I give them any kind of support. I actually enjoyed Jean Passanante's work on ATWT (I know it's rare), but what worked on ATWT won't work on Y&R. And let's not even mention her stints on AW or AMC....especially AMC......

• Members

Oh god Jean Passastinko. How does this woman keep getting employed. She worked at oltl from 1992 to 1998 originally was head writer from 96 to 97. Then she moved to another world where she was head writer for 1998 to 1999. Then when another world ended she was at all my children from 1999 to 2001. The worst was libido zone and her Gillian killing to prop Laura. Then she went to as the world turns from 2001 to 2010 which was 9 years she was co head writer with sheffer and then became full head writer for 5 years. She came back to oltl for the last year and half and then has been with general hospital almost two years under Ron. This woman has been employed 21 straight years. All I can say is screw u Maria arena bell u made it where u screwed over any bell protege from taking over.

• Members

I actually liked some of JPiss's ATWT also- her first year was good and the last year and a half was solid. But A LOT of the in between was terrible, especially the neverending Paul/Meg/Craig BS! And I agree with Chris B- her style of writing has NO PLACE at Y&R.

Maybe we'll luck out and JFP will ghost write the show. :)

• Members

As someone who hasn't seen much of what she has done, can anyone detail what her writing style is like? (ie long scenes vs short scenes, effective cliffhangers?) And the types of stories she tells? And the pace.

Likewise with Shelly Altman. I ask because as the EP has ultimately proven, a leapard never changes its spots.

• Members

From Toups' records:

Updated September 6, 2012

Another World

- Associate Head Writer (1995 - 1999)

General Hospital

- Associate Head Writer (August 10, 2011 – January 6, 2012; February 21, 2012 – Present)

- Co-Head Writer (January 9, 2012 – February 20, 2012)

One Life To Live

- Associate Head Writer (1999 - February 22, 2008; May 2, 2008 – September 20, 2011)

Awards

- Daytime Emmy NOMINATION (2009; Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team; One Life To Live)

- Daytime Emmy WIN (2008; Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team; One Life To Live)

- Daytime Emmy NOMINATION (2006; Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team; One Life To Live)

- Daytime Emmy NOMINATION (2002; Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team; One Life To Live)

- Daytime Emmy NOMINATION (1996; Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team; Another World)

- Writers Guild NOMINATION (For 2010 season; One Life To Live)

- Writers Guild NOMINATION (For 2009 season; One Life To Live)

- Writers Guild NOMINATION (For 2008 season; One Life To Live)

- Writers Guild NOMINATION (For 2005 season; One Life To Live)

- Writers Guild NOMINATION (For 2003 season; One Life To Live)

- Writers Guild NOMINATION (For 1997 season; Another World)

Looking at her history, I can't see one really solid team she's been a part of. Certainly not one that would fit into what I think works for Y&R. I can see them thinking we're crazy for acting like we know what Y&R should be, but this is the one show there should be no question about. It's been #1 for so many years and unlike every other soap with their fluctuating ratings and rankings, Y&R always had the same vision. While every other soap had creative meltdowns and chased trends, Y&R knew what worked for it and continued doing that. Alden and Smith continued that trend. B&B has been having a great revival the past 3-4 years using this formula. I don't understand why every attempt to revive Y&R involves getting away from that. Maria Arena Bell had some failures, but she did have her successes and I don't think her wanting to emulate the Bell formula was the problem. Had she paired herself with Co-HWs like Kay Alden, Jack Smith, etc. as opposed to Hogan Sheffer and Scott Hamner, I doubt she would've had the issues she did.

Jean Passanante's writing is very fast-paced and basic soap storytelling. The women on ATWT were very weak, everybody seemed to be in a love triangle and there seemed to be a new psycho every six months. I don't recall ATWT being good at featuring the vets, but I know Chris Goutman had a lot to do with that. In general, the show was watchable, but very forgettable. Now her AMC stint I've heard nothing but horrible things about. Many consider it one of the lowest points for that show.

• Members

Of course. These people will come in once the show has completely tanked. That is what it takes for soaps to bounce back these days. I remember when B&B was hitting record low after record low, but a combination of a re-energized writing staff, Ed Scott revamping production and some great new characters (Bill, Steffy, Liam, Katie, Donna and Pam) the show bounced back and has kept improving.

Archived