AMC: Monday May 27, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

I cringe whenever I see AJ attempt to act. Can he take a week off? We've had 3 days off from Celia and Pete.. but he has been on way too much.

It's telling that the casting director wasn't being objective when casting the part due to her friendship with the actor. Perhaps someone else should have viewed his audition and been allowed to determine if he fits the part or not. When his character comes on screen, I am taken out of the action and am looking at an actor 'acting' as opposed to a character.

Finally, Zach is a sexist pig. Which is realistic, but would love to have a woman take him down a peg or four.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This casting director is so hit or miss. For me, I thinks he did a terrible job with AMC. I was watching today and realized I just can't stand the actors playing Lea, AJ or JR. Lea is just stiff and not a very good actress (anyone have clips of her on GL?), AJ is just hammy and over the top and takes me out of every scene he's in and then the new JR is stiff as hell and doing that cheesy soap opera acting. It's awkward seeing Lea with Zach, because Thorston is such a natural actor. Maybe he will help her improve. Still not feeling Cassandra either. I just need her in a light, easy breezy storyline because she doesn't seem experienced enough for this type of drama. Her crying is so unnatural and some of her line readings just sound weird. I can see her improved though.

I need AMC to get out of this dated soap opera feel. I don't get that from OLTL so I'm not sure why I feel that way for AMC. It just feels old fashioned and not in the good classic AMC/Ryan's Hope sort of way.

• Members

I think Eric Nielsen is a good actor who should not be given material where he has to yell and scream and be hyper-emotional. When he has more everyday scenes he's very good. I am up to the episode where he punched Hunter (and I guess now I know that adding profanity doesn't make fight scenes on soaps any less cheesy).

• Members

I think Eric needs to work more with people who know "soap acting" then it will fall into place. I think he has talent, but he hasn't had much to do with people who've had a lot of experience on camera as Denyse's work on Disney is a different animal.

Ryan Bittle is doing closer to Days style acting as JR not AMC style acting. He needs to work some with other people that aren't newbies or Lindsay, who isn't bad but has the NBC style.

Lea (Paula Garces) wasn't great on GL, but she was stuck mainly in story with people like Ryan Brown's Bill, who was so not Bill.

• Members

IMO, Tammy Blanchard (ex-Drew Jacobs, GUIDING LIGHT) is a fine example of someone who joins a soap opera with little to no prior acting experience, but who has that "something" that pushes them (and you) through the learning curve until they GET better. You know they're green as hell, but they compel you to watch nonetheless. To this day, I still recall watching her final scenes on GL and thinking, "Damn, just when she and her story were about to go somewhere, too!"

• Members

I think Ryan Bittle's already a hell of a lot better than JY ever was, frankly. JY was a great emoter and he made the part his through sheer hamminess, but he was not much of an actor.

I think Eric Nelsen is quite stage-y at times, but it's not a bad thing. It works for him and I just really enjoy him, period.

• Members

Tammy has said that she learned a lot thanks to Lisa Brown. The young people on GL at that time got better and better, even those who were extremely weak (like Paolo Benedeti). I think they should have Lisa come and help with PP, if she is available.

• Members

That would be a good idea! I don't think Lisa is available.. I think she and martha are working on a new show Gotham right now.

Though I think that there should be an acting coach of some sort of set to help all the actors.

• Members

You do have a point...

Realted to your academy award comment, there have been actors I have found to be terrible on soaps, who then go on to be much better in film work--maybe given the different requirements. Not Hunter bad though...

You're probably right about the stagey-ness, something I admit I don't mind (and I think is, if we're discussing different styles of acting on different soaps, pretty true to AMC's past.) I don't think he's brilliantyet by any means, but it amazes me the hugely different takes among online fans in regards his talent. Then I guess these shows seem to be polarizing soap fans in general--from reading people who find OLTL unwatchable but love AMC, to vice versa, etc (I am obviously enjoying both, for the record, but I will admit AMC has had to work harder at finding its new style and still has some ways to go when it comes to some of the younger actors and dialogue.)

• Members

The material on today's show was good but the dialogue was pretty rough in a lot of scenes. Who wrote today? Zach had one good crack about an orgasm but the rest was sexist drivel - TK has good chemistry with Paula Garces, and Zach's sexism may be an intentional choice to uphoist him later, but the key to developing that romance is to ensure she gives him a run for his money. That's what I want and need from the character and Garces is only intermittently selling the stuff, which is not great for her at the moment. I don't have a problem with the Cassandra story beyond the Zach/Lea angle.

Eric Nelsen was OTT but recovered. The last segment was great because I thought it illuminated something I felt was hinted at after his last big scene where he went home after J.R. didn't recognize him at the hospital - A.J.'s first instinct was to glance at the decanter of liquor in the drawing room. I think he fears he has the same kind of addictive personality as J.R. and that that may soon explode. I thought he was pretty good at the end, if raw.

Most of the show til now has been pretty even-handed on David - even when the characters aren't - but beyond Dixie or the Chandlers I don't understand why Joe and everyone else are still on David's ass. They all know what happened that night. J.R. came in with a gun. And why not fund his research? I let a lot of it slide for the sake of drama, which has been fine, but I can't believe just the death of Marissa would keep everyone out of town, like Ruth.

Dixie is apparently living at the Chandler mansion. That begs a whole other question that I've been pondering for a while - why, if she's with Tad, is she still there? Dixie is supposedly still with Tad, but she's been mooning over his picture, he's away "on assignment" and doesn't seem to be in any rush to come back. I've suspected for a while that their relationship is barely still together, if at all, based on her loyalty to J.R. This of course is where I'd get her into a torrid affair with, say, Griffin, but that's me.

I actually am looking forward to Pete and Celia tomorrow Wednesday (arrgh!) - I didn't hate them to begin with, and I really like Pete/RW, but I think she's a little weak. But their whole story is off in this rarefied little romantic fantasy world that is growing increasingly weird and creepy. Those visions and dreams are awfully well done.

(Also, if these shows last for the long haul I will be pretty serious about trying out Pete and Miranda in a few years, just saying)

• Members

I agree AJ/Eric Nelson is good. HIs fight with JR is identical to fights I had with my parents. He was really spot on!!

Also, I couldn't stand JY. Some of it may had to do with the writing some of it was just him. I cant put my finger on why he semmed out of place especially for JR. I can see this JR play some of the tricks JY's JR did. I can see him manipulate people.

Maybe JY's seemed to contrived? I just don't know.

• Members

I liked Jacob Young as JR at first, but after a while, it just seemed like JR had become a caricature of himself. He'd been a violent drunk for a long time, so to me the drinking and shooting up a room full of people at his father's engagement party and his uncle's return from the dead was absolutely in character, but by the end it was just hard to watch.

• Members

At the very least, re-casting JR gives AMC an opportunity to wipe his slate clean. If Jacob Young had returned with the show, I don't know whether they would have been as able to rehabilitate his character.

Archived