Y&R: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

^

I never said or implied JFP was perfect or even less than . I've just been saying that she isn't a saint and that it's reasonable why people have ill-will towards her. She isn't my favorite EP but I've always said that when Jill has a strong writer behind her *coughs* the GREAT Nancy Curlee *coughs* she puts on some of the best soap to date.

Her run so far on Y&R has been alright. Nothing IMO to rave about but she's doing way better than LML and MAB were doing when they held the position. She's no Ed Scott or Charles Shaughnessy but she's decent.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But again, you have to remember that this is a board filled with people that have seen her work (the good, the bad, and the horrid) on not one soaps but five.

Some people on here saw how a lot of actors (popular ones) left Santa Barbara under her reign, along with the shift in the show, thus resulting in a ratings erosion.

Many of us (myself included) watched how she stupidly didn't know Bev McKinsey had a loophole in her contract that resulted in Bev leaving Guiding Light and pissing off fans. She then turned around and killed off Maureen, who was the tentpole character of the show at the time, the central matriarch without a blink of the eye to bring on Justin Deas as Buzz. I enjoyed GL for the most part in this era b/c it was truly the show's final Golden age but I think her blessing was Nancy Curlee's writing. After Nancy left in '94, it shows who was the "Guiding Light" on that show from the production side.

Again, I watched when she was moved to Another World and caused a blood bath on there too. She killed off Ryan Harrison, who was immensely popular and was a part of the shows primary super couple, Vicky and Ryan, so she can bring on Robert Kelker Kelly. She then killed off Frankie Frame, which she adamantly denies to this day, and she knows that she did b/c she used a focus group (Jill's fave method to off an character) on whether or not she wanted to get rid of Paulina, Donna, or Frankie (all popular characters)--Frankie ended up getting the boot. Sad part is that someone has posted the entire episodes on YouTube and her name is on the final credits as EP. She then ushered out older, supporting characters (i.e. Bridget & Spencer), and was a part of that mockery known as the Justine Duvalier story that was the first nail in the show's coffin. She broke up Jake & Paulina/Matt & Donna/John & Sharlene!!! Again, Jill had great moments: the sets were beautiful, I enjoyed many of the couples (i.e. Josie/Gary & Lorna/Gabe), but her duds here overshadowed the little good she did.

Same mess occurred on OLTL with killing off vets/faves. Some says she ran off Pam Long for writing for the show. She ran off Robin Strasser (Dorian) and nearly ran off HBS (Nora). Again, she had high points (hiring the stellar but ill Michael Zaslow and telling a story of the disease he was suffering from IRL, ALS). However, same occurred. Duds overshadowing good.

Same with GH. She fired Anna Lee (Lila) (probably with coaxing from Frons), who supposedly had a lifetime contract with the show. The poor woman died shortly after being fired. She then carried on with a Quartermaine family slaughter frenzy while force feeding the mob and providing no balance for the show. She produced great moments for an Emmy reel (and the awards to show for it), but again, duds over good.

With a history like this, I don't judge anyone that is fearful of what she might do on Y&R. I also don't have ill will towards Jill anymore b/c clearly the networks keep hiring her b/c she's doing something right, so it's whatever at this point. I just won't be surprised if she did decided to do a cast bloodbath b/c I've seen so much with her, I'm use to it. I have a love/hate relationship with JFP. She's provided me with moments in my soap viewing and bad ones too.

• Members

JFP has never immediately screwed up a show. Initially almost any writer or producer will try to give you what you want in order to secure their job. Once that happens they usually start with all the crazy shyt.

• Members

Well that's a matter of opinion. I find him to be an incredibly boring writer. He's not made out to be a Headwriter. I think the longer he is around, the more damage he'll do to JFP's tenure at Y&R. And then her complete undoing will be in replacing him.

• Members

People on some 'boards have been speculating about Nick/Summer paternity storyline based on a few spoilers that Y&R has put out there. If this is heading in the direction that I think, it may resemble

Soaps love to do those type of stories leading into the summer season.

• Members

Um....Ok,....that's not true AT ALL. No popular SB actors left under her reign (save Lane Davies, but that was for his own personal reasons) so no idea what you're talking about there. As far as a ratings erosion....yeah, that didn't happen under her either. The SB ratings erosion (not that they ever were great) is mostly attributed to John Conboy & Paul Rauch and Marcy Walker's departure in 1991. This is why I :lol: at the majority of the JFP haters on here. The "facts" they post are usually anything but!

Oh and FYI- I have watched all 5 of her soaps and honestly, JFP is the ONLY EP that I have ever followed from soap to soap. Rarely has she ever disappointed me.

• Members

So Todd McKee, Louise Sorel, Justin Deas, and Robin Wright weren't popular actors on Santa Barbara? Because I thought they were. They all played pivotal characters in the show's history and they all left during her reign--not saying that Jill was reason why but they were popular and left during her reign on the show, thus leaving a huge gap on the show. whistling.jpg

And there wasn't an ratings erosion from when Jill was there? B/c she was there till 1990, correct? From my research, SB allegedly went from having (full year ratings) a 4.9 in '88, to a slight drop in '89 to a 4.8, and then to a huge leap in '90 averaging a 3.7. That's not considered a ratings erosion?

And two, I'm not a JFP hater if you've read what I've said the past couple of pages. I said that I think she is a good EP production-wise when she has a good writer behind her. Jill is great with music and with sets. Story-wise, when Jill has total control, she is train wreck. IMO, its been proven that she doesn't always make the best decision (b/c of focus groups) and it results in fan backlash. She's only had one strong head writer on the FOUR soaps (Guiding Light to GH) I've seen her previously to Y&R. Nancy Curlee was the ONLY one that Jill meshed perfectly with.

Now she might not disappoint you but she disappoint others on this board and they have legit reason as to why based off her history. Again, I have a love/hate relationship with Jill. When Jill is good, she's GOOD. When Jill is bad, she's DREADFUL. Right now on Y&R, Jill is decent. Now that might change in the next months but as of now, I am optimistic that she'll improve the show for the betterment of the audience and not for herself, which Jill tends to do.

Archived