Y&R: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

The show feels like Y&R?

They've changed its tone, its dialogue, its pacing, the directing, the music, have destroyed half the characters and pimp out the rest. ;)

Apart from the actors and some of the sets, there are no similarities to the past.

It's less horrible that MAB's reign, I will give you that.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Character wise, I see no difference. Things evolve and people change. Are things perfect, no? But, the actors look happy again and in most cases invested. Things will never be like the good old days, and too much damage has been done, I prefer to look to the future than dwell on the past. To be honest, even the past had its moments of bleakness, just no internet to show it.

• Members

The biggest problem with the show now is that it's so f.ucking boring, there's really no direction, it's just rudderless. There's just no reason to want to tune in day after day.

I suppsoe that's better than that hatchet job the previous regime was doing with outrageous sensationalistic plots (and even then, the show was still BORING as hell).

But both scenarios are equally damaging in the longrun.

• Members

^^ From what I've seen, there are stories and dialogue. Y&R was never a fun everyday soap; it was always boring at times. Michael/Lauren are great right now, and I believe a lot of things are being developed in a gradual and steady motion. After Latham, I thought fans would appreciate that.

• Members

This fan hasn't forgotten anything. Y&R to me, when it was good, was every day, can't-miss-an-episode. Even the less good stories had a certain level of quality and consistency.

I'm not sure when you guys started watching, so we might be talking about completely different eras of the show, but everything has changed about it.

• Members

First of all, why are you so pressed about the matter? Any fan on here that has watched a past show under JFP is skeptical about anything she does. Again, her track record says it all.

Second, what she did at the other soaps isn't "alleged" it's fact. And this woman has no problems ushering out old, bringing in the new, and molding shows to fit her vision.

Third, no one is assuming that she's taking delight in the matter. You reaching for a claim that wasn't even stated. I simply said that no one is trying to demonize Jill; however, she doesn't have a squeaky clean past.

• Members
And she should be damn proud of it. When you are an Executive Producer of a show, you have to make unpopular decisons. Jill has an almost 40 year career in daytime. She's got a thick skin, and those pesky Emmys as a reward for her work.

• Members
Some of it, yes. But it's debatable how much of the other stuff (especially GH) was her and how much was the head writer's doing or network interference.

Let's look back at what fans were saying when she first took over.

- "JFP will fire all the vets!!!"

Not only has she not fired any vets, she's brought several back and elevated one recurring vet to contract.

- "JFP hates women over 40!!!"

There has been NO evidence of that at Y&R. In fact there's been plenty of evidence to the contrary. A woman over 40 is currently driving one of the biggest stories.

- "JFP is a racist! She'll dump all the black actors! KSJ doesn't have a prayer!!!"

She has brought on no less than three new black actors in the last 6 months, upgraded one recurring black actress to contract and the Winters are more front-and-center than they have been in years.

- "JFP 'hates fat chicks'!!!"

Beth Maitland is back for an extended stint.

- "Y&R will be refocused on the mob!!!"

Nope.

I'm not saying JFP is perfect - I have my issues with the music - but so far her Y&R has mostly been spot on.

Archived