OLTL - Monday, April 29th 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

The opening was a total mess. It wasn't a primetime or daytime feel to it just a disjointed mess. Did I miss the show's name flashed during it at all?

Llanfair brought me home. PP did a great job recreating it. Aw seeing Viki & Clint so happy and Nigel was a nice touch, too. Bo and Nora scenes lacked any real energy and I'm not impressed with new Matthew so far.

David still annoys me though I enjoyed the snickering over his sad SNL ripoff.

CB's Jeffrey, he is a total keeper. He oozes this great, natural charm!

The music at Shelter was too loud and the strobe lighting? was overdone. But IA with whomever said that many extras put recent GH parties to shame. Definitely felt more modern, hipper and feel of a PRIMETIME soap.

KM really delivered. I felt Dani's bone deep pain from the first minute. She does look older and cynical and sadder. Poor Téa, Flor plays her so disconnected from reality in the nursery scenes, it broke my heart.

Trevor stole the show, IMO. I was completely hooked on who was chasing him and why. He looked hot as hell too smile.png

I'm guessing Dorian's CIA black site info will tie back to the secret tattoo organization when Jeffrey follows up on his investigation?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Congrats on ur return @<a href="https://twitter.com/allmychildren">allmychildren</a> &amp; @<a href="https://twitter.com/onelifetolive">onelifetolive</a>! See new episodes on <a href="http://t.co/YFztAQcew9" title="http://hulu.com">hulu.com</a>! Maybe we could drop by the set sometime?</p>&mdash; backstreetboys (@backstreetboys) <a href="
29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Members

I don't think I can add much to what has already been said, so I'll just echo how awesome this first episode was.

A few things surprised me: 1) how slick and sophisticated OLTL looks and feels. It really feels like it can be compared to the international soaps, as it generally doesn't look cheap or have that stereotypical US soap image that is known around the world. 2) I didn't like Cutter in the ABCD version, but I actually didn't mind him at all here; he and Natalie have major potential, but so does Rama and him. 3) The dialogue is so much more realistic - characters aren't spewing out mouthfuls of words.

It was pacier that I expected, and the time flew by. I'd forgot that it was only 28 mins instead of the usual 36 mins, which is what I was wanting.

Obviously, the opening sucks. I don't think it fits with the style of the show. The lyrics / instrumental are underwhelming and lack punch. These things should stand out, and this doesn't.

ETA: David's fantasy was great. Really loved the little character moments that screamed depth and development. This is how you combine character driven with pacier storytelling.

• Members

This blew AMC out of the water. I said in its thread that show is for clean tweeners and soap vets who want a little of the old, OLTL is for people who are looking for something with more edge and style. Hell, Dani showed more personality in 20 minutes than her character ever had in however many seasons she was on the show. The kid set felt natural, even if I want to punch Matthew in the face (wanted to always do that--hate the character). Cutter/Nat was great, Rama is smokin', and the show oozes sex appeal and old rivalries without being beholden to either at the moment.

But I'm not ready to say this is better than AMC or believe this tenor lasts. It's hard to judge the show based on one episode or one set of tapings but I feel it has the better start than AMC, even if AMC might have more likable characters from moment one. I'm going to have to grow to like Dani, Jeffery, nu-Destiny, et. al. With AMC, I liked AJ and Miranda instantly because they had chemistry but this is a slightly old teen set and the show is aiming for a different end game for the set (AMC is like post-Disney/Nickelodeon shows where kids will get into trouble by being kids; OLTL feels late 90s MTV soaps--Undressed/Spydergames, so its aiming at kids who seek trouble).

But I want what I watch to be challenging as well as fun. OLTL feels like that with this episode. I'm going to have to grow to like new characters, reassess some old favs, and see how the kid set navigates being teens on the cusp of adulthood (or thrust into adulthood by circumstances they're unprepared for).

• Members

Oh, and great cliffhanger.

Though my one complaint is they need a better music consultant. There's better dance music that would also go with their aesthetic. I couldn't help but think of someone like Charli XCX and Grimes. Got to spend a bit more on licensing, it does more to make shows than to break them online.

• Members

I missed you disliking it but I'm glad you're on board :) I just hope new shots (like of TSJ) can blend seamlessly. Hell, I hope he was there when they shot it. And I hope to got they were smart enough to shoot individual shots of people but they probably weren't.

• Members

My mom texted me letting me know her impressions of both shows.. since this is for OLTL, I will only post what she told me as a 50 + year old. Of course, she told me that she hasn't watched OLTL since the 80s so I reassured her that I would answer any question she may have.

-She loved Dorian's entrance, stating that no character could do an entrance like Dorian. She also loved Vicki being the main cause of Dorian's eventual downfall as a senator.

-She was intrigued with Dani and wanted to know about her. So I told her who she was, and then she asked me if Tea was the one in the nursery.. so I explained via text about the baby switch.

-She kept referring to Todd as old Todd, even though I told her that he is Todd and that Todd is really Victor Jr brainwashed to believe he was Todd. She said she didn't care, he was still old Todd to her.

-She thought Destiny was cute and that Bo and Nora's son was kind of a jerk.

-She loved David and his disco moves. I think she has a little crush on Tuc Watkins myself LOL

-Plus, she kept telling me that she thought Natalie was beautiful.. and wanted to know how she was related.

Finally, she said that she is more attached to AMC so she isn't the best judge.. but she said OLTL seemed more slick and gimmicky then AMC.

I explained about how the last regime turned the show into a campfest.. and that the new regime was trying to balance out the camp with some darker elements.

She said both Todd's looked pretty dark and menacing to her so she said they succeeded on the darker aspect. No word from her if she will be trying episode #2 tomorrow... though she did favorite it ahead of time. So I give her props for trying out OLTL even though she hasn't really watched it consistently since the Judith Light era LOL

• Members

I like that opening. I don't care what that makes me. It's as fun and cheesy and weird as the '90s opener, and I liked that too. I just like it. And the song. The song is great.

Would I object to some revisions? Nope. Lookin' at you, Teen Planeteers.

Archived