OLTL - Monday, April 29th 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

We get the shows on the FX channel here in Canada. And I think PP needs to pull the shows off youtube pronto! If I lived in a country where I couldn't see the shows, I might be whistling a different tune, but these shows are depending on ad revenue from the official viewing sites to survive.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I love it being on youtube (thats how I watch American Soaps) I do get why its best for PP if there not up.

As us overseas can watch but imo thats quite a small amount of people. Plus you'd get American/Canadian folks watching there instead of the proper ways.

• Members

Antiquated thinking says hello!

I get the revenue aspect, I really do. But for any online endeavor to be successful, even old daytime soaps with a supposed built-in audience, there better be international parameters set. YouTube is how I'm able to catch British and Australian shows I want to watch and in return, I find ways to give them money where I can (when they release DVD sets I can watch in America, which is rare).

The bigger argument is that views can't be measured and you can delineate between North American and international viewers. NA views will be measure via PP and Hulu, but those eyeballs from int'l viewers (and YouTube views can easily be tampered with) don't matter. PP should set up their own YouTube account and take control of this stuff because it'll deter others from uploading if PP is doing so, but then again it would likely come at a delay and without an int'l filter, it's unlikely any of this will happen.

You have to remember being online changes the whole landscape. I'm not defending the uploaders but I am defending the notion that international audiences don't matter. People want OLTL and AMC to survive, they better hope desperately they find a cult audience globally. And if it's by illegal YouTube uploads at the moment, you have to hope those in North America split the revenue difference.

• Members

Okay so just saw the Victor ending. Wow. Wonder how he got free and since he is free, why is he roaming around and keeping his identity a secret from Tea and his kids. Hope he doesn't stay hidden for too long.

My wish is that once he is reunited with Tea, they learn their son is alive and they go searching for him

Archived