OLTL - Monday, April 29th 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'll still be watching thankfullywink.png

I've always loved my Soaps & got hooked on Days when it was shown here. Then when I finally got Internet in 05 I decided to catch up on Days.

I then started reading about the other shows & bought the Coffee Table books. Then thanks to YT started watching I think 06/07.

OLTL quickly became my fave.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SBH and TR are obviously mirroring some of RH's 2011 return story. But Trevor's escape from the bad guy and lurking is already 1000 x times better written drama than RH's campy 2011 mess.

I'm guessing CIA black sites ties back into Irene's black ops and that's a very good umbrella mystery to unfold!

I've given up hope the baby is alive somewhere. The grief over losing that baby instead drives her depression and more tensions with Todd in the future.

• Members
  • Members

Ithink they still complement each other.

I wondered about the end credits--here in Canada, FXCanada ended with the message to the fans, but I thought theywere tight for timeso cut the end credits. Odd.

For the record FXCanada rated both episodes TVPG (oddly, often the soaps on network tv are rated TV14)

• Members

That opening is pretty crappy though, LOL! They could have just went Degrassi and featured the younger characters dancing at Shelter while the older characters were in their respective environments. Hopefully both shows replace these awful opening sequences with clip-based sequences down the road.

As I said in my status, I only skimmed through some major scenes here, but I have to say that I'm truly impressed with what they've cooked up for OLTL. I can totally do without anything Todd/Victor-related, so I won't comment on any of that nonsense, but I'm really digging what they have for a younger set, especially since their younger characters are depicted as slightly older than AMC's (thus opening up more mature story avenues). Kelley Missal, of whom I've never been a fan, is winning me over with just bits and pieces of her in this. I don't harbor any hatred towards KA, but she clearly isn't needed here. Even AT has stepped up his game, and I think Jack as a semi-sleazy/wormy type works well. I thought LH was very Shenell-esque in some of her line delivery (especially the self-defense with Matthew), but it's not a huge problem. Gorrie's great so far as !@#$%^&*] Matt.

LOVE the contrast between the nightlife at Shelter and the older folks in their fancy, elegant mansions. That's one of the concepts I loved about RC's early OLTL, and I'm glad it's here in full force. I NEVER EVER say this, but I honestly believe OLTL might have a little bit more going for it than AMC, based solely on snap judgments. It does have more of a foundation, I think, because it basically follows the classic two-family soap set up (Bukes and Lords), with others thrown in. Picking up not too far away from where it ended also helps, but I don't think AMC could have pulled that off.

ALSO, with OLTL, I feel as if there is less loneliness. Just about everyone has friends or family members in town, whereas with AMC, that's not so, and it really shows.

Archived