Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If Perr is indeed directing all of the episode, he is as poor ashis repuation for direction says. There's this really weird and disconcerting stylistic thing he does in th show with having characters close up fill the tv frame and talk directly into the camera, while looking just out of the frame--yes the close up into the camera is a soap cliche, but something about how it's used in this show feels odd to me. That is all :P

• Members

My favorite scene was the Jim/Katheryn scene. It was a long scene that detailed the tension and mutual disinterest between the two of them. A very clear portrait of their marriage... very Ingmar Bergman.. imho! Scenes from a Marriage type of material.

• Members

OMG! :lol: Just watched the first episode. Wow. Where do I begin? The ridiculous, repetitive, worse-than-daytime dialogue? The awful directing? Some of the acting (Katheryn especially)? The overhead lighting that gave the impression it was all shot in front of a green screen (I'm not 100% convinced the party goers were not spliced into the main group's background)? The comical, whimsical music? It all looked like a slightly better version of Passions.

So, naturally, I'm interested to keep watching, although I don't think I will for long.

Pluses: Naked Jim, Wyatt and Benny. OMG. Deliciousness.

Enjoyed TS and can see her as a complicated bitch.

LOVED Hanna. I think she was my favorite.

I'm sad they botched the reveal between Jim and Candace. Not that I didn't see it coming but I expected it to be more dramatic.

However, the dynamic between Hanna and Candace sparkled. That was the one, and only, part of the episode that felt real, resonant.

Let's see....

• Members

Oh my! Has this show's luster worn off already? Where is everybody? LOL. No one seems to be responding nearly the way they did last week. Unfortunately, I have nothing to say about the show because I missed it (thought I got the torrents thing right but I didn't). I saw the pilot episode on Youtube (it has since been removed) and I missed the second episode. I think it's super annoying that they're not allowing this show's episodes to air either On Demand or on the OWN website. I may just have to wait for a DVD of the show IF that even happens.

• Members

I thought tonight's episode was good. I loved that all the characters love all the have tints of gray in them. No one, well with the exception of Amanda, is too "goody-goody." I'm also loving how TP is creating a show with strong relationships, so when the sh*t hits the fan and all is revealed, everyones relationships will be in question.

That tiff between Katheryn & Jim was so good. I love how Katheryn isn't the stereotypical whining housewife that cries over her husband cheating. I love how she has him at the balls and purse strings.

The dialogue might not be Shakespearean but I'm loving this show at the moment. It's filling that soapy void that none of the daytime soaps are giving me at this point.