Tony Geary, Jane Elliot, Kin Shriner TV Guide Interview

• Members

I think the issue is that TG stubbornly maintained in the press that even though Luke had turned into a constant drinker who ran over a toddler and didn't realize it, he was not, repeat, not an alcoholic, you squares. He just made a mistake and he should never quit drinking because Luke is a dark, edgy, tortured soul craving the light he shall never have, etc etc I've only got one iconic role and Bill Eckert didn't work out so I'm going to force a million different other roles into this one and break the character...you get the idea. It's all bullshit.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty much. I know it's possible for some alcoholics to sober up, and then later on start "responsibly" drinking again. But when Luke has done it, the past few times, it's always been out of anger, he was a character who recently got drunk, drove, and killed a family member basically, had a huge intervention around it--and now we have actors who (I assume are in an awkward situation as to if they should react) play characters like Anna who don't seem to think twice when Luke grabs someone's drink out of anger and slams it back.

• Members

I wrote that I read about the accident. It's pretty easy to assume that if he was supposed to have stopped drinking, it was because of that.

So "umm" I knew that already. Did you miss where I said I read about it? It's in what you quoted from my post.

What seems silly to argue to me is that Tony Geary is lying about mutliple on the record comments about liking a particular writer based on speculation about what "disrespect" he has due to changing a scene, which could be for any of a number of reasons. If he disagrees with Luke stopping drinking because of the accident, or with Luke being an alcoholic, that's about that, it's not about Carlivati per se. Weren't the accident and intervention before Carlivati even started?

For the record, I do think Geary liked Guza too, at least in the beginning. Geary loved Guza and hated Culliton, that's one reason I was mad at Tony Geary for so long. Just because Geary likes Carlivati doesn't mean he didn't like Guza.

• Members

Tony Geary gets what Tony Geary wants. He wants Luke to still be a drinker, Luke will remain a drinker (despite what the writers want). I thought they might change Ethan's paternity since so many fans hated it, but it appears Ethan will remain a Spencer. I have no doubt Geary had some pull there as well. And I think we all know Geary doesn't want "Luke & Laura" so I wonder if Luke will go back to Tracy eventually. We shall see.

• Members

Don't blame TG for not wanting LL any longer. That ship has sailed and Genie is just a piece of driftwood trying to hang on to her life raft, Luke/TG! However, I think AnaL are back on the horizon. They were reconnecting last week at the helicopter until Droopy showed up and interrupted them.

• Members

I kinda got the feeling Genie necessarily doesn't want to go down the LL road again, and honestly, I don't blame either. They still somewhat 'have it' but the marathon just proved how trashed those characters became. Unless they write a true falling back in love storyline, they should just move forward. IDK. I'm kind of torn on the subject.

Tony has often made his dislike known but he seems to change on whims so who knows? I think they're probably both just tired of it being trotted out for nostalgia sake, that's at least how I usually took it. And if they don't like each other ... it happens. We never like to hear it but I'm sure there's more than we even realize.

Luke and Laura just had something back in the day and it was stomped on. I don't think they can go back.

• Members

AnaL are done, they were never much anyways, it was all one sided on Luke's part. Plus they were outright nasty.

Tony, Genie's life raft?? hahahaha, more like the other way around, notice how most say they despise Luke until he has scenes with Laura wink.png Heck Laura's the reason that Luke even stuck around to begin with(originally), people didn't care for Luke till he was in Laura's orbit in the 70's., even Geary has said in the past.

I'm willing to bet they'll do Luke & Tracy before they'd go to any other pairing

• Members

The house that Luke and Laura had all those years ago is a pile of rubble. Lucky and Elizabeth lived there together, and when everything came out about her cheating, he burned the place down.

• Members

Genie has made her disdain clear in interviews, and I think she likely regrets the show ever writing this romance, especially on top of a rape. She has seemed so happy in her other soaps, even when she was basically a huge flop, and always seems miserable at GH.

They are sort of an example of the darkside of supercouples - when people who likely aren't close and whose romance onscreen likely repulses them both are still shackled together.

• Members

Wouldn't it be awesome if she refused to play the romance with Luke? You know, the way TG refuses to play Luke as a human being.

I'd love for Laura to get a romance that isn't Scott or Luke or some obsessive Cassadine. Can't some older guy just come to town and fall for her?

Archived