• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the two-parter structure of this series has steadily improved as it's gone along, but The Girl Who Waited is definitely up there as Capaldi and Coleman's very best work. Just incredible and I have no idea where it's going next with the second half. I also like that they have not abandoned the ongoing subplot - of Clara becoming the Doctor's ultimate Doctor-like companion, and withdrawing more and more from her own life into their shared existence. As joyous as their re-affirmation of life was at the end of the Christmas special, it also felt a lot to me like Clara refusing to deal with her loss and a normal life. This series, so far, still shows me her cruising for a rough end.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Bob Baker appears to once again be attempting a K9 solo project - this time a movie.

David Tennant and Catherine Tate are reprising the Tenth Doctor and Donna in Big Finish audio dramas next year.

Their new adventures - along with those of Kate Stewart, the War Doctor, and River Song, among others - are previewed here.

Edited by Vee

• Members

There's always violently negative and positive reaction. I think it's been pretty decent so far, but it has yet to really wow me like Series 8. That's likely part of the function of the 2-parters this year. The upcoming Zygon story is supposed to be very good.

They tend to not officially announce anyone at DW until the current series is complete, but I believe there was an intv the other day where Moffat mentioned he is already working on next year. Which appears to be what your link suggests as well...

Edited by Vee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I knew Jenna was leaving this season but I didn't know it would be this episode. As Clara was saying her goodbye, I kept expecting a last minute save which shows just how low the stakes are for me and this show. Nothing feels like it matters anymore.

I couldn't have cared less about Clara's death.

• Members

I think it's both. I feel like Clara's end should've come at the Christmas special. At the same time, one of the issues inherent with time travel as a plot device is the possibility that anything that happens can be undone. It's gotten harder and harder for me to invest in any character but it's especially hard for to invest in Clara because she's gone from being Oswin to the Impossible Girl (which they don't even mention at her death scene?) to this attempted bootleg Doctor. I don't hate Clara the way a lot of people do but I've rarely been able to invest in her. Not with the Doctor(s) or with Danny. In fact, the only times I've ever really liked Clara has been when she's interacted with her students.

But if I'm honest I have to say that something about this season just isn't working for me. I love Capaldi something about this season just feels off. Like I'm waiting for something to happen that will make this all cohesive and real.