9/11/01-Soaps

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Obviously all the soaps were pre-empted that week obviously due to the 9/11 coverage and picked up the following week on the 17th.

Both the covers for SOD and SID CBS featured Brooke and Taylor on B&B and the covers got the attention of the mainstream press due to the nature of the cover headlines "Old enemies declare new war!" and "B&B EXPLODES!" Very bad timing indeed.

As far as the immediate aftermath, I recall reading a couple soaps, I believe GH and PC had to rewrite and drop storylines they were writing featuring terrorism. Days' Christmas episode that year did a special tribute to the event and the cast decorated the tree with ornaments dedicated to lost NYPD officers and fire fighters. A year later Y&R held Victor and Nikki's wedding around the same time.

• Members

I think AMC rewrote a plot too. But, of that I'm not exactly sure.

I was in middle school at the time. But, watched ATWT/GL on tape when I got home. I cannot remember what they did. If anything.

Too bad we never got to see the bio-toxin story. That would have been great. Yet, we are seeing one 11 years later. Sans Helena though.

• Members

If you are talking about what I am thinking about I think you might be thinking about the Oklahoma bombing, which ABC squashed a storyline by Megan McTavish on AMC where Janet was supposed to blow up Pine Valley. That was later done in 2006 for February sweeps.

This current biotoxin storyline is a re-tread anyway though. GH originally had one back in 2006/2007.

• Members

The bombing was supposed to go off at Trevor and Laurel's wedding ceremony. By this point, Felcity LaFortune proably saw all the writing on the wall, tptb wanted Laurel dead: car accidents, churck bombs, comas, and finally the gunshot. How such an unfavoured actress lasted as long as she did is beyond me.

• Members

ATWT and GL had special close at the end of an episode about the tragedy (with ATWT it was Don Hastings "Bob" talking and with GL it was Jerry verDorn "Ross" talking) as they both were from NYC, and other cast members were there. Port Charles had something similar...though that seemed to be taped later.

Archived