Unpopular Opinions on TV (Outside of Soaps)

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

I think Laurie's second Emmy came from the episodes where Fisher beat Jackie up.

At the time, Roseanne's Emmy win for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series was considered one of the most controversial ones in Hollywood, as she was so anti-establishment, she didn't even show up to accept it (claiming she was sick).

I think Roseanne (the show) hit its absolute peak in quality in season 5 - it was just a superb mixture of the show's grounded socially relevant content and the somewhat outrageous nature that consumed the latter seasons. That season just holds up so well 20 years later.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show itself was never nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series, was it? It got a Peabody, though, which is

definitely an honor.

Seasons 4 and 5 are my favorites for sure. It just got more and more over the top--and unfortunately, Laurie

probably was the worst offender. I know she actually met up with Don Knotts at one point to take pointers from him in characterization, but she took it TOO far later on.

• Members

I hated that they made Jackie into a buffoon from season 7 onward. She was always a bit out there, but they made her too stupid and outrageous in the latter years.

Coincidentally, the decline of Jackie's characterization coincided with the decline of the show from season 7 onward, IMO. Season 6 was the last overall GREAT season of the show, IMO.

• Members

I never got the appeal of Family Matters, Full House, or any of those other sitcoms. Lori Loughlin and John Stamos were the only actors I ever liked on Full House.

I also never got the appeal of Catherine Hicks. Not even on Ryan's Hope, which my mom used to make me watch with her. Speaking of unpopular opinions there, I LOVED Kathleen Tolan!! She was so bad that she was good. I loved her frozen face, her scowl, and her stuttering. I don't know why so many people hated her.

Jensen Ackles is hot, but I find him smarmy and smug onscreen on Supernatural even when his character isn't being an obnoxious !@#$%^&*]. He's a good actor but he's way too smarmy most of the time.

I find Kyra Sedgwick grating. I can't get past that voice of hers.

Snookie on Jersey Shore is way too trashy. Does she do anything other than get drunk all the time?

• Members

I considered Carrie screwed up in a damaged way when it became clear to me (around Season 2) that she lived, breathed, and shat Big, even though he treated her like the scum beneath his shoe. Don't get me wrong, their imbalanced relationshit made for good TV for me, but I came to the conclusion about Carrie when she kept on trying to find ways to get him to commit to her (or hell, claim her as his forever love - all the more reason why I thought their ending sucked).

Glad to know, though, that I'm not the only one who found Aiden boring as hell. Granted, Carrie did treat him like sh!t, but I always got that love-the-one-you're-with vibe throughout their run.

Another SATC UO: I liked Trey McDougal and do believe that he tried his best to be a good husband to Charlotte. While he was terrible in bed and couldn't remove his mouth from his mother's teat, I thought he was patient in the face of Charlotte's unrealistic expectations about marriage. I would've liked to have seen him just one last time after they ended.

• Members

RE SATC, i love that the show i loved that the writers allowed the audience to hate and judge carrie, esp during her affair with Big. They could have made it grand and romantic, but they kept it seedy and dirty. She knew it was wrong, she didnt care. Thats rarely done. Shows seem obsessed with making the leads bad decisions OK.

• Members
Yes, yes, yes! Exactly my thoughts! The fact that they allowed her to make the mistake and didn't try to gloss over it and prop her up was absolutely terrific writing; in the end, she was a woman who knew what she wanted and went for it, consequences be damned.

I don't know about Carrie being damaged, per se; I think, ultimately the problem was that what she wanted was Big and nothing would change that. That's why she couldn't marry, that's why she cheated and pushed Aidan away--Big was the one. And I cannot possibly agree with Aiden being boring lol But even if we do say that her quirkiness/fun was played down and damage played up, I see that as a logical consequence of the show entering a fourth/fifth season... there had to be a reason why she continued to be single, right? Besides, the show became much more serialized and serious.

Loved Miranda's evolution, at least up until Season 6 (Movie 1 was tolerable but Movie 2 was horrific in regards to Miranda... well, and everything else). All the ladies evolved and changed; great character writing.

Archived