Unpopular Opinions on TV (Outside of Soaps)

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was a kid when Full House originally ran and even we the target audience made fun of it in school. Now when I watch shows like Leave it to Beaver I wonder if the kids back then clowned the sitcoms of their era too, instead of assuming that's how people really lived back then.

• Members

Perhaps, I need to step outside my love of it to watch it again because I've never gotten the impression that the show was taking itself too seriously. This isn't the first time that I've heard this critique of SATC so I may just be missing something here.

Another SATC UO: Perhaps it's because she was my favorite of the foursome, but I thought that Miranda underwent the most character growth throughout the series and loved her ending. I call this a UO because many viewers complained that she'd gone from being a powerful lawyer to a domesticated homebody, which I disagree with.

• Members

I thought the Miranda arc was a good one, overall - I thought it was true to her character and she and Steve were a good couple.

For me the show changed when it became less about Carrie being quirky and screwed up in a fun way and more about how damaged she was and how this was despair (this started around the time of the arc with boring Aiden).

• Members

I don't think any Full House fan would dispute this. Full House is way over the top with that corny music that would play towards the end of the episode when the "lesson" was taught. But Full House with its overly cheesy overly-PC atmosphere really defines the 90s well and they just don't make TV like that anymore.

The "Stephanie is bullied by the girls who smoke in the bathroom" episode was robbed of the emmy that year.

• Members

My unpopular opinion: I love the Simpsons episode "The Principal and the Pauper" (where Skinner is revealed to be an imposter, often considered the "worst episode ever.") I think it's a brilliant commentary on how resistant people are to even the most minor change.

• Members

Considering I've seen strong criticisms of both of these shows on this board, I'd consider this unpopular. I believe that Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy are two of the best shows of the last ten years and certainly this decade's Dallas/Dynasty or Melrose Place/90210. Just my opinion.

• Members

It is weird. People think it spent its entire run on Friday nights, but it moved to Tuesday during its fourth season, airing with shows like Roseanne, Coach, The Wonder Years, and eventually Grace Under Fire. Even more bizarrely, NYPD Blue finished the lineup during its last two seasons.

laugh.png

Fast Friends (the one where Stephanie is pressured to smoke) is actually one of my favorites. I have to confess that I actually

got Jodie Sweetin's autobiography for Christmas one year *hides* .

Possible Coach UO:

I liked Stuart and Kelly (until he cheated on her, of course, and ditched her), and enjoy their episodes almost as much as the ones after they left.

• Members

Oh yes, defintely. Did that get her the second Emmy?

Roseanne won hers for this episode.

Laurie's first Emmy was for the episode where Jackie slept with Arnie. After she won, she was shown at the end of the Dark Ages

episode polishing off her Emmy before Roseanne and John Goodman start chasing her. It's always cut in syndication, but I think the

DVDs have it (and it's on YouTube, too).

ETA: There were two Roseanne marathons on yesterday--one on WE, the other on TV Land. Not that I'm complaining. smile.png

Archived