Unpopular Opinions on TV (Outside of Soaps)

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Bumping thread up to share a couple more UOs:

As much as Heather Locklear is heralded in being the television equivalent of a life raft, I think that her arrival on Spin City marked the decline of that show (and not the eventual departure of Michael J. Fox, though that certainly didn't help matters). Not because she didn't fit on a sitcom (I thought she did quite well, considering that she'd never been on one in a starring role before), but because the chemistry of the cast had finally gelled together perfectly in the previous season. IMO, the arrival of TV Superstar Heather Locklear (on the heels of Jennifer Esposito - who I really enjoyed - leaving) messed up what had taken at least two seasons to accomplish.

While I'm on the subject of Spin City, it's the only show that I've enjoyed Connie Britton on. This isn't to say that I think that she isn't a good actress (I honestly have no opinion on that), but I've never been interested in keeping up with her subsequent projects past the first episode (that goes for Friday Night Lights, Nashville, and American Horror Story).

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am going to mainly address the usual opinions I saw around - the decline of shows as they went along. In my personal opinion, in no way, shape or form did Six Feet Under decline after season 2 and neither did Gilmore Girls/Veronica Mars in their last season.

And as far as other things are concerned:

- The New Adventures of Old Christine was quite an entertaining show.

- I still stand by my Seinfeld dislike.

- The ending of Lost did not disappoint me. It's the journey that counted.

- I can't sit through an episode of any edition of Star Trek.

- The Apprentice is such a guilty pleasure, I just can't give it up.

• Members

I absolutely agree.

Esp on VMars, who did have to expand and grow being the nior niche show of s1 and be more broad for s3 to even get picked up. I liked the split season mysteries and how they connected into eachother. After abusive relationships with Logan and Duncan, i loved her with Piz. Lamb added a lot, too. I loved where it ended too and think a s4 in the FBI would have been great.

• Members

The Oprah Winfrey show - I cannot stand Oprah. She's preachy and self righteous. I never got her appeal and after all these years I still don't.

Xena: Warrior Princess - A fantastic show that ended too soon because the writing became OOC in seasons 4 - 6. Xena became a hypocritical shrew and the writers catered to the lesbian community by creating lesbian undertones between Xena and Gabrielle which was unnecessary.

• Members

Yeah once she was interviewing Lisa Marie Presley and she was grilling her about marrying Michael Jackson: "What did you see in him?" "Ewww what were you thinking?", etc. It was so fake to me because she had done interviews with him all in his face grinning and you turn around and try to perpetuate this notion that he is disgusting and its completely unbelievable someone would want him.

(I do think the marraige was false, but Oprah was PRESSING the issue so hard and she did it on two different interviews with LMP.)

• Members

When MJ died she reflected that her 1993 interview she had with him cemented her status because it was literally the first time he had granted an interview to anyone and she was so happy. She was singing his praises for years and the second the Martin Bashir special aired depicting MJ as a disturbing pedophile she became two faced. The bitch always knew that MJ liked little boys and she wanted to hop on the "let's bash MJ" train.

Her entire show (minus the celebrity interviews) was condescending and even the laughs were them seemed fake. It became about brow beating people to live by her set of morals and if you didn't you were a "bad" person. I remembered the episode when she tore James Fry apart for his embellishment in his book. She had every right to be upset but her entire attitude screamed entitlement. I truly felt James was going to commit suicide after the beating he got. She is so fake to me and I have no doubt she's a bitch behind the scenes. She always rubbed me the wrong way... has for years.

• Members

Thank You !!!! You have said what I have thought for years. I get sick when someone spouts " Oprah Said Blah Blah Blah" I wish she would just go away/retire. Can't stand her.

Despise Dr. Oz and his quackery. He wants everyone to live their life/ eat / think like he does. There was that stupid crap where he or a voice over comes on and would say something like " Coming up 5 things in your house that could slowly be killing you" or 10 things in your diet that could be killing you or 12 things you could be using is slowly killing you blah blah. His ole puss is on the cover of a magazine everytime I check out somewhere.

I thought the first season of Facts Of Life (1979-1980) was OK. Nancy McKeon as Jo did make the show better in season 2, but season 1 was charming in it's own way. I think they should have kept at least Mr. Bradley as the Head Master.

Hated Friends with a passion. Wish it was wiped from the face of the earth.

Ray Romano, Kevin James, Tim Allen etc.......ruined sitcoms. They helped start the dumb husband/ careless father/all men are stupid and need a bitc*y wife to keep them in line and tell them what to do trend.

The majority of music since the end of the 80's has sucked.

• Members

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MichaelGL" data-cid="1095678" data-time="1337737018"><p>

I'm not sure if this is a UO, but I found more entertainment and laughter in the line up that included My Wife and Kids and the George Lopez show on ABC, than any other sitcoms produced with a laugh track within the past 5-6 years. I found My Wife and Kids a quality that rivaled many classic family sitcoms.</p></blockquote>

My Wife and Kids was great in its first 3 seasons. After Junior got a girl pregnant, we were introduced to Calvin's brute ass, Franklin got more annoying, Michael went from a smart and ccaring father to a blithering idiot, and don't get me started on Junior being dumbed down. I couldn't deal with the buffoonery.

I absolutely LOATHED Ross and Rachel on Friends. I wish they had stopped the show at the turn of the century. The last 3 seasons were horrible.

Oh, and I have always thought Seinfeld was a piece of sh-t show.

• Members

Don't know if this unpopular but I loved Full House throughout its entire.

Fonzie annoyed the sh-t of me on Happy Days.

The Brady Bunch was horrible. Peter and Greg though :wub:

Hated Sondra and Elvin on The Cosby Show and wish someone had smothered them with bleach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I like Jack, Daniel and Aiden on Revenge and all the actors, especially Barry Sloane from his Hollyoaks days.

Joel and Julia have always been the best part of Parenthood and are one of the best couples on TV.

The Killing season two and Twin Peaks season two were still flawless television to me and I'll never understand why people couldn't just enjoy the fantastic ride these shows gave us (or just me, apparently)

Anya was the best part of Buffy and once Xander left her at the altar I've never forgiven him and am pissed he didn't die instead of her in the finale. They also should have had more episodes centered on her and her past. And on Angel, they were stupid to ever kill Lilah, especially since she was Wesley's best pairing.

I was totally with AMS legititmately wanting a Tyler / Jeremy pairing on The Vampire Diaries. Now they rarely have scenes together.

Pairing Robin and Barney romantically killed How I Met Your Mother. Also, Alyson Hannigan is always holding back when playing Lily. I thought she had much more screen presence on Buffy / American Pie, but she's missing something on HIMYM.

This may be weird, but ever since the episode of Friends where they showed that Ross / Phoebe had almost hooked up, I wanted them together for real. That should have been the story instead of the dreadful Rachel / Joey crap.

• Members

Me too. People say it became the Michelle Show later on, but I loved DJ and Stephanie so much that I just focus on them. Seasons 6-8 actually have some of my favorite episodes.

That doesn't mean I don't snark on it now, though.

Also: DJ/Nelson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DJ/Steve.

And I can't resist posting this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sCORuqZQY

Archived