Unpopular Opinions on TV (Outside of Soaps)

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I loved every single minute of Diana Fairgate on KNOTS LANDING. She was absolutely the most realistic teenager I have seen on TV (in my viewing experience, at least), which means she was a loud, annoying, irritable, nonsensical, blabbering mess. And I just loved it. Her relationship with Karen was so multi-layered and complicated; antagonistic, vulnerable, loving and caring at times. Just wub.png

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed on all points. Love that this became a Roseanne thread. :) I am a HUGE Roseanne fan, but concentrate mostly on seasons 1-6. Season 7 is when it started going downhill with jokes that weren't funny, characters that were just *mean*, Jackie becoming a cartoonish oaf, and the kids coming 'n going episode by episode. I won't even comment on the final season. There were still some good ones in there in seasons 7 and 8, but 9.... yikes.

I always liked in the early years how Jackie was the cool single aunt that the kids actually admired instead of mocking.

• Members

Anyone else watch the home shopping channels?

Although I rarely ever buy anymore, I still watch HSN and QVC occasionally for the entertainment factor and the often sheer hilarity of the home shopping industry. Each network has their own hierarchy of hosts with a few of the more 'popular' hosts being totally aloof divas. (If you're on during prime time hours, a host can make high 6 figures!) The aloofness is seen most especially when they take live phone calls with some callers drooling all over the hosts only to have the hosts cut them off rudely despite all the praise being lavished on them. Unlike the old days, rarely do prank callers make it on the air anymore. But a bunch of kooks do make it on the air occasionally. One lady talked about how she hadn't gotten new underwear in over a decade and was so excited to be getting a fresh pair! The demographics of these networks skew old and many of the most loyal viewers are seemingly shut ins who resort to home shopping for company and the fact that they never leave the house anymore.

You can also tell when the hosts despise the products their selling or the vendors selling them. One time a host spit out the food he was selling and blurted out "This is DISGUSTING ..... I mean GOOD. Disgustingly GOOD." Nice try, not buying it. And then there are the desperate vendors. Suzanne Somers is notorious for this. She used to be a big time player on HSN but they dumped her, her 'miracle' hormone treatments, and her 'ladies of the night' fashion line and now she's slumming it over at ShopNBC, which is like the ION or PAX of the home shopping channels. A couple weeks ago she was selling magical chocolate bars! And still yammering on about how she lost all her precious possessions (but not her "hope") in the Great Malibu Fire of a few years ago. Wolfgang Puck on HSN is another totally rude vendor. He constantly whines and complains when he's on and he bitches out the cameramen constantly for not getting the correct close up on his frying pans.

A bunch of daytime stars used to frequent the various channels. Melody Thomas Scott and Kristian Alfonso both had apparel lines on HSN before they were dumped a few years ago. Linda Dano still shows up occasionally on the overnight hours on QVC selling home decor. Susan Lucci, who used to be one of the biggest names in home shopping, has now been reduced to only selling the Malibu Pilates chair on HSN every few months. Previously, she hawked jewelry, clothing, and intimates. I always thought her jewelry line was garish and her negligees could be at times cringeworthy looking. They don't even let her sell her Herbal Essences line anymore. When HSN announced they were going to start selling the NO!NO! a few months ago, I got super excited thinking Kassie DePaiva would be on, but alas it was just some random lady from the company. And I was shocked that the NO!NO! costs $250! Highway robbery!

QVC has really fallen apart over the last few years. The over the top, diva hosts who talk over everyone, rudely dismiss callers and claim they own every product they sell on air has gotten to be too much. Plus when they started selling clothing by the Kardashians I knew they were in rough shape.

• Members

To me the show becoming more serialized and serious was a mistake. I thought a lot of the changes were mostly depressing, over time, and I felt like both Carrie and Samantha suffered greatly under this format. I did not care about seeing Samantha's attempts to fall in love or her struggles or whatever else. I mostly preferred her as the fun campy mess of the first few seasons.

I thought the only character who really benefited from the format change was Charlotte. The problem was that by the end I no longer knew why she spent time with the other ladies. I thought her friendship with Mario Cantone (who annoys me, especially since I learned he insulted Ruth Warrick on The View, but who worked very well with Kristin Davis) became much more believable.

I also thought the dissolution of Carrie's friendship with Stanford was sad. By the end I just didn't believe it anymore.

• Members

I think making it, basically, a soap opera actually benefited Carrie and Miranda the most. Miranda was given such layers and played by CN with such depth. While I liked her in season 1 & 2, i came to love her the more the series went on. And as for Carrie, it becoming a serialized how really helped her because of the same reason really. Before that, she was just kinda the focus point to be the focus point and for no other reason, dating a different man every epsiode while claiming to want love even though from the start it was clear she had fallen for big, it being a episodic show didnt let that go anywhere. Yes, she came off awful at time, in fact for basically an enitre season it was very easy to hate her - but that journey was great and SJP played her emotions so well. I hated carrie for cheating on Aiden with Big, but I also got it. She loved him, she wanted him, and the hell with anything that happened because of it - I have been there, I think a lot of us have been. I just think is amazingly brave to let the audience hate your lead for so long. And by the end - after having the perfect man in Aiden, a great run that ended in disaster with Burger, and a sweeping romance with Alexander, Carrie absolutely ended with the right man in Big.

Samantha was hurt by it, and she should have stayed campy and fun. But the show tried to keep her that even after making it soapy for a few seasons. Id wager that KC wanted something juice to play like the other women.

Charlotte was always more serialized than the other girls, she the transition was pretty seamless.

• Members

I loved Trey on SATC as well and hated when he and Charlotte ended. i had hoped they would get their stuff together

I hated early Miranda. I found her to be extremely too cold, judgemental and off putting. I dont think she started to be likeable until maybe after she became a mother

• Members

Never got the Gale Harold hype. I thought he was plastic and smirky. I never cared much for Randy Harrison either, another smirker. When I did watch QAF it was in spite of them. Somehow I ended up watching the later seasons in part for Hal Sparks, the actor who said kissing a man is like kissing a dog. I'm still not sure how that happened.

• Members

It might have been. It's been a long time, I just remember being annoyed at the time. I have tried to let that type of thing go with actors now, although part of that is down to my just throwing in the towel on caring about any gay character or same-sex relationship on TV (admittedly I don't watch a lot of TV, so I might be missing something fantastic). I have ended up going back to just seeing some "straight" characters with chemistry and reading fic with them, which is generally better written than the shows they're on anyway...

I actually liked the later years of QAF more than the first few, which is generally seen as wrong, or was at the time. A few of the stories sucked but I preferred the less campy approach. The only part of the first season I missed was the extra sex scenes.

• Members

yeah, i really dont let personal stuff get in the way with my entertainment because if i did id never like anything. like can i never watch the gonnies because josh brolin beat diane lane? and i love her! but i love the goonies!

I agree about QAF. The later years are far, far better.

• Members

Another UO:

I'm glad that Avengers was a success (especially since that hack Bendis wasn't involved), but I don't think Joss Whedon wrote anything good for TV since one or two episodes of season 5 Buffy (and before that, a few episodes of season 3). So much of his name is based on good marketing and promoting of himself.

Archived