DAYS: April Discussion Thread

• Members

I had to deal with a serious health issue with my mom, so watching this has brought it all back. And it is difficult to watch at times.

The SL has also made me wonder how I would have reacted to such a damning prognosis as Lexie got in yesterday's show... I think I would have crumbled, utterly and completely. But maybe a part of me would have bucked up and tried to be strong for my loved ones. Perhaps focusing on acting strong allows some people (like Lexie) to transcend the feelings of shock and BE strong! It is the first time in a long time that Days has made me ask questions of myself like that.

And Renee Jones has been so good. I truly believe that the pain on her brain is overwelming, and when she calls out her husband to give her yet one more hug before he steps away, that rings true, too.

I guess with Celeste, Tanya Boyd inhabited that larger-than-life, glamourous role. In some ways, OTT characters can be more "real" or "true-to-life" than generic characters, you know? And Celeste was definitely that. No offense to Beverly Todd, she is certainly competent, but there is nothing of the old Celeste here. She is playing what is written -- a generic black lady of a certain age who is interchangeable on any soap.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beverly Todd, as Cat has said, is competent, but she's generic and it's the one false note in what is otherwise an amazing storyline for Renee Jones. Tanya Boyd just WAS Celeste, I have to wonder where Tanya ended and Celeste began...she very much infused that role with herself. The other thing is that Boyd and Renee Jones looked similar, you could see how you could throw in Joe Mascolo's DNA and end up with Lexie.

celeste21.jpg

• Members

Renee Jones looks STUNNING and not a day over 25 in that apple-green sun dress.

The thing with Tanya Boyd's Celeste is that she had "the gift" and grew up intensely religious, intensely superstitious in New Orleans -- she was French/patois/creole-speaking and that wasn't just in her accent, it was in the way she dressed, carried herself, and the links she had with Stefano and Maison Blanche. She had dabbled in the bad, but reconnecting with "Ahhh-leck-ssuuuuuuuun-dwah" made her a better person. I'm just seeing none of that in the current incarnation, not even the accent. And it's not Beverly Todd's fault as she is filling in at the last minute. It is just that nobody told her.

• Members

Exactly. Beverly Todd is doing what she can with what's written on the page...but the writing for Celeste was never that strong, it was Boyd who projected so much more into the role. Obviously, the writers at DAYS dropped the ball and didn't give Todd the direction she'd need to get the character where she needs to be.

• Members

tumblr_m2zoj6mlR61r9c8mno3_250.gif

LMAO at the look EJ gave Nicole yesterday

Nicole: "I heard congratulations are in order"

Sami: "They are"

Nicole: "Congraluations.....bitch"

laugh.png

mj2ydy.jpg

Oh and can someone do something about the fungus thats growing off the side of Sami's dress

• Members

The Lexie scenes with EJ and Stefano today were heartbreaking. This is about the only thing I'm interested on this show these days and Renee jones is just wonderful. Despite the characterization issues for the DiMera's in recent years, I have always bought them as a family unit and Lexie their glue. They missed the boat at lot not making that election storyline centered around the family dynamic vs sexy times for EJ and Nicole.

• Members

I can't with this Santo flashback. THE FUTURE OF OUR FAMILY DEPENDS ON THE ANASTASIA EGG! Oh, really? Stefano seemed to think the future of his family depended on EJ marrying Sami a few years ago.

And speaking of that, the Santo/Colleen stuff was so mind-numbingly boring that it's the only time I ever really checked out of Days during the entire time I've watched it. Other times, I just moved to watching a couple times (or once a week during some of the most random Higley stuff), but during Santo/Colleen I just literally stopped watching. And it now upsets me to no end that a story so irritating is now being completely invalidated, because if EJ isn't Stefano's son then why the hell did he look just like Santo in that photograph and why did he and Sami have to get married?!

• Members

What was the point of making Chad a Dimera? They should have undid that instead of EJ. Chad doesnt even interact with Stefano or any of them. I can understand him not wanting to deal with the dark influence of the family but it makes no sense why he has no relationship with Lexie. She already has a younger replacement brother and Chad is all but irrelevant. The current writers arent the ones that started that plot so I cant completely blamethem but Days this past year has been about these DNA reveals and twists which go nowhere.

Archived