Jill Farren Phelps OUT, Frank Valentini IN, Ron Carlivati IN

• Members

I'm sure that Jill Farren Phelps will be FINE. She has alot of actors who love her. I spoke with her a few years ago and she is a lovely, smart, intelligent woman. Sure she can probably be a bitch, but that's the job of an Executive Producer.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Normally I would agree with EricMontreal -- but then I think of her trying to edge out Maeve Kincaid on GL... causing Beverlee McKinsey to up and leave the show... firing the lady who played Cassie on OLTL when she fell pregnant... sidelining Genie Francis on GH in favour of the TG/MB/SB triumverate. Sometimes I don;'t know what to think about JFP. She has so many actors who adore her, declare their undying love to her -- but then we have these misogynistic moves. Would the real JFP please stand up?

• Members

Every producer has actors who love them.

Regarding misogyny, beyond how she treats actors, it's also the storytelling on her shows. They generally always destroy women, demean them, and only write for women as shrews or as heroines in bad romance novels.

• Members

This discussion on how JFP treats her female employees in comparison to her male ones makes me wonder if she is worse or equal to how Gloria Monty used to treat HER female employees compared to her male ones, because there were certainly a few (Genie Francis, Denise Alexander, Finola Hughes) who left under negative circumstances.

Of course, in regards to storytelling, with the possible (and certainly noteworthy) exception of some of Laura's behavior after Luke raped her, it seems to me (as someone who has never watched GH regularly and who wasn't born until 1989) that women on her shows were still far stronger than the ones depicted under JFP (a particularly good example of a strong GM female would be Anna Devane).

• Members

Corporate America is filled with women who hate other women. (I could point out some examples in politics but I suspect it would derail this thread terribly.) JFP strikes me as that kind of woman: self-serving, low-down and 100% a consumer of the outdated ideal of masculine power. YMMV, whether or not that earns her the title of bitch.

• Members

Exactly. BITD, GH's females were "kick-ass," to put it blunty. Plus, there's the simple fact that Gloria Monty's GH simply was a better, more entertaining show. (Whether or not her vision for GH was in keeping with the Hursleys', I'll leave that open to y'all.) So, yes, Gloria Monty was a bitch like JFP is a bitch, but GM was a bitch I could respect because, more often than not, she delivered.

Archived