September 26-30, 2011

Toups

• Members

Exactly. That's why comparing Chew to AMC is an apples to oranges comparison (and why the fact that it is getting worse ratings and demos than AMC is nothing to gloat about). While The Talk is not its direct competition, it is a much more valid comparison than any soap would be.

All this being said, I would be shocked if Chew lasts anywhere near ten years. However, I would be equally shocked if it went off the air after just a year or two.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Given all its rumored problems, I have a feeling that Revolution will do much worse than Chew or Talk in the ratings.

If this is true, then it is terrible news for GH. I always thought GH had a decent chance of making it to September 2013 simply because Chew or (much more likely) Revolution would be pulled by September 2012 (and GH would take over that timeslot for another year). However, with The Experts in the works, it makes GH's future on television far more dimmer.

• Members

I continue to wonder just how cheap The Talk is. While there's no doubt it's cheaper than a soap, a show that has had as much on-camera turnover as this, not to mention behind the scenes firings, including the president of CBS Daytime, and which stars the wife of the CBS President, can't be cheap. They have continued to hire new people, while buying out old people, and their reward has been ever-decreasing ratings. I read somewhere that CBS stopped talking about last month's ratings a week in.

As for The Chew, it's bewildering, and very telling, that they compare themselves to The Talk, a show that is not competing against them. This reminds me of when The Talk would brag but not talk about their timeslot competitor. That tells you ABC is disappointed in the ratings.

• Members

I never for one minute believed ABC would swap GH's timeslot. ABC/Disney want out of soaps asap and if they had replacements all ready for all 3 GH would have been gone with OLTL in January.

IMO, the GH EP, HW and cast begging for fans to tune in sound vedddy desperate.

• Members

And if they WERE comparing based on AMC people being on The Talk, that seems very petty, and again shows their insecurity and lack of success.

I think Frons is just throwing anything against the wall to keep his job. There is less than zero mandate for any new "reality" show on ABC Daytime. One has flopped and another has had problems for months, now hiring a graft-on from fading Extreme Home Makeover to try to seem relevant. It gets to a point where cheap cheap cheap isn't enough anymore. It's cheaper to have no shows, or reruns, in these slots than a failed show, a show that is in constant upheaval, and some show that sounds like one of those legal representation TV ads.

It surprises me they are putting out casting calls so quickly. It makes little sense to me - if you're failing with the shows you have shouldn't you look to fix your problems instead of going out and failing some more?

• Members

I thought "Katie" was going to take GH's time slot in September '12? Where is ABCD going to put Couric's very expensive show? "The Experts" sounds duller than "The Revolution." They won't get young eyes with a show like that. Daytime already has The Doctors. Most talk shows have their own "panel of experts" shows they do every so often. I wouldn't trust any Disney-chosen "experts" about anything. biggrin.png

Archived