Ringer: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are similarities too -- they did a fakeout with Amber Benson in that they added her to the opening credits in the episode she was killed off, and they did a fakeout here with Gemma by having her survive death twice only to now kill her for good. She was really good and it sucks to lose her, but this show has plenty of backstory to explore and plenty of chances to use her in flashbacks.

• Members

I can see what they're saying though. In a show like this, you need to have people actually die or the audience will not take you seriously. The problem is, when "Lost" killed their first main character, they went with one of their weakest links. "Ringer" chose one of its better characters as the first casualty, which may hurt the show.

• Members

I'm gonna keep watching--and it looks from the Jan preview that maybe they're gonna lighten it up a bit now, but... I had a hard time with Jemma's death too. To have her tied up and missing for so long, only to have her shot and THEN survive and then shot again felt gratuitous to me. Kill her or don't, but to drag it out like that simply was minipulative and unpleasant.

I'm sure it is--they obviously wanna play out a he said/she said story but... I dunno, something about the setup--whether she was raped or not--is again a bit too iunpleasant than what I expected from this show. Still, admittedly, it is more interesting to not know for sure if we are gonna have this story play out.

I felt he's been channeling his inner Ritchie--from nice guy to not--since the start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm still on episode 7. I was shocked--SHOCKED--when they revealed that Charlie is working with Siobhan! That was an amazing twist. I'm glad I hadn't seen the speculation here about him being behind it, because I just didn't see that one coming at all. Such a great twist.

And Juliet's freakin' awesome: "You owe me bitch, like 10 million dollars!"

• Members

I actually loved Gemma's death. I was at the edge of my seat and thought it was so suspenseful and shocking to the last moment. It was *so* unexpected and I liked how brutal it was. This show needs to set itself apart from the other CW shows and I like that it's an adult show. I hope it brings them more viewers when the show returns.

• Members

I still feel it was too much. The writers proudly go on "We're doing NOIR, this is NOIR, it's tough, bla bla". The thing is, it's one thing to have a shock death like that for a character in a *movie*, but when doing a soapy take on noir like this, I think you have to consider some other aspects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived