Y&R: May Discussion Thread

• Members

Y&R had SUCH an opportunity to enhance the Kay/Jill feud and make it even deeper, more tragic than ever, with Mackenzie and Billy if they hadn't made Kay and Jill related. Mac and Billy could have gotten married, Kay and Jill could have clashed over that for a year or two and then it could have been kicked into high gear with a pregnant Mac getting into a car accident. Billy would be torn between saving Mac's life and that of his unborn child. Kay would lobby for Mackenzie, Jill for the unborn Abbott heir...Billy would emotionally break down and the decision would be left to Brock who would choose Mackenzie.

Jill would have had decades worth of anger against Katherine, losing a grandchild (let's say his name would have been Phillip, the third Phillip she'd have lost to Katherine!), levelling Billy psychologically and all for that gutter girl Mackenzie. Mackenzie would have been able to suffer endlessly with the guilt of surviving. The marriage between Billy and Mackenzie could collapse. Katherine would suffer through Mackenzie's suffering and blame Jill for undermining Billy and Mackenzie's marriage.

It really bothers me that the entire creative team at Y&R didn't see THIS as the way to go for the long term viability of Katherine, Jill, Billy, Mackenzie and the show as a whole.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R didn't even have to kill a baby off to give Katherine & Jill story.

Billy/Mackenzie should've reunited, gotten married (with Katherine & Jill still fighting of course) & been happy (temporarily of course) while Katherine & Jill's main focus moved to PHILLIP.

CHLOE marries HIM making Nina PISSED causing HER to unite with Jill & Katherine (who also don't approve) to get rid of the little gold digger.

THEN introduce Tucker (both Katherine's son & Nina's bio father) causing everyone take sides (except both Phillip's who remain neutral) over Chancellor.

THAT'S what should've been done.

• Members

Today Y&R continues to be good. I really like Sophia sticking up for Tucker's intrest at McCall. i really like their relationship and i wonder where this "son" thing is going.

So I guess this is the evil twin Cane we are seeing. So is the good twin ( Cane) really dead or what?

I am so glad Ashely gave it to the Great Dame today. Katherin got a lot of nerve.

I do wonder where this Ashley story is going ( I have been spoiler free for about a month now and its been great)

• Members

Julia Mitchell doesn't have the chops for bedside vigils. Yet.

The destruction of Ashley continues even though Eileen Davidson is knocking it out of the park.

Jeanne continues verging on Out Liz Hubbarding Liz Hubbard.

The audience gets it Y&R. Jill can never be happy. Ever.

And as usual Cane Ruins Everything.

• Members

I don't see how this is destroying Ashley? In fact, I really am loving where this story is going. Eileen Davidson ROCKS emotional material. Love it and I'm so glad that Ashley is actually front burner instead of sidelining Jack and the other Abbots.

• Members

It's destroying Ashley because she's reduced to a prop once again.

None of this story is about her. It's solely about Tucker & Abby.

Her underwritten, illogical "relationship" with Tucker was a joke to begin with & now she's willing to sacrifice everything (including her freedom) to save a daughter she repeatedly disregarded in a rush to marry a man (who causes said daughter much emotional distress) that is almost exactly like the ex-husband she recently divorced & vowed never to be controlled by again?

It makes no sense.

• Members

Ashley's been through a ton of HUGE changes from the time she returned & none of it (aside from extremely brief periods at the end of her marriage to Victor & the beginning of her relationship with Tucker) has been explored in terms of how it affects her (instead of everyone else).

The sad thing is there's been a lot of good stuff that Eileen could've & would've knocked out the park but was ignored in favor of endless Tucker propping & unnecessary Naked Heiress crap.

• Members

I honestly do not know how the writing is meant for us to root for Granny Chancellor and Grambo when they discuss tactics over the IPO and Jabot while Tucker is hooked up to a life machine! This was after Granny fired Ashley and barred her from visiting Tucker's hospital room because she deemed her a threat to "mah shun." But Granny plotting with Victor over Tucker's business holdings is totally ok? :rolleyes: I wanted Ashley to sock that old crone. Eileen is doing so great with material which, essentially, completely stops her from getting in people's faces about their blatant hypocrisy.

Even worse is when Grambo suggests CrackToria would be "perfect" as CEO of Jabot. Yet another Newman parachuted in to take over every meaningful aspect of the show! Yeah, Little Miss Valium would be awesome. The woman is unable to comb her hair without Billy holding her hand and administering the brush.

HOWEVER! Today's episode was great because there was a lot about Jabot. I'm not usually a fan of the bombastic Peter Bergman, but he was excellent when he pitched being Jabot CEO to Kay and dangled a new skincare product (which ASHLEY developed FYI -- god forbid she fight to stay in the CEO chair. The little woman needs to know her place!) as bait. It was a great scene and made me wish heartily that Jabot and the Abbotts were back on top again. God, if only Jill could be in on all this, too.

Phyllis, WTF? Perched outside Bacteria's window like Gollum hissing "Pwecious. PWEHHHHH-SHUS!" ?

• Members

So, as I am a new reluctant viewer of Y&R....I must say this board is absolutely refreshing. Yes, I came to the show because of Maura West. Yes, I only watch for her bits. BUT what I like here is the knowledge and analytical discussion of story/writing/production/actors that is far, FAR from fawning or 'shipping or fangurl/fanboy MANIA. Not in the least agenda driven discussion as far as I can tell.

So, thanks for that, y'all.

-PWF

• Members

There is a really good story in Jill & Lauren working together with Adam/Diane to buy up Newman stock (and make a play for Jabot too) which would put Michael directly in the middle & make him (once & for all) choose sides.

But of course that would mean empowering women, not ignoring 40+ women & writing a cohesive umbrella story so it will never happen.

Archived