Y&R: May Discussion Thread

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree that the show has been pretty good lately. I do, however want to roll my eyes at the thought of ANOTHER doppleganger, how many of these fuc#ing things are they going to trot out, anyway? But you know what, even thought I find NotCane annoying and the Sharon SL kind of lame, Rauch being gone and lights being proper and the background music being as it should makes it all better. that and BETH. The best actress in the history of daytime television, IMO. She provides much needed HUMANITY to this show. But I have to give Rylan props for doing some EXCELLENT work recently. Her and Eileen have great onscreen chemistry and look so believeable. Abby is now this "Bad girl with a heart" that everyone loves so much. That's the quality tht made Jill and Lorie so popular, and Rylan is really holding a winning hand, here. Hendrickson could have been like this, but she hasn't gotten the writing, or is getting lazy, or both.

• Members

alphanguy, I was just coming on here to post the same thing. I cannot take my eyes away from the mother-daughter chemistry that ED and MR share. I completely buy this close relationship between Ashley and abby, because during most of Abby's life, Ashley was raising her alone. The connection between the two is almost tangible. It was just the two of them, going from Genoa City to LA to London and back again. Marcy played it so perfectly yesterday. Abby has pulled the crocodile tears before but when she wept yesterday, I really noticed how different it was, how panicked and real.

Rylan, Maitland and Davidson make a great trifecta and actually give me faith in the Abbotts as a reassembled core family. It really struck me how much strength Traci exuded yesterday -- whereas man-of-the-house Jack with his jabot jabot jabot mantra came across as incredibly weak and stupid. Maitland should be to Y&R what Susan Flannery is to B&B (well, excluding all the campy Brooke-baiting stuff which is B&B's MO and core identity).

My estimation of Elizabeth Hendricksen's talents has plunged -- I really thought she had something but all Chloe seems to do is tear people down. She is so brittle and nasty to everybody around her. The fact that Y&R have stuck her with BFF Greg Rikaart makes me think that EH is more than happy to be snarking snappy "funny" one-liners at the expense of others. If Eileen Davidson, MTS, Maura West, heck even Emily O'Brien and Sharon Case can go above and beyond some pretty shiteous writing for their respective characters, I have to hold Hendricksen by the standard they have set and say "Hey, TPTB actually love you and still I can't get a handle on Chloe other than Entitled McShrewBitch."

• Members

Hendrickson has no chemistry with her co-stars. She never has. The only time I saw any was with Daniel Goddard. Fortunately for her, this is rewarded by Y&R (see Billy Miller).

Abby is such a poorly written character that it's tough for me to see her anything like Lorie or Jill. There's too much denigration of women in the show now. Her fits over Tucker or her need to get naked seem like the show laughing at her.

But it's always nice to see Traci.

• Members

If only. I hope Tucker stays comatose forever, the story is so much better when he doesn't speak. Abby and Ashley are terrific, but I was distracted every time businessman Tucker (the character that wants to marry Ashley) was mixed into their interaction . Are we supposed to be wondering if Tucker is a ruthless corporate raider using Abby or a caring step-father with only her best interests at heart? Guess what, I don't care, one day Tucker is pressuring Abby for stock the next kissing Sofia's stomach. They need to have him say one line and step back.

What Tucker owns is so much more interesting than Tucker himself.

• Members

Oh, that barftastic kiss to Sophia's stomach? Talk about manipulative...that was a blantant attempt to counterbalance Traci's suspicions after the run in with Kay. Three months ago, when the "truth" about Cane came out---that he was decieving Tucker with some help from Sophia---fauxGrampaTucker was gonna throw Mommy's ass in jail. Humanitarian he ain't.

IA, Tucker's holdings are a lot more interesting than the man himself. Unfortunately, TIIC don't have the balls to admit Tucker was a mistake from the get go and ship him out of town.

• Members

They have just destroyed Katherine by making her into a Mother Teresa figure.

Antoyne has summed it up perfectly, when Katherine was a cold hearted bitch she was great. I rooted for her AND Jill, that was the great thing, they both deserved rooting and both deserved hatred. They were in the sickest symbiotic relationship. It was daytime at its finest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_l6Mb3ElWI&feature=related

• Members

I think they have fallen into this trap of making Kay this Grande Dame, but being afraid to keep her edge. If she lobs bombs at Jill... then Jill needs to lob them back, and when you do that, you run the risk of viewers saying it's "Elder abuse".. blah blah blah... I saw people on the old soapcity boards say as much. It comes to a point where people are seeing Kay as too old and feeble to able to hold her own in these tit for tat storylines with Jill. And that's a damn shame.

• Members

I confess...I lobstuhHATE those cheese-tastic "mother of all reveals" Genie promos. By definition, it can't be a muthareveal if it involves a character as useless as Cane or as stupid as "God sent me an erection" Lily.

• Members

*Sigh* You are so right. It's been, what? Close to a decade since Katherine was written as anything even resembling a multi-dimensional character? Of couse, it's only gotten worse and worse with the passing years. :(

Archived