OLTL: Discussion for the week of March 7

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I stage doored once almost by accident with a friend who had a friend on the crew. It was Brian Dennehy in Death of a Salesman, and the good soap fan that I am, I mentioned remembering his daughter from GL. "Oh yeah, she was on there for a little while..." For me, the less important the person is to me the more likely I would be to stage door, not that I ever do it. But say, stage door Susan Lucci or David Canary feeling the way I do about them only for them not to make eye contact while they furiously signed Playbills, not hearing my from the heart comment, I think that would depress me more than anything.

• Members

Well easier--he manages a bakery so isn't exactly wealthy but mainly gets discount tickets--and that's what he spends nearly all his money on.

I seriously would consider dropping it if they dropped Dorian from contract too. I knwo this is a prob with ALL soaps right now, but you just wonder if they seriously don't realize what gold and potential they have with some actors and characters over others. (And not that I necesarily blame Frons for this--but I think Frons certainly doesn't get that...)

• Members

It would be one thing if this were GL circa 1982 and you were writing out Barbara or Adam Thorpe while you had Nola and Amanda and Maureen and Quint and Kelly and so on, but you're getting rid of Dorian for melting Ken dolls and shrieking ice princesses.

• Members

I don't stage door.

I did happen to totally coincidentally attend August: Osage County when Brian Kerwin was in it, and happened to end up at his designated door on the way out as the actors were collecting for charity at all the exits. I never approach actors, but since we both happened to be there I could not resist telling him I loved him on his day job as well. This was in 2008, IIRC. And I still love him. Sigh. I have seen other OLTL actors around town - Ilene Kristen and I attended the same screening of the obscure Faye Dunaway film Puzzle of a Downfall Child - but I never, ever approach them.

• Members

LOL, seriously! And I am too lazy to stand on anybody's line or "get there early." But luckily most of the Off-Broadway stuff I'm more interested in is cheaper. You could see not so great black box Equity showcases every night though, $15 tickets, say the secret word at the door for 5 bucks off, Carlo Rossi and room temperature cheese served at intermission...

• Members

Right, in Nov I think all Equity companies do that (collect at the doors)--that's one of the only other chances I've said a few words to an actor (Charlotte D'amboise in Chicago--Brett Barrett, SP?, speaking of soap stars was also in it but not at my door :P I assume Charlotte still isn't the principal of Llanview High :P )

I think it's fine as long as you'r not rabid or demanding--or expect anything (including their attention lol). When I hear some stories from other people, it does put me off.

Re coists--my friend seems to have found a number of good ways--and I don't mean TKTS, etc, though he does apply for all those last minute lotteries (I guess it helps living five mins away from most theatres so you can run over). Not sure I'd have the energy, but. And he sees a lot of bad off and off off crap (as well as on Broadway crap :P ), that I prob wouldn't bother with no matter the price (such as he's excited to go back to My Gay Wedding, or whatever it's called, despite thinking it's awful, to catch Ilene in it...)

• Members

I am still sorely tempted to hit TKTS and see the Spider-Man trainwreck before all of Julie Taymor's mad flourishes are whitewashed out. Actually, I wish I could've seen it before Natalie Mendoza fled the production fearing for her life - I loved her in The Descent.

Oddly enough, the star, Reeve Carney, was once my choice to play Blair's brother on OLTL. Long story.

• Members

I've quit the show for RS in the past. Dorian hasn't been the Dorian I was so pressed for in a long time and my views on soaps have changed a lot in the last ten years or so, my expectations aren't nearly as high. So I can't say that I'd quit watching the show, I'd just go on half-heartedly watching as I do now. I really wish I was the type to take a stand and quit but I know I'll bemorbidly curious in just how bad the show may become.

• Members

Yeah I'm sure Spider is gonna be something people brag about (my friend, no surprise saw it twice even though he really didn't like much of it even as camp... But he did say it prob would be a more boring mess now that they are dropping some of the more interesting stuff). I hadn't heard of Carney till recently--how long back were you interested in him for OLTL? OLTL doesn't seem to have any love for any men becoming part of the "Cramer women" "strong" dynasty...

• Members

Now I'm beginning to wonder if we all mean the same thing when we say "stage door" because some of you are giving me the willies. I mean I'll hang out after a show for an autograph or a picture if the actors are willing but I'm totally respectful of whatever terms they set. When the RENT tour opened here in town the actors were really nice but said since it was January and flu season they wouldn't do hugs or pictures.

It's funny how I'm perfectly willing to stage door a play but I am completely creeped out at the thought of waiting outside the soap studios. It's not like there's really a difference.

• Members

... I hate to admit, I'm prob the same. During Higley's era which I found not only SOOOOOO SLOOOOOW but also one of the few times I've actually found a soap full on, repeatedly, in poor taste, I still watched fairly regularly, if only putting it on in the background while doing notes for my next day of work, etc--I'm sure I barely paid attention to half of what was happening.

• Members

There are definite levels. I know my friend (who I feel lame for bringing up again lol) often will see if he can get something signed, but he finds it crossing the line to ask for photos, etc... Then on some theatre forums you hear people go nuts if so and so sneaks out before they can stage door, etc (and yes the Rent kids--and Wicked too I guess--are kinda infamous).

Soap studios does seem diff to me. Maybe cuz it's their daily emplyment--so is the theatre but at least you went and saw their play that day, and it's more of a public venue (although some peopel who stage door I've read about do it often when they haven't bothered to see the show--or will even run out of another show quickly to stage door somewhere with a bigger star... :rolleyes: )

Archived