OLTL: Discussion for the week of March 7

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really liked the Natalie and Brody scenes. Those two have a lovely friendship.

Tomas and Blair scenes are getting better again. Hopefully the show can keep up the momentum.

Tess is a chore to watch. She's so horrible, I'm almost starting to feel bad for Ford and I loathe Ford. I just want her to shut up, forever. Did she bang the building manager?

John, take a shower. And get an STD screening.

• Members

In this case, John really is the victim (though I've despised the character since his treatment of Evangeline, to be honest). Only on OLTL are the man who was duped into believing a child was his and the father potentially cheated out of knowing his child supposed to thank the mother for her duplicity. It's astounding to me that Natalie and that nitwit Gigi are written to believe that John should just count his blessings and move on.

I don't see John being propped up in all of this. I think the writers really want us to think of him as a bad guy -- unforgiving, sexing up Kelly, drinking his days away. It's beyond comprehension. I think the writers want it both ways with Natalie. They want her to be a bit of the trashy character she was when she first hit the screen, but she can't be perceived as trashy. She victimized two men and now SHE is the wronged party? It's insane.

Natalie was cheated out of knowing her family. She was lied to most of her life and look at the pain that still causes her (especially when she thinks Viki loves Jessica best because she raised Jess and not Nat).

She was willing to do that to her child just to hold on to John?

As much as I hate daytime's overreliance on sex and alcohol (it's so backwards), John and Kelly have the only honest relationship on the show. I was stunned when Kelly stopped fooling around with John in the storeroom to tell him she couldn't go on because she was thinking of Joey. I was even more stunned when John joked that dark storerooms made him think of Joey, too. The only real tenderness on this show involves booze, two lonely hearts, and double pity sex. HOW is daytime failing, with a recipe like that???

• Members

The relationship would be honest if the show did not have Kelly veer between saying he should be with Natalie and then wanting him. As it is I think it comes across as OLTL clumsily trying - again - to test reaction to this couple, after they tanked last year. Of course the only honesty would involve booze and self-pity...OLTL of today only knows how to write in the dregs, and even that is poorly done (Aubrey/Cutter, Charlie).

I can't see John as any type of victim when he has a long history of using and discarding women. He gets off on it. He wants to be the moper and the loser and everyone huddles around him to marvel at his latest Eeyore expression. He knew Natalie's history with him, he knew how she would be so desperate to do anything to keep him, just as he knew how wrong it was to get back together with Marty after her trauma and breakdowns in 2008/2009, how he used Blair as a rebound and then dumped her, and so on.

The show has worshiped John for years. They even killed a woman (Talia) solely to give him a story because he no longer had any viable relationships on the show. I think the whole thing with this mess from the beginning has been about rebuilding his character after John/Marty tanked. Jared died, Natalie became pathetic again, and that started the mess of John "saving" her, poor John caught between crazy women, noble John, how he suffers, etc. etc.

• Members

Ain't that the truth! Sometimes it's just better to go to the happy place than figure out a soap plot! I stopped watching soaps for months, and then got hooked into occasionally watching OLTL. So close to free, LOL!

Carl, ICAM with you that John is a lowlife who has hurt every woman who ever crossed his path. In this case, Nat's deception was far worse than his sorry indifference to the women who loved him. He never tried to fool anyone into thinking that he was anything other than distant and aloof. In that sense, any woman who thought she could change him and make him 'happy' had to share some of the blame. In John's case, he didn't cause Nat to lie and to try to take Brody's child from him as if the child was a trophy. Even after being caught, Nat tried to bait the hook using that poor child. As creepy as John has been in the past, Natalie's actions are far worse, IMO.

• Members

I'm a newer veiwer to OLTL, been watching it off and on for about a year now and the one thing I will say its way better than Days. The drama and action is pumped up all the time. I do feel it moves a little too fast and I feel like there is no heart in the show as a whole. Has it always been like that? I depise Todd. Who does he think he is? He's a punk and a loser. I hope Toemas beat that ass. I really hope Thomas would shave that face or at least line it up and comb it. I r eally like this Jess/Ford thing. I know I've heard this isn't the first time this has happend to Jess but I really find myself enjoying it.

Now about Roxxy? Is she supposed to act like that? Or is that real life? I love her don't get me wrong. She acts like she's drunk or coming down off a high. What's up with that?

Oh and why does everyone calls Rex by his last name and Rex calls Gigi by her last name. Why is that? Is their a story behind that?

What was the differences between JFP's OLTL and Gary TOmlin's?Thanks for any info.

• Members

OLTL has never been a home and hearth show, but did have a certain emotional core. You can still feel that when you watch clips of Karen Wolek struggling, Jenny Wolek giving back her daughter Mary, Bo and most of his wives, Tina and Cord, old school Dorian/Viki, Joey/Dorian, Herb/Dorian, Herb/Cassie, Viki and Clint (or even Viki and Sloan), Buchanan family moments up to about 1996, Megan and Viki, Megan/Sarah, Andrew and Megan, Cassie and Dorian.

I would say that JFP killed this for good - her vision for OLTL was callous, and shallow, and communicated emotion through music montage and mood lighting. It's basically been this way ever since. There are a few moments which show otherwise but they're fleeting. I would say that the last were Addie being "cured," and the gay wedding episode (did not like the storyline, but was very moved by parts of the episode). And sure enough, these stories were abruptly ended, and in some cases, the actors were smeared in the soap press.

People call Rex "Balsom" as a term of affection I guess. Gigi and Rex call each other by their last names because they did this when they were kids.

JFP's OLTL was about drawing out stories ad nauseum. It was about degrading women to help benefit her idea of hot studs. It was about giving jobs to her friends. This was intermixed with a few stunts a year to distract and to pretend stories were moving.

Tomlin's OLTL was camp, camp, camp, live episodes, musicals, Ken dolls on parade, then a very dark turn in his last four or five months, with stories about drug rape, and bizarre kinky sex games. If there was any real planning it rarely showed up onscreen. There were some good couples (Roxy/Max, Cris/Natalie, Gabrielle/Bo) but the stories were poor.

• Members

Thanks Carl. Did Micheal Malone's OLTL move this fast? I just really feel like their is no time for emotions on this show. It moves so fast. Its always one thing after the next. Which is fine it keeps me watching. I also don't like how we don't see certain characters for a long time. like where has Shaun been? What's Christian doing these days? I really wish they would dig deep into Matthew. Another thing I don't like is when Bo and Nora have scenes together, they always give each other these "I told you so" looks. What's up with that?

Archived