February 14-18, 2011

Toups

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they might not be that much lower - a lot of the soaps may be at a low point where many of those who are there will stay for now. I think it will be a slow erosion for most of the soaps, except perhaps Y&R, which has more to lose.

• Administrator

Right, the affiliates! That's another factor. Affiliates will probably want the 1pm timeslot.

Okay, so OLTL is now winning 4-1. OLTL has: 1.potential viewers, 2. better yearly numbers, 3. on budget 4. better timeslot.

AMC has: 1. brand.

There's gotta be something else that favors AMC. LOL

• Members

Granted I'm a fan of his but TSJ is definitely capable of better. I've seen it. I want nothing more than for him to walk away from OLTL. I think it's the difference between his being Nathan Fillion or Michael E. Knight.

Bree excels at playing a ho. That's her niche. She's done it on Gossip Girl and L&O. IMO that's the reason the show keeps falling back on the Tess plot point. Sadly, it never occurs to them to put the DID crap away and let Jess become a bitch in her own right. This baby nonsense was the perfect chance to turn Jess turn into vengeance-seeking hardass but instead they made her a victim so they bring back Tess and absolve Nat even though the days when Jess finally called out her SELFISH LYING WHORE of a sister were some of the best dailies they've had in ages.

As for John, they need to cut his airtime, focus on his role as a cop and put him in an age appropriate group. Watching him interact with Jess, Brody and Nat is like seeing William Shatner in [!@#$%^&*] My Dad Says. You know why he's there but that doesn't make it right.

• Members

This brand is a bunch of garbage to me, all they have is Susan Lucci. All My Children would get the same response as One Life to Live, General Hospital and Y&R are the only soaps known by the mainstream public, maybe Days as well. I just don't see how keeping AMC would be better. This so called brand is not helping it get better numbers than OLTL and the fact that they are still doing multiple takes on scenes are just ridiculous.

• Members

I hate to say it and I kinda of agree with this approach: I think ABC will "revamp" their daytime lineup and put AMC and OLTL to rest at the same time. If they simply cancel one soap and replace it with a talk show, they piss off a lot of viewers. If they market it as a brand new ABC daytime post-Oprah, with several new shows, they can create positive buzz.

This WAS a horrible week though...gotta see if they bounce back next week.

• Members

Why though, if you're canning AMC, do you continue to SHOW it as part of your brand? I think especially the Castle thing. Are there even going to be OLTL cast members (yes, I know they film in NY and I believe Castle LA) going to be on Castle? Why not pop those few dollars you'll get back from canning AMC, to send a few actors out there? Why not promote Castle and OLTL? Why not try to show people in Primetime that OLTL exists? Work to attract those potential viewers OLTL could gain. Then there's the HiC crossover, which I admittedly don't know the ratings for, that they chose AMC for. And Oprah, even if ABC Daytime had no control over was highly skewed in AMC's favor.

There's a lot of reasons why I chose not to do either degree, in business, so I admittedly know nothing about business...but wouldn't you as the head of a network, knowing you're going to be ending one show, the more famous and recognizable one...in favor the lesser known...START promoting the crap out of the lesser known?

In that sense, I think there has to be something to the brand. Something to the idea that maybe AMC still makes more money for ABC Daytime in other ways than OLTL.

I could be totally wrong, I usually am when it comes to this kind of thing. LOL

• Members

I don't think any positive buzz will be created with the detritus they are peddling. I'm still shocked that is the best pilot material they can come up with. I can't see anyone in the media writing about exciting buzz for Tori Spelling.

• Administrator

What about a 'negative energy' factor? LOL AMC has a lot of 'negative energy.' Kreizman was Co-HW when GL as cancelled and he was again Co-HW when the announcement of ATWT's cancellation happened - will it be a trifacta with AMC? The only other Co-HWs will 3 soap cancellations under their belt are Brown/Esensten (Loving, The City, Port-Charles), and they just so happen to be script writers for AMC. So right now, AMC has the negative energy of FIVE soap cancellations surrounding them. I'm a superstitious guy. :)

Archived