February 14-18, 2011

Toups

• Members

Or ABC could dump K&S, because their contracts are up, and make sure that doesn't happen? That's not out of the question either. This is all still running on the assumption that one show is going this year, which we still don't know is the case.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, I respect you. I'm not trying to front you and I've already said that I think AMC will go first but I'm going to be honest, I'm really disappointed to see this comment from you. I know you're a OLTL fan but...

I'll probably get "Bellcurved" for saying this but SON has a brand. You aren't selling merchandise but that doesn't stop you, Scotty, Angela and others from fighting tooth and nail for SON's good name. That's branding. Isn't that part of the reason you post the ratings? Because you want people to think SON = credible? That's branding.

Let me put it another way: when I say the word "Ravenbeauty" what do you think? That's what branding is.

Branding is a business reality. The problem with AMC isn't that everything you mentioned "outweighs" brand, it's that AMC's brand is so diluted that customers don't know what to expect. Conversely, OLTL hasn't had a marketable brand for years and that's actually working to their benefit. No one can be pissed at the show for not being what it should be when it hasn't been what it should be - whatever that is - for more than ten years.

Sadly the ABC show with the strongest brand is GH. All that mob stuff people hate is going to make them the last show standing.

• Administrator

Ah okay, I totally see what you're saying. Yes, I do think AMC is a bigger brand than OLTL, but I don't think that matters within the daytime world anymore. The "brand" is gone and the show doesn't have that "aura" anymore.

• Members

Well then, since you're so sure AMC is the goner...maybe you can answer the questions I asked above. Why are they still showing AMC as part of the brand? Where is the OLTL publicity? Where is OLTL on Castle? Where are the OLTL crossovers? Why isn't ABC Daytime taking EVERY chance they have to attract those potential viewers OLTL can gain? AMC might have had it's chance's, but IMO, ABC Daytime doesn't seem to be willing to take the chance to build up OLTL.

You're going to trust your brand name to the lesser known show, the show that has it's own issues, and is only marginally better than AMC, without any excess adverting? You're going to continue to sink your time and energy into the dead show?

This is the show that's going to lead into GH, that's going to be the other new 'anchor' of what's left of your daytime. You don't want to save it?

Unless, ABC Daytime had no intention of sticking with any of their shows, and will just pick them off year after year. In which case, it's just splitting hair at this point, cause they clearly wouldn't give a sh*t about OLTL either.

• Members

AMC has Canadian affiliates on their side, Toups. They tried to ditch OLTL last years as it doesn't perform well for them up there.

I have a friend at one of the top 10 US ABC affiliates and heard only reason ABC has kept their block intact this long was making concessions to affiliates the last few years.This situation is going to be like the Jay vs Conan war... the affiliates will factor heavily.

Another factor is ABC affiliates may face TWO new daytime talk show launching at once, Oprah's replacement and AMC/OLTL's replacement. While Oprah is syndicated, she's on air for several key ABC affiliates.

• Members

I'm willing to bet one of the reasons B&B is falling is that in more than 50% of the markets, it stands alone - it follows local news and not Y&R. Losing ATWT took away a soap block. I'm convinced a number of ATWT viewers also tuned in to B&B every now and then because they turned TV on early, etc. Plus a soap block tends to draw similar viewers. The fact that it's a 30 minute show really leaves it hanging (unlike DAYS). I remember in the 90s, ABC's daytime president was relunctant to cancel Loving because it pumped 3-4 million viewers to AMC. Oh, well.

• Members

Brand name means zero for the high brass. They want to make money. It looks like AMC isnt making any at all. They've tried everything in the book to try to save the show from moving to LA to changes in writers...but nothing has worked. The ratings are actually worse now that they moved to LA. They are going to keep the soap that makes more money for them and I think that one is OLTL.

• Members

Actually ABC shockingly has done more recent OLTL promotion with their print ad campaign for the twin WTD stories. They stepped up OLTL promos on Soapnet, too.

Promoting AMC's anniversary on the VIEW was about AMC.

Oprah promoting all of Erica's husbands through the years was about AMC.

JMO, Castle is about promoting Frons pets, Cam and Budig. Lucci would be a far better AMC plug and everyone knows it.

• Members

Was that outside of ABC Daytime? Like I said, I just feel like there's still to much AMC publicity for a dead show.

But didn't Nathan Fillion start on OLTL? I guess I just don't understand why you waste that opportunity, for any reason, Frons or not...if you have it. Caslte does well, doesn't it? You have a star who began on OLTL, OLTL is set to be one of your two remaining shows...why not take it?

Archived