OLTL: Discussion for the week of November 29th

• Members

Exactly! Even villains can have some redeeming qualities such as love of animals or children, etc. Clint for example truly loves Jessica and wants to protect her. Beating up Ford wasn't about Clint's love of violence but revenge for his taking advantage of vulnerable Jessie AND a sign she was protected by a powerful father. Don't mess with Jess was message.

A villain such as Eddie ared short-lived b/c he has none a single redeeming quality. Mitch was the same way. Fans grew to detest him without seeing any quality that gave fans a reason to invest in him.

There's still a real heart and caring father and grandfather in Clint.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly, and Ford had it coming to him. And yet, the writers also took the opportunity to try to sneak in some compassion for the sleaze. Whenever they want us to feel for Ford, they have the tar beat out of him which is all so bizarre. a. He always deserves his ass kickings and why should we feel oh-so sorry for him? b. Just because his dad beat his ass doesn't mean I now feel bad for him when one of the citizens of Llanview does it, and c. Why is physical violence the only way they can think of to make this guy pay? At least one good soul-shredding verbal tirade from someone who has his number wuld be nice. I guess it's the most gratifying on an animal level to beat him up, but they don't even follow through, like I said, they somehow try to make us feel sorry for him along the way.

• Members

I like the idea of Echo having a daughter, I'm less thrilled about the idea of Rex having another sister, if you know what I mean. It's allllllways gotta be about Rex somehow or another. I realize JPL is the one with the years clocked on this show, but I still hope they'll continue to give KZ a very even share of this story and let Echo branch out into more stories of her own. Are they playing this by ear or does KZ have a set amount of months she's on board for?

• Members

SFK, your second line clearly proves you meant it so cease hiding behind snark and OWN IT.

One crazy fan screaming that at Roger Howarth does not equate the entire Todd fanbase. Most folks are smart enough to know that clear difference and not tarnish everyone with that broad stupid brush.

• Members

See, I think ordering Ford beaten up was a REDEEMING quality for Clint. He was portrayed as a righteously protective father and he showed some real restraint there too stopping with just some punches to the ribcage. He wasn't written irrational and loving violence for violence sake and was smart with his retribution too. In contrast, I bet Todd would have been written psychotic and drawn more sympathy for Ford.

• Members

In other words you have to be Kelly or Blair

WTF is the point of kidnapping Nora? This is just over the top and unncesary

Big mistake Rex. I hope Marty goes off on him next

Aubrey isnt Joey's gf, she's his fiancee, after one month? The story sounds more like Babe and JR than ever. At least they didnt marry before they came to town

• Members

Look. I realize you are newish around here, but I shouldn't have to spell everything out short of putting a :P;)^_^ after every piece of snark. Those of us who've been posting for a while can recognize each other's tones, hopefully now you'll recognize mine, no need to get your feelings hurt over my hyperbole. OF COURSE it doesn't equate the entire fanbase, there are fans and there are nuts, I am poking fun at the nuts. Sane, rational fans know who they are and needn't take offense.

• Members

I don't know if I would call it "redeeming" as much as I'd call it an understandable/justified move for a dad in such a situation. I do agree that I didn't see Clint in a negative light at all for ordering that, Ford had it coming. My point was that the writers took Ford's punishment and softened the blow (pun intended) by trying to make us feel sorry for him along the way (he was a child of physical abuse, had an awful male role model). Also agreed that I do not see Clint as any sort of blood-thirsty monster.

Archived