Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Y&R seems to almost have no hesitation with that, they axed Cassie, Ryan, John, Diane, and Rex all in a mostly permanent manner with little loophole for the charachters to return.

Imagine if Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini got their hands on Y&R....Diane, Ryan, John Abbott, Tricia, Rex, would have magically risen from the dead and randomly returned, and Mari Jo would have escaped from the psyc ward, lol

Edited by ironlion

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Diane and John's deaths were massive mistakes. Cassie basically exists in Cassiah so it's less of a blow, but that one too. I'm glad they sort of "made up for it" by bringing Grimes back who easily settled right back in.

I know Sussman and Alden wanted to undo John's death but it was a little too late I guess. At least Dina is there (well ....) and Aunt Jack is filling the void a bit.

I'd have loved to see an adult Kyle with Diane, especially now with Mealor in the role. I think it adds layers to Kyle with his mom dead, but I'd rather Diane be alive. It was just such an ugly last run for Diane

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

In the recast thread, @KMan101 suggested Roberta Leighton as Dr. Sandy Horton, which naturally reminded me of her time as Dr. Casey Reed, Nikki's sister.  Has anyone addressed where Casey has been for the past decade or so?  The character was made justifiably redundant by Dr. Olivia Winters, but she always popped in when Nikki was in need.  I could understand why Victor's brother Matt doesn't visit (although he was referenced more recently than Casey)  because they didn't grow up together, nor did they get along that well when they lived in the same city.  However, in the family lineage of related characters that are lost somewhere in the universe are Dr. Casey and any of her possible kids.

• Members

I think the last time they mentioned Casey was about twelve years ago or so. I remember they had Noah when he was played by Hunter Allan go to Colorado to be with his Great Aunt Casey for sometime. Because I recall Sharon telling Drucilla this when Dru was staying at Sharon's house when Neil threw her out of the kitchenette apartment. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

Yes it was. It's sad they don't care to even have her visit. But I guess if Leslie Brooks can pop in anyone can ... I've always liked Roberta Leighton and Casey was interesting; a good contrast, if you will, to Nikki. I feel like they just had Kay fill that talk-to void for Nikki, that's now un-filled.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I agree and there is still alot of story until this day could be told about Casey reed, she does have a huge connection to the show and probably always will. If they can bring Lorie and Leslie brooks and even make Julia appear and even make Victor's brother Matt show up with all years of his absence then Casey return should be a walk in the park but I don't know what's going on.

That's totally true I wasn't even born when Casey was on the show back then but ive done my research throughout time, and seen a few old clips of her so that's how I know about Nikki sister other then that if I didn't do those things I would have probably found out back in Feb for MTS 40th for the first time lol

• Members

To be honest, Bill Bell couldn't think of anything to do with Casey Reed even in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when she was young and cute.  I always liked Roberta Leighton and thought she was an interesting and sorta unusual actress, but Bell seemed to have a really difficult time writing for her.   He brought her on the show basically to be an obstacle for NewSnapper & NewChris, but then decided he couldn't have Snapper boink anyone besides Chris.   So then he sorta tossed Casey to Brock (didn't work), to Lucas Prentiss (didn't work), to Jonas (didn't work), and then out the door.   There was a LOT that could've been done with Casey (specifically the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father Nick and her resulting iciness towards men), but Bell was a whole lot more interested in showing us Nikki being boinked by college professors to increase her GPA and boinked by drop-outs to up her self-esteem and getting VD.   He just didn't seemed invested in Casey.   Then Roberta Leighton botoxed & collagened herself half to death, and that was about the end of that, lol.    

• Members

Yeah, he seemed to have no idea what to do with her. I also think Kay ultimately filled the Casey void in Nikki's life by being her talk-to. So Casey was basically rendered "useless" because Nikki had a talk to and Casey wasn't part of a popular coupling. I never understood finding a character pointless because they don't work in certain pairings ... characters can and should be able to exist without being tied to a couple. But I get why soaps cling to couples. (It's more prevelant on DAYS where I feel sometimes characters get lost in the coupling)

• Members

Yep, Kay Chancellor rendered Casey obsolete in Nikki's life.   And while Roberta Leighton obviously had more chemistry with David Hasselhoff than Lynn Topping (the new Chris) did, Snapper and Chris were sacred to Bill Bell, and he didn't wanna break them up.   Like Eileen Davidson later on, Roberta Leighton was just one of those girls who sorta overpowered most of her male co-stars, which I felt was why she didn't work with Brock Reynolds, Lucas Prentiss, and Jonas NoName.  She COULD have been an interesting character because the past abuse she suffered from her father, but after the initial revelation of Nick's abuse, Bell seemed shy about digging too deeply into that.   And without that being explored, what the heck could you do with her, except just have her walk through a hospital room with a stethescope around her neck announcing, "She's holding her own for the moment, but she's not out of the woods yet."   lol.