The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

You know, Carl, it's ok if people complain about Maggie not mentioning her sister in 3 episodes. It's a valid complaint, there's no need to rationalize an oversight on the part of the writers.

But I suppose Maggie could just assume that Beth is dead because this is Beth come on, no one expects her to live.

So Bob, Maggie and Sasha ended up in the exact same place they were at the beginning of the episode except they're...happier? Okay. There's ponderous and insightful and then there's boring.

I know Darryl's plan worked but it made NO SENSE to draw all those walkers to the basement. It just doesn't make sense. Who would think to do that? Lead them outside. Why confine yourself to such a small chance of survival?

Is it wrong that Bob and Sasha's kiss grossed me out? Can you even imagine what these people smell like? And oh god, their breath.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think it's stupid that Maggie hasn't mentioned her sister. I agree that it's bad writing. The reason I was disagreeing was because of the comment that her having psychological problems was convenient, like it's something fans are saying to defend her. Kirkman said it in the interview, and I thought she was acting this way even before Kirman's interview.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Okay, cool, I don't think any large part of the audience is turning against Maggie. People love Glenn and Maggie far too much and no one really cares about Beth at all (I still don't think she has much of a personality, she's just potential zombie fodder to me).

I've seen a lot of articles comparing this season to Lost, I don't see it. Lost was frankly more ambitious in its storytelling which just let to pretentiousness that turned me off. TWD is trying to be pretentious (long laborious shots of people walking with no dialogue and a backing track is so student film) but the dialogue and the setting aren't grandiose enough for that. I wish this show played with time more, if only to get away from the monotony of seeing the woods of Georgia every Sunday.

• Members

I haven't really seen Lost so I can't say. I know there's a certain ponderousness in this genre (it's one of the reasons I could only take so much BSG - well that and that horrible actor who played Baltar), and TWD falls prey to this too. I feel like a part of TWD has always been pretentious, and I feel like they're getting a little too wrapped up in their own niche (all the music montages, for instance).

I have mixed feelings about the format of recent episodes. I feel like we're getting genuine character development, which I am happy about, because I felt like last season everything sort of fizzled out after Lori and T-Dog were killed, and there was a lot of time spent setting up a threat who just wasn't very threatening (The Governor), a lot of time spent establishing a story arc for Andrea which was snuffed out, and a lot of people at the prison who were full of angst, but had little to say or do. Yet there's only so much development you can get if the story is going nowhere. I actually like Beth, but I don't need or want her to be Daryl's salivation. Frankly, I just don't care about Daryl at this point, and he's starting to creep me out a little.

One of the problems I have is that I almost dread when they do get to Terminus, because I'm afraid it's just going to be another "good" place which quickly goes bad and everyone runs around like chickens with their heads cut off as the characters who aren't main cast members might die, or might not.

I guess what I'm saying is I love a lot of the characters (Sasha, Maggie, Glenn, Rick, Michonne) and like many other characters (Tara, Beth, Bob, Tyreese), but I don't really have any interest in the actual storyline the show is working on, especially if that storyline involves Abraham, Mullet Man, and Daisy Duke.

The show is all character and no plot. And I'm not sure how I feel about this.

• Members

See I don't think the show is much character or much plot. The characters on this other than Rick, Carl, Michonne and Carol are EXTREMELY thin. And that's because we really have no idea who anyone else was before the zombie apocalypse. Maybe they're saving their backstories, maybe it doesn't matter in this new world and that's the point they're trying to get across.

I feel like when the characters do speak they don't say much of significance, they don't talk about the things they should (I feel like this show avoids the logical livability of their situation, other than the fact that they do need a place to live, and I wish I knew why. It's the same way Lost (mentioning Lost again) quickly stopped dealing with the fact that they were on a deserted island.). They have the characters do stupid things and no one points it out. I'm tired of walkers sneaking up on people, it happens on almost a weekly basis. It's like they're suddenly stealth when the plot calls for it yet the rest of the time you can hear them like crickets at night.

• Members

I keep forgetting Carol is still there. I guess because I keep wondering if she's going to die soon. I wish the character hadn't gotten so involved in the shipping wars. I've seen more fans arguing about "Caryl" vs "Bethyl" than talking about her actual storyline with the girls.

• Members

I'm sorry you guys are reading/posting in obnoxious places. I don't see shipping wars on the articles I read about TWD. I know people root for Daryl and Carol, Maggie and Glenn but I've only ever seen people recoil at the idea of Beth and Daryl.

• Members

It's mostly tumblr, but bleeds over to other places (TWOP sometimes, or some article comments sections - for instance, an idiotic Wetpaint article that erroneously claimed TWD was beaten in 18-49 this week by Resurrection got comments from fans saying it was all because of Beth and Daryl and the show ignoring Carol for Beth and Daryl).

It's not as bad as I make out but it can get annoying when I want to talk with people about a story and they are talking about how Carol will die because of the show's agenda for Daryl/Beth.

Shawn, I think you're probably right.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I am so glad that Carol is back Melissa mcbride is amazing actress and it looks like The Grove is going to be a very dark. this is the big controversial episode that AL was talking about.

And the promo's and teasers are creepy especially the one that has i think lizzie playing tag with a walker..

Carol arc has been the most interesting story this season even though I find the story very ooc with carol being the killer.

The shipping thing is bullshit and it is one of the reasons i dislike Daryl. but i do find the beth & daryl shipping creepy as hell.

Edited by nightstar