DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought Christie, Kristian, and especially Deidre looked great during this time period.

The Alex North story had so many problems.  Even though John was correct he came off as an obsessive psycho a lot and Marlena was acting exceptionally dumb as well.

The Carrie/Austin/Lucas/Sami stuff should have been good, but the plot was so stupid.  The show had to work hard to mess up something that should have been a no brainer.  The pregnancy stuff with Austin/Carrie so stupid.

I liked Phillip/Belle/Shawn/Mimi.  I am one of the few that actually really liked Mimi and I thought FF/JC had decent chemistry.

100% agree about Chelsea coming back.  Aside from awful hair choices, Rachel Melvin was great.

• Members

It did seem like JER just recycled a lot of the plots from his first run (John/Marlena/Roman, Bo/Hope/Billie, Sami/Lucas/Carrie/Austin, Lexie having an affair), almost as though no time had passed between his two runs. Plus, writing Passions at the same time must have taken a huge toll on him.

I need to go back and watch that era. My memories are a little hazy lol 

• Members

I have to say I am enjoying the rehashes of the quads but watching the Bo and Billie scenes in the aftermath of Zacks death and this would have hit different for me with Lisa Rinna's Billie. I didn't care for this Billie even when I was a pre-teen and having seen 90s Billie since, I would have loved the drama. 

I agree on John/Marlena/Alex, John truly came off psycho...they did need a new twist on Carrie/Austin/Sami/Lucas, maybe Carrie should have returned solo and Austin down the line with Will closer to Carrie than Sami, allowing conflict there. The business drama seems stupid as well. 

When did the styling and wardrobe go downhill? I would definitely say the end of 2008, early 2009. Atrocious after that. I would rather they buy and reuse good clothes than have a new cheap wardrobe on the daily. 

• Members

I think JP's Billie was pretty good.  It was just a thankless role.  Billie had moved so far away from the character Lisa originated that it was hard to reconcile the two.  Billie also became the ultimate loser in love.

The Alex stuff was just awful.  I am embarrassed on WN/DH's behalf that they re-used original Roman/Mar flashbacks for this mess.  John was acting like a lunatic.   He wouldn't even let Marlena breathe let alone get her memories back on her own.  And not that I needed it to matter, but the Roman/Marlena affair and baby had zero impact at all on John/Marlena.  Once she tumbled down those stairs John was just a-okay with everything.  I know it progressed into the amnesia/Alex story, but John never even was that mad about it.  Mess.  I did like John/Kate for a minute though and Jarlena are my faves.

The Sami/Austin/Lucas/Carrie stuff was just juvenile.  They were old enough and been around long enough to recognize the silly Sami/Lucas machinations.  And Carrie/Austin have had so many freaking careers.  At least they seem to have settled on careers for them now and don't even pretend Sami works lol.  It all just seemed like the silliest  90's JER misunderstandings.

I think the show's wardrobe looked through the 2011 reboot.  Everyone still had good hair and clothing for the most part.  I would say it went downhill after that.

• Members

I think that was the issue - it's not wrong re-visiting it, but they couldn't have everyone be THAT naive again; the first time around it sort of made sense because no one knew how far Sami (and Lucas) could go, but the second time around they really should've had a hard time with tricking people. I mean, even Ron had people being clued in that Sami and Lucas were up to something this time around.

• Members

Well, Austin has always been stupid, but Carrie wasn't.   Carrie has always had a soft spot for Lucas, but she was always wise to Sami's stuff.  And with anything medical, I think Carrie/Austin should know to get a 2nd/3rd/4th opinion considering Sami's acuity at falsifying tests like that.  And just trying to make Sami/Austin a thing is wrong.  That was never the point or goal for that relationship.  

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I was thinking about “head writer eras”, and then thinking about 1982-1989, and how I don’t really see that time period associated with a certain head writer. 

That’s kinda crazy, because that’s the era when Days exploded in popularity and was instrumental in creating the “supercouple” trend.  Bo and Hope, Shane and Kim, Roman/John and Marlena, Steve and Kayla, Jennifer and Jack at the tail end… the show was on fire! The writing, production values, and star charisma were all on point.

But we don’t seem to look at this time in any way similar to a “JER era”. I referenced the head writer list from Jason47’s site and I think I see why. It was a rotating series of head writers and mostly CO-head writers.

Margaret DePriest & Sheri Anderson.......4/19/82-9/21/84............
Margaret DePriest, Sheri Anderson & Thom Racina..9/24/84-10/25/84.........
Sheri Anderson & Thom Racina...............10/26/84-11/30/84........ 
Sheri Anderson, Thom Racina & Leah Laiman......12/3/84-11/10/86..........
Thom Racina & Leah Laiman..................11/11/86-11/18/86........ 
Leah Laiman.........................................11/19/86-3/14/89..........

Despite the shift in writers, to me – it’s amazing how the show kept a throughline of maintaining the same “feel” during all those years. Thoughts?