DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members
COMING SOON: FROM THE VAULT: ADDIE'S LAST EPISODE...

"Days" fans, posting soon will be the final episode script of Addie (Julie and Hope's mother), who dies while taking baby Hope for a walk in her carriage.

"ADDIE: That way I'll have time to take Hope for her afternoon stroll.

DOUG: Don't you want me to come along and push the carriage?"
Edited by JAS0N47

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
FROM THE VAULT: ADDIE'S LAST EPISODE: # 2164, JUNE 28, 1974...

Writers: William J. Bell, Pat Falken Smith, Bill Rega

ACT ONE: INT. WILLIAMS' LIVING ROOM

(TIGHT SHOT ON ADDIE, A WARM, LOVING EXPRESSION ON HER FACE, PULL BACK TO SHOW ADDIE PLAYS WITH AN OLDER SIX MONTH OLD CHILD, HOPE, ON THE FLOOR IN WILLIAMS' LIVING ROOM, HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME)

ADDIE: Your father's right, darling...You are pretty wonderful. But then, so is he. Aren't we a lucky pair of girls to have him? (AND ON HER HAPPINESS, FADE TO BLACK)

ACT TWO: INT. DOUG'S PLACE

(DOUG IS ALONE, PRACTICING FOR THE EVENING CROWD. IT'S AFTERNOON. BRING JULIE INTO HIS PLACE, MOODED BY HER SERIOUS DISCUSSION WITH BOB. SHE WATCHES DOUG FOR A MOMENT, HER EYES DEEP AS SHE LOOKS AT HIM. THEN SHE APPROACHES PIANO. DOUG LOOKS UP, GRINS AT HER)

DOUG: Well, well. Look who's here...Another lady who walked in off the street.
JULIE: I'm surprised to find you're alone.
DOUG: You mean Jeri Clayton? She's cooling it for a while. Guess she had a few problems.
JULIE (her own meaning, low): Doesn't everybody?
DOUG: Not me. I'm sitting on top of the world. (Grins impishly at her). That'd make a good song title, wouldn't it? (Peers at her unsmiling face). Come on, fair lady, nothing can be that bad.
JULIE: Don't bet on it. This fair lady's feeling pretty low.
DOUG: You've come to the right place. Old Doc Williams will lend you his shoulder. (He looks at her, sobers as he thinks of a reason for her mood. Beat.) Mary's still doing all right, isn't she?
JULIE (nods): The hospital reports are very good.
DOUG: I can imagine what a relief that is to Phyl and Bob.

(THE MENTION OF BOB'S NAME REMINDS JULIE OF WHAT SHE CAME TO TALK ABOUT AS WELL AS THE "ACCIDENT")

JULIE: She's sitting up, feeling fine...apparently remembers very little of what happened. (Beat). I wish I could say the same.
DOUG: Not easy to shake a...near-tragedy like that, Julie.

(A LONG MOMENT AS THEY LOOK INTO ONE ANOTHER'S EYES, AND JULIE IS WELL AWARE DOUG SUSPECTS WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED, ALTHOUGH HE DOESN'T ASK)

JULIE: Sometimes I wish my memory center was a little vague...like Mary's.
DOUG (gently): It's over, Julie. You'll have to try and put it out of your mind.
JULIE: That's easier said than done, I'm afraid.

(A BEAT. JULIE SHUDDERS SLIGHTLY AS THE WHOLE THING FLASHES BACK IN HER MIND. BEAT).

JULIE: Do me a favor? Play "The Look of Love?"
DOUG (shaking his head): No way, lady. Any other favor, but not that.
JULIE: Why not?
DOUG: I sang it the night of Mary's accident...dedicated it to you and Addie. And I had the weirdest feeling when I was singing it. I told Max it felt as if someone was walking on my grave. (Puts on a shudder for her). I'm going to lay off that number for a while.
JULIE: That's a little scary, isn't it?
DOUG: You better believe it. (Beat as he looks at her). Besides, Bob told me that song sometimes brings tears to your eyes. That isn't good, Julie.

(A LONG MOMENT AS THEY LOOK AT ONE ANOTHER, KNOWING WHY THE SONG MAKES HER CRY, BUT IT'S ALL SAID IN EYE PLAY. BEAT, UP BUT GENTLY)

DOUG: The way I figure, there's no room for a sad song in your life or mine.
JULIE (low): Isn't there?
DOUG: In case you haven't noticed, we've got it made. You have yourself quite a husband, Mrs. Anderson. Bob's one hell of a man.
JULIE (low): I know that, Doug.

(AND NOW SHE'S ABOUT TO TELL HIM OF HER PRIOR DISCUSSION WITH BOB, BUT BEFORE SHE GETS THE CHANCE, DOUG GOES ON, VERY UP)

DOUG: And as for me, a guy never had it so good! A wife I adore, a baby who has me twisted around her little finger. I can't really believe it could happen to me.
JULIE (low, looking at the obvious happiness on his face): Obviously it has.
DOUG: No more sad songs, from now on it's upbeat.

(JULIE LOOKS AT HIM, REALIZES NOW SHE CAN NOT CONFIDE IN HIM ABOUT THE DIVORCE SHE AND BOB DISCUSSED. AND SHE ALSO REALIZRS THE DOOR IS AS PERMANENTLY CLOSED AS EVER WHERE DOUG'S CONCERNED. DOUG DROPS A PIECE OF MUSIC ON FLLOR, BENDS TO PICK IT UP. NOTE: TENTATIVE CUT: IN TIGHT ON JULIE'S EYES, AND FOR ONE MOMENT SHE HEARS):

DOUG (pre-recorded, whispering voiceover): "The look of love is in your eyes...the look...(fading)...that time can't erase..." 

(END TENTATIVE CUT. SHE SHAKES HER HEAD, PUTS FINGERS TO HER EYES IN CASE THERE HAVE BEEN SUDDEN TEARS, AS DOUG SITS BACK UP ON PIANO BENCH)

JULIE: You're right, of course...no more sad songs. My marriage to Bob is perfect, just as yours is to Mother.
DOUG (smiling at her): As I said, I'm sitting on top of the world. Care to join me?
JULIE: Why not, we're two very lucky people, aren't we?

(VERY QUICKLY, LEST SHE SHOW HER EMOTIONS, JULIE TURNS, EXITS. DOUG LOOKS AFTER, SURPRISED).

ACT THREE: INT. WILLIAMS' LIVING ROOM (A LITTLE LATER. OPEN ON ADDIE AND HOPE STILL PLAYING ON LIVING ROOM FLOOR. AD LIB WITH ADDIE AND THE BABY UNSTIL SHE HEARS: SOUND: KEY IN LOCK. DOOR OPENS, DOUG ENTERS. HE HAS ROSES FOR ADDIE, A TOY FOR HOPE)

DOUG: Ta da! Your friendly neighborhood husband and father is home.
ADDIE (smiling at him): Ta da yourself! And just in the nick of time.
DOUG (going to her): How's that?
ADDIE: You can help me up off the floor. It's a little late in life for me to take up yoga.

(SHE RAISES HER ARMS TO HIM, HE HELPS HER UP, THEY EMBRACE, KISS. BEAT, SOFTLY, LOVE VERY EVIDENT)

ADDIE: Hello, Mr. Williams.
DOUG (his love evident, too): Hi, Mrs. Williams. (hands roses to her) Flowers for my favorite wife.
ADDIE: They're beautiful. You're much too extravagant.
DOUG (airily): Naturally. (bends to baby). And for the most gifted, wonderful, beautiful daughter in the world.

(HE HUGS AND KISSES HOPE, SHE RESPONDS, EAGERLY TAKES TOY FROM HIS HAND .DOUG SMILES RUEFULLY AT ADDIE AND THE BABY. REACTS MORE TO TOY THAN HIM. BEAT)

DOUG: That didn't take long. I think we're raising a golddigger.
ADDIE: Why not the way you spoil her? (puts flowers in vase). Both of us.
DOUG: I can't think of another wife and daughter who deserve it more.
ADDIE (to baby): You see, darling? I told you before how lucky we were to have such a nice man around the house.
DOUG (solemnly): You're so right. I am pretty wonderful.
ADDIE (smiling fondly at him): Um hmmm. And modest, too.

(AS ADDIE FUSSES WITH FLOWERS, DOUG SITS ON FLOOR, PLAYS WIT BABY. WE FEEL HOW JOYOUSLY HAPPY THIS FAMILY IS)

ADDIE: Mother called earlier.
DOUG: How is she?
ADDIE: Fine. She told me Mary Anderson will probably be leaving the hospital in a day or so.
DOUG: Julie said she was feeling much better, when she stopped by the club for a minute.
ADDIE: How was she?
DOUG: Seemed a little low.
ADDIE: I'm not surprised...after that awful accident up at the lake.
DOUG: It was pretty rugged.
ADDIE: I kept thinking about poor Phyl, how horrible it's been for her. Imagine almost losing a daughter in a tragic mistake like that.

(TAKE DOUG'S REACTION TO THIS. AFTER ALL, HE SUSPECTS ADDIE COULD VERY WELL HAVE LOST HER DAUGHTER IN THE "TRAGIC MISTAKE." BEAT)

ADDIE: I'm going to call Julie later, see if we can't have lunch tomorrow. The accident made me realize I mus'n't let any more time go by. I want to try to recapture the closeness we found during my illness.
DOUG (quietly): Something like that makes you think about a lot of things.
ADDIE (nods): And it's up to a mother never to lose a daughter.
DOUG (smiling at Hope): I know a father who's never going to lose his daughter.
ADDIE: You'd better include his wife, too.
DOUG (grinning at her): Just to prove my good intentions, I'll take you out for dinner.
ADDIE: Do I have my "druthers?"
DOUG: Well, since I find you such a satisfactory spouse, I guess so.
ADDIE (smiling at him): Then I'd "druther" have you surprise me with one of your home-cooked meals.
DOUG: I suppose that could be arranged.
ADDIE: That way I'll have time to take Hope for her afternoon stroll.
DOUG: Don't you want me to come along and push the carriage?
ADDIE: You can play chef.
DOUG: "Play" indeed! (pretends to think) Pheasant under glass, maybe?
ADDIE (pretending to be stricken): Oh, dear...we don't have a single pheasant left in the freezer.
DOUG (shakes head): Tch, tch ,tch, such a shopper. Let's see...beef Wellington, chateaubriand flambe...
ADDIE (sadly): Fresh out of fixings.
DOUG: Then how about some spaghetti?
ADDIE: That I'm prepared for. On one condition.
DOUG: Which is?
ADDIE: You clean up afterwards.
DOUG: Sacre bleu! I am insult!

(ADDIE GOES TO CLOSET, GETS HOPE'S COAT AND HER OWN, DOUG HELPS BABY INTO HER OUTFIT AS ADDIE PUTS ON HER COAT. BEAT)

DOUG: Remember, now, be back in an hour. Spaghetti can't wait.
ADDIE: I promise. Have I ever stood you up in my life?

(SHE SMILES HAPPILY AS SHE WATCHES DOUG WRESTLE HOPE INTO HER OUTFIT)

INT. JULIE'S HOTEL SUITE LIVING ROOM (JULIE ENTERING HOTEL SUITE, SEES BOB SIT QUIETLY ON SOFA)

JULIE: Bob...
BOB (quietly): Hello, Julie. I've been waiting for you.
JULIE: For my...answer? (looks at him, he nods) I've come to my senses, you're right, of course.

(AS SHE STARTS TO HIM, HIS FACE LIGHTS UP, HE STANDS, MOVES TO HER)

JULIE: I did over-react...what happened to Mary. Our marriage is a good one...and it's going to last the rest of our lives.

(BOB TAKES HER HUNGRILY IN HIS ARMS)

BOB: Julie, Julie, my darling.

(A LOVING EMBRACE AND KISS. BEAT)

BOB: Never do anything like that to me again, promise?
JULIE (quietly): Yes, Bob...I...promise. (AND ON ANOTHER EMBRACE...FADE TO: BLACK)

ACT FOUR: INT. WILLIAMS' KITCHEN (LATER, WINDOW OPEN. DOUG, WEARING APRON, HAS SPAGHETTI SAUCE BUBBLING ON STOVE, FOLLOWS COOK BOOK. BUT HE HAS SEVERAL VATS OF WATER BOILING, OVERFLOWING WITH SPAGHETTI, HAS TO KEEP TRANSFERRING TO OTHER POTS)

DOUG: The recipe only called for one package of spaghetti, but it looked so skinny... (peers into pot)  Wow, it's fat enough now. Maybe four packages was too much.

(EVEN AS HE TRANSFERS BOILING OVER SPAGHETTI, THE SAUCE STARTS TO BUBBLE OMINOUSLY. HE STIRS WITH WOODEN SPOON, THEN TASTES. MAKES A FACE)

DOUG: I hope Addie likes garlic. (shakes his head) I hope I like it.

(HE FACES BACK TO COOK BOOK, READS)

DOUG: Strain in a collander. What the heck is that?

(OFF SCREEN WE HEAR: SOUND: SCREECH OF CAR BRAKES AND A CRASH. DOUG WINCES, STARTS FOR WINDOW TO LOOK OUT)

DOUG: Oh, brother!

(NOW. SOUND: PHONE RINGS. BEFORE HE REACHES WINDOW, DOUG TURNS BACK, STARTS FOR PHONE, THEN SEES BUBBLING POTS, HASTILY TURNS OFF EVERYTHING, THEN DASHES FOR PHONE)

DOUG: I'm coming, I'm coming! (answers phone) Hello?

(TWO-WAY CALL WITH JULIE, FROM HOTEL SUITE)

JULIE: It's Julie, Doug.
DOUG: Well, hi! You certainly made a fast exit from the club today.
JULIE: I...was in a hurry. (beat) Bob and I are going out to dinner to celebrate Mary's feeling so much better. We wondered if you and Mother could join us?
DOUG: Better still, why don't you both come over here? I'm making spaghetti.
JULIE: Sure there'll be enough?
DOUG (rolling his eyes toward the pots on stove): For us and a visiting army.
JULIE: Bob's in the shower, but I'm sure he'd love it.
DOUG: Be sure he loves garlic, too. (tastes, makes a face)
JULIE (beat, soberly): Doug...you were right earlier. We both should be very grateful for what we have.
DOUG: No more sad songs?
JULIE: No more. I have a wonderful husband...and I'm going to try and be a good wife to him. (beat) And I'd like Mother to know how I feel.
DOUG (warmly): That's great, Julie. She mentioned before she hadn't seen enough of you lately.
JULIE: We have to drop by the hospital first to see Mary. Then we'll be right over.
DOUG: See you soon, fair lady.

(DROP TWO-WAY CALL, DOUG HANGS UP, STARTS BACK TO STOVE, NOW: SOUND: DOORBELL RINGS. DOUG ROLLS HIS EYES SKYWARD, PAN WITH HIM AS HE GOES TO DOOR)

DOUG: Talk about Grand Central Station! (grins) Bet the lady who's never late for a date with me forgot her key. I won't tell her Julie and Bob are coming...let it be a surprise. (throws door open)  Forgot your key...

(BUT HE STOPS. BECAUSE IT ISN'T ADDIE, IT'S MRS. LACEY, A NEIGHBOR, HER FACE WHITE WITH SHOCK. SHE HOLDS HOPE IN HER ARMS. DOUG DRAWS A BLANK, UNCOMPREHENDING)

DOUG: Hi, Mrs. Lacey...where's my wife?

(MRS. LACEY LOOKS AT HIM, OPENS HER MOUTH, BUT NOTHING COMES OUT, BEAT)

DOUG: I said where's Addie? How come you've got Hope?

(MRS. LACEY AGAIN TRIES TO SPEAK, BUT NOTHING COMES OUT)

DOUG: Did Addie go to the store? Forget something for dinner? Ah, that's it...went to pick up some burgandy for the spaghetti.

(MRS. LACEY SHAKES HER HEAD, NOW TEARS START TO STREAM DOWN HER FACE)

MRS. LACEY: The baby...she's all right, Mr. Williams. Little Hope...(her voice quavers)...She wasn't hurt at all.
DOUG (shaken, realizing something is wrong): Addie! Where is my wife, Mrs. Lacey?

(MRS. LACEY IS TOO CHOKED TO SPEAK, HOLDS HOPE OUT TO DOUG. BUT DOUG DOESN'T EVEN LOOK AT THE CHILD)

DOUG (screaming): Can't you hear me? God in Heaven, where is Addie? Where is my wife?

(AND EVEN AS WE HEAR...SOUND: POLICE SIREN AND AMBULANCE. DOUG STARES AT THE SHAKING WOMAN AND CRYING CHILD. MUSIC: UP TO FINISH AND OUT. FADE TO: BLACK. UP ON:: COMMERCIAL # 6. MUSIC: THEME. UP ON: FILM-HOUR GLASS; MATTE CARD OR CRAWL. X PLUG. PRODUCTION TAG)

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

I'm watching 1995 Days right now and absolutely loving it. I really think 90s Days may be one of the best soaps of all time.

Unlike today when all of the soaps are basically the same, the show has a definite unique feel to it. I love how infused with religion it is. There are so many moments of people talking about their religion, like Alice deciding Gina is Hope because her bible opened up to a specific verse that day.

They do such a wonderful job blending all of the generations and using their vets while also mixing in compelling younger actors. Ali Sweeney is just a force of nature as Sami. Her obsessive love for Austin is so well done and doesn't feel weird -- Reilly would go back to this well often (for example, Theresa on Passions) but I think Sami's the archetype of that character. When she drugs him, it's definitely a trashy moment, but they sell it so well that it doesn't feel as trashy as it should, if that makes sense.

Days was definitely pushing the envelope with the storylines they told -- Sami drugging Austin being a prime example of that. But they blend the traditional with the envelope pushing so well that they always manage to sell it.

The sci fi aspects like Marlena being possessed or Stefano playing mind games with people do not feel gimmicky at all. It feels very organic to the storyline and just what is normal to happen in Salem.

Another thing I have to complement Reilly on is how damn good the day to day episodes are. There are ridiculous moments of delay in the pace, but it never feels that way, it always feels like the plot is moving and little things happen everyday that feel important even though they really aren't. He also does a great job of playing out all the beats and keeping a lot of characters involved all at once -- he is perhaps the most effective writer I've seen do this, perhaps even better than Marland.

The one weird thing for me was seeing actors different from the ones I'm used to...

Patrick Muldoon as Austin -- I didn't like him on Melrose Place and I don't really like him here. Austin Peck's Austin Reed was perhaps the dumbest soap opera male of all time, but in such an earnest, innocent, and endearing way that it circled back to likable. I can't wait until he shows up.

Lisa Rinna as Billie -- I love her. What a likable character. And she actually looked stunningly beautiful back then... shame what she has done to her face.

Robert Kelker-Kelly as Bo -- Actually I really like him in this role. He brings an intensity to it.

Deborah Adair as Kate -- She does nothing for me. I want my Lauren Koslow.

Mark Valley as Jack -- He seems like a different character than Matt Ashford's Jack, but I really like him. There is something so 90s about his characterization that is appealing.

But yeah, 1995 Days was firing on all cylinders. I really wish NBC would make all of 90s Days available on streaming. I'd pay good money for it. It totally holds up.

• Members

I loved 93-97 Days.  It's probably only 2nd to GH from that period to me. 

I have a lot of issues with the Possession, but at least it was a fully fleshed out story.  JER took his time with that story and really made it about a love story. It's not my cup of tea and it went on too long, but it was well crafted and gothic. It started with the Affair, moved into Maison Blanche, and Roman leaving/John becoming a priest into the Possession, then on to Aremid.  He had a long term plan.  The stories kept moving into new arcs and I agree JER was great at using the entire cast.  On Days, unlike Y&R or even GH, everyone knew each other, interacted, and knew one anothers business basically lol. 

I would say Aremid is my favorite JER story.  I loved when Stefano was a scary villian.  Someone people actually feared instead of a cartoon.   I thought Tony/Andre, Peter and later Kristen were great villians/spoilers.  Even something like Kristen's descent into evil was teased in the Possession which would never happen on a show now 1 year or 2 before she even became bad.

Lisa Rinna/RKK's Bo were fabulous together.  LR was really such a breath of fresh air as Billie.  I saw some of that Billie in Beyond Salem.  RKK did awful things backstage, but he was a great Bo.  I do think when PR stepped back in he just clicked with everyone except LR seamlessly though.

I liked PM's Austin, but I didn't mind AP's Austin either.  His stupidity as Austin actually worked for the story in the long run.  Sami was a great villian at the time and I never had any sympathy for her because I loved Carrie and Sami was so awful to Marlena/John as well.

DA's Kate was very good.  She played the character of Kate so grounded and real.  LK's Kate is just a different character altogether.

MV's Jack was fine for the story at the time, but a different character as well. 

The one thing I will say about JER is he didn't write Bo/Hope very well.  Bo/Billie were clearly his babies and I never thought Bo/Hope had a good JER story.  My faves were always John/Marlena so I loved JER was all about them, but Bo/Hope stories mostly were awful.

I wish more Days was available.  Now everything is private channels and impossible to find.  There is a lot of stuff I wished I watched before everything was purged by Sony.

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: EPISODE # 4057: THE DEBUT OF TONY DiMERA...

Here's a look at Tony DiMera's first appearance from Episode # 4057, which aired 40 years ago next week, on November 6, 1981. This also marks the debut scene of the DiMera family.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

It’s kind of like GH in 1980-1981- it was the right show with the right characters and the right creative team to make it into the action-adventure show it would ultimately become for most of the 1980’s.

I think Reilly was the right person at the right time with the right characters to do what he did with DAYS.  It worked with Carly and Vivian, and then really took off when he focused on Marlena.  He had so many classic characters back to work with his newer ones and integrated them beautifully.  And I am not a fan of the show must past the Posession, but I can’t deny what they accomplished.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I didn’t start watching Days until the 2000s so I was wondering who this is? I haven’t heard him mentioned and I always assumed Carrie was involved with Austin only in the 90s. Is he still alive? It just seems odd to me that Jennifer is his sister and if he’s Carrie’s age (which I don’t get based on those pictures) then you’d think they’d have him come back with kids or something. 

Is it a case of a problematic actor so they just ignore him ala Jason Brooks?