DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

I’ve been falling down the The Pawn storyline rabbit hole on YT, and it’s incredible what happened all at the same time (May 1986):

• John is Roman
  • Kim gave birth to Andrew
  • Bo finds out Victor is his father

Days was firing on all cylinders at the time!

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You also had the Andrew's paternity and one of the Bradys is Victor's child storylines at the same time. Really, Days had been humming along pretty briskly since the close of the (underrated) Richard Cates storyline a year earlier, which zipped immediately into Miami.

That said, I love just about everything from late 1983 to mid-1986.

• Members

I liked the Richard Cates story too.  It is underrated.  It was shocking we found out he was bad right after he slept with Marlena and how it gave Abe a good story.   It's crazy Marlena has literally only had 4 love interests in 45 years lol.

It is a little gross Kim thought she could be Victor's daughter and pregnant with his child at the same time lol.

Anyhow, I agree 83-87 is really good.  I wish there was more readily available still.

• Members

It was an odd time.  The loss of huge characters didn’t help- Bo, Hope, Marlena all left and came back (Hope briefly) during that period.  Michael T Weiss was also a great Mike, and he left too.  At first Roman/John was paired with Diana, and while I liked her, she was ill defined and didn’t last very long.  Also- as much as I loved people like Justin/Adrienne, and Jack/Jennifer, I think the supercouple formula had run it’s course.  I loved Eve, and Nick, but many did not care for Nick, especially as a lead.  There were also lots of starts and stops to stories due to talent leaving.  And I loved Carly, but I remember thinking she and Marlena returning were two bright spots in an otherwise terrible era.  RKK was a great recast when PR decided to leave again, but he had his own issues backstage and I was very happy when Peter came back.  I also though Peter’s Bo had better chemistry with Carly.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Agree...and disagree.

On the one hand, yeah, the supercouple formula, as DAYS had employed it throughout the '80's, had grown stale.  I mean, there's only so many times you can tell the story of a young, star-crossed couple on the run from some mustache-twirling villain before the whole thing begins to feel old hat.  But, on the other hand, supercouples had been part of DAYS' brand since Bill/Laura and Doug/Julie in the '60's and '70's; so, to suggest that DAYS needed to eliminate supercouples altogether -- as even I, myself, have suggested in the past -- would be another way of suggesting that DAYS needed to stop being DAYS and become an entirely different show -- which it didn't need to.  It just needed to regain some depth it had lost in the action/adventure-heavy '80's.

Unfortunately, instead of returning to its' more nuanced, character-driven roots, DAYS, under JER, turned in the opposite direction, becoming more shallower than ever, without even the well-told, if not wholly relatable, action/adventure stories of old to keep it interesting.

• Members

I do not disagree.  I think soaps should have an element of romance, and I don’t know why they shy away from it so much.  And I have loved my share of super couples.  But it’s like you said- the formula they perfected, which was very specific to DAYS had grown a little stale by the early 1990’s.  Nobody did supercouples like they did back then.