B&B: October Discussion Thread

• Members

I still feel like Brad Bell is trapped in the 1980's with his use of African American characters but he probably feels very trendy for the use of a bi-racial baby. Shouldn't Stephnie have a bit more pity/understanding for Daisy considering her retro lost in the ghetto story? Stephanie had this 'people like you who steal and think the world ownes them something' attitude that was slightly racist. Actually, it was more than slightly racist and I'm sure certain viewers were offended if nothing from a social justice perspective.

Soaps should avoid social issues in general. Either you end up with a rich guy like Bell accidently being racist or the radical left pushing for stories to go all the way as was the case with ATWT, In the 1970's and 1980's, 'issues' stories were short and just touched on the topic enough to start a convo at home. Now, fan bases take over and social issues stay on canvus for years driving away more traditional viewers. The role of a soap is to entertain while making money; not educate, pimp an agenda and get cancelled like ATWT, GL and (almost) OLTL.

The sort of people who post on Son are liberal; but the silent majority of soap fans are rather tradional and older. Stay at home moms in the bible belt make up a huge chunk of watchers and clearly they aren't digging progressive characters. I think Y&R does well because it is rather sexist, homophobic and uses African Americans in a token manner. I know a lot of black viewers watch Y&R but this is probably due to the fact that no other show, aside from OLTL, even has a black family.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I totally agree on all points. Even if it was meant to be about class and not race, it was a nasty perspective. As if people are living on the streets because they are lazy and entitled. unsure.gif Stephanie should have learned that there's a lot more to it than that, back when she found herself alone in the world with no place to turn for help.

• Members

OH! MY! GOD! You are KILLING me! :lol::lol::lol:

At the end of Friday's episode, when Stephanie's scarf flew off all across the 'hood, I impulsively started doing my best Della Reese impression...

When you walk down the road, heavy burden heavy load, i will rise and i will walk with you. i'll walk with you till the sun don't even shine, walk with you every time i tell i'll walk with you (walk with you) believe me i'll walk with you.

• Members

Exactly, Stephanie lived on the streets and should thus have some empathy. Also, she has been kind to certain characters on the show. The 'you people are lazy and think the world owes you something' is not only ignorant but almost the sort of thing that would have caused a NAACP outcry in the 1990's--back when people watched soaps and stories got noticed. Race and class issues don't get much reaction these days so Brad Bell gets a free pass. Bell, Kay Adlen and Jack mith just need to retire. They are way out of touch with society as it is TODAY and this is reflected by the weak demos for B&B. Imagine if poor sick gay men were given the same treatment and Stephanie had said 'you people are all promiscuous and think the world owes you free meds'? In NYC, on 22ed street in Chelsea, there is a hotel used to house sick, mostly gay, men who look a lot like people on Day-Z's skid row (bad clothes, drug addiction) and there would be a huge out cry if any show dared to do a theme like that.

• Members

I think they had Stef react that way just so she could be shown the error of her ways. I think she was supposed to represent certain viewers that Brad is trying to educate, but it just comes across so heavy handed and clumsy. Social issues no longer work on soaps, imo.

• Members

Never realized the American 1950's soap was supposed to educate people about how to be 'proper' Americans. Almost took a job with the UN writing radio soaps for under-developed nations dealing with social issues like HIV, domestic abuse, drug abuse. It was then that I realized how heavy handed soaps can be and how they have been, historially, part of social projects.

• Members

Is it heavy handed and clumsy? Sure. But I think it does make a point about Stephanie---even though she's had several epiphanies, (either life/death situations, or with her personal relationships with Eric, her children or Brooke) they're always short-lived...she ends up right back in her sanctimonious, petty, judgmental ways.

While no one wants Steph to be a saint, she needs to understand (IMO) that sometimes her judgments about people are really just wrong. I mean, wasn't she just telling Jackie Bridget was a little Logan slut like her mother and aunts? And therefore her marriage was doomed?

• Members

No stories work on today's soaps because the people in charge don't know how to tell them. I think a good soap writer would still know how to tell a social issue story. Brad Bell never has. Whether it's HIV, or severe burns, TB, or foster children, every one has been ridiculous, badly paced, and often whimpers to a conclusion, or they're just outright offensive (the nobility of suicide, rape used to get your ex back into your bed).

• Members

LOVE that Felicia is back! Her energy was so missed yet so needed. I hope they actually give her a story. With Steffy off the show, why not have them try her and Bill? They might be good and I think she and Katie would work well as rivals

Love that they mentioned Dante and that he is at least in Dino's life. Sucks for her though that she's not back 10 minutes and she gets the most devasting news. I really wish B&B would bring Kristen back as well. Speaking of which, when did she and her family move to Florida? I thought they were in Africa

• Members

Loved when all the Forrester's introduced themselves to Dayzee. And Brooke's speech wub.gif another great episode today.

I'm digging Amber vs. Aggie, hate that they are fighting over Nick though. But there were sparks with them today, and I foresee even more intense arguments and whatnot between them. I'm so on team Aggie. Amber really needs to get the hell away & back off. Nick doesn't want her.

Archived