Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Watching that I had a sudden recollection of Paul Ryan's "internet shopping" enterprise which bore no actual resemblance to anything on the internet. Can't remember exactly when that was, or whether it was John Howard or Scott Holroyd in the role.

Edited by BuckyB12

• Members

ITA. Where rare vintage episodes are concerned, I am always grateful to uploaders for offering us the material in any way they can, but it's always more enjoyable to watch the episodes in full, rather than in chopped-up, sequential segments.

A youtube host does not acquire the rights to episodes simply by uploading them to the internet first, or even by putting his personal "watermark" on them. If another fan has a higher-quality (or a complete) copy of a specific episode, posting that one on-line as well only benefits soap viewers as a whole. Why would it even be a "problem" that two copies of the same video existed on youtube?

Right, the problem with making youtube videos "private" is that you can only allow a maximum of 50 (I believe) people to view them. Those 50 people must have youtube accounts of their own and  be authorized individually by the uploader. It's unnecessary work and inconvenience for a generous uploader whose goal was simply to share "soap goodness" with other fans.

• Members

If P&G doesn't care (which, after a decade sure seems to be the case), why should a YouTube uploader cling so hard and fast to material that he/she neither wrote, performed in or produced?  Honestly, the only thing that would make me change my mind would be if P&G/PGN decided to start their own YT channel and post clear, digital quality (or even great analog quality) episodes on YT.  Then, I would say, "why not have one definitive channel/portal for all ATWT episodes?" Such is not the case though.

• Members

Agreed.

I am speculating as to why people may take it personally and I imagine they may *assume* it is their copy that is being reshared.

I'd prefer if everybody worked together - the fandom is shrinking enough as it is - but what can you do? The Internet brings out weird things in people.

• Members

There also seems to be the attitude of "I did it first", therefore anyone coming in recently has to be using whoever did it first, kind of mindset.  I don't think people like that believe it's possible that someone could wait years before posting videos but we've seen that it is possible for someone to uncover old VHS tapes that they didn't realize they'd had in their possession for decades, or even not have the time or technology until recently to convert old videos.  It's just kind of silly to me to make assumptions about the motives of someone who posts their videos on a public platform, especially over some decades old videos that nobody is truly profiting from (unless I'm missing something).

• Members

Right. It is only NOW that many of my decades-old videotapes and audiotapes are being digitized and shared on the internet, by technology-savvy people who know how to do it. Had it been left up to me, all my vintage material would probably have withered away and remained unseen by other fans, because I just did not have the equipment and the know-how to share it on-line. Thank heavens for hardworking friends who do!

As soap fans, we all win when we share rare or long-lost videos!