As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Speaking of the overlooked continuity between writing regimes, only four years later David Cryer (Haskell) would return as Phillip Lombard. I would have liked the show to bring him back in the show's final years, as he might've made a good love interest for Lisa. Fulton and Cryer clearly have some zany, fun chemistry in these scenes. In the show's last years, Lisa was in desperate need of some fun and romance.

I was going to say the same thing.  Finn became much more assured in the next year and did some excellent work in 1986 and 87, in particular. 

Finn had come straight from Little Theater into television, already a different animal and daytime, in particular, has a very frenetic pace where one has to learn copious pages of dialogue very quickly. I don't think most people have an appreciation for how challenging that can be and Finn was not eased into things either...she entered in storyline that was already off the ground and running.

I'd advise people to look at her scenes in 1986 and 1987, she did some fantastic work on the show!

Last year I said that I wished Cal Randolph had stayed around (did the actor leave by choice or was his character dispatched?  I ask because with these livestreams we're finding out that many actors who were alleged to have been "cut" actually chose to leave e.g. Frank Runyeon and wanted to be written out).  The more I see the character, the more I think he should've stayed.  Fight me, if you want but I think Luke Reilly and Lisa Brown would have had some really good chemistry.

Was I the only one who didn't know that Zach Roerig got busted for DUI over Memorial Day weekend?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/29/vampires-diaries-zach-roerig-arrested-dui-allegedly-urinates-pees-jail-cell/

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I always thought he was fired, especially as his main screen partner for much of 1985 (Maggie) had also been pushed out, but I'm not sure. Didn't Eileen Fulton complain about having to play out Lisa's reaction to his murder or am I misremembering?

• Members

It sure would be nice if someone could actually interview him to find out.

As for Eileen Fulton, with Lisa already having to practically step over Whit's dead body, I could see why she'd be 'over it' in terms of having to play out another body practically dropping at her feet.

LOL.  Yes, he does!  Isn't Lisa Brown married to the actor who played Floyd IRL?

• Members

Fulton wanted to have the two have an affair and they said no and then when he was murdered she said, "Can't I at least wear black and cry and mourn" and they were like "no"! So Fulton agrees with us and it would have been fun for Lisa to have a casual fling with this younger ex con..that would cause Nancy to clutch her pearls and upset Tom, who hopefully would be so upset he would go to bed in just his pajama bottoms and have a concerned look on his face as he sat their shirtless...for scene after scene..

Never heard this version of ''Every Breath You Take''. Really makes the scenes pop. I always liked Cal. He was an interesting character. I think what hurt Cal was not having any ties to anyone in Oakdale.  Besides Diana and Maggie. Who were both long gone by the time Doug Cummings murdered him. It's nice watching an  episode without the down home earnest Snyder's. Or the endless merry go round with Holden and Lilly.   It's nice to see Lisa being used. In an episode from around this time. There are scenes where Frannie, Jay, Kirk, Marcy. Are worried over Lisa's kidnapping. And are then reunited with Lisa. Which i found very sweet . The more i watch of Susan Bedsow's run the more i like. Here's the episode i mentioned. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Susan Bedsow-Horgan was part of the HW duo that wrote OLTL for the Prospect Park/TOLN soaps, which was eagerly denigrated by much of the so-called 'soap press', which was highly unfortunate.

SBH should have been brought back to ATWT in the 90s after Marland passed...certainly in the late 1990s, at the very least. 

Many of the same people who eagerly denigrated her HW regime at OLTL during the PP/TOLN era eagerly heap praise on Sheffer who took the show the farthest away it had ever been from the style of storytelling that it was best known for.  How ironic.

• Members

There were some summer 1985 where Finn Carter is more relaxed.  

Lily in the summer of 1985 had friends and had a cute romance with Dusty.  All before the arrival of the dreaded Snyder's.   Only character from that group that fit was Iva.

• Members

I liked her OLTL. I also thought she should've been brought back in 1994 to ATWT.

I would've only used Emma, Holden and Meg with Iva included. I would not have brought in Seth, Ellie or Caleb. For me Caleb was very unlikable. I think they needed a stronger actor in the role.

• Members

Another fun show....my favorite line..."Ya had to take off the gag!" and Margo.."Yea..."  the kids welcoming Lisa home..this was a great time for Lisa, her own family and their various friends..you could really see her living in a big house and kids coming and going and her cool with it. Maybe they should have kept SBH with Marland to help him loosen up a bit!

• Members

Wasn't it Horgan who actually reunited Bob and Kim? She teed up a lot of what I think Marland was able to use to fly.

I remember her giving a very in-depth interview about her long and storied career some years ago, maybe just before or after OLTL 2.0. She's been all over daytime and worn many hats. To me she's always come off as a capable steward of talented visions; maybe not the most inspired on her own, but smart and very experienced. She took on the thankless role of following Linda Gottlieb (after years on staff as a writer) and having to keep the ship Gottlieb/Malone/Griffith had built steady in '94; it definitely wasn't perfect or as measured, but the show stayed on the same brand/style and full of popular couples and stories for most of the rest of the decade. Her 2.0 was not perfect, but solid and mature again. I appreciate her wealth of knowledge and experience.