As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

@BetterForgotten waiting for him to chime in

Please register in order to view this content

@soapfan770 Martha might have been well received but you couldn't tell in the ratings which were lower than when Rattray was there. A big remote and nicely done I might add did poorly in the ratings. The ratings the next few months with Martha back were rather flat.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

MB Lily came back at a time when then show had Glynnis O'Connor as Margo, Ned & Debbie Simon taking over, misuse of Royce, Hutch/Roseanna/Evan being front and fore center when none of that set the show on fire lol somehow  ATWT still managed be #5 for the overall season rank. 

• Members

Actually, I've been working my way through the RATS group, tracking ATWT posts (which were authentic audience responses). As I've made my way through 1990-1992, there was a very clear consensus that Heather wasn't well-liked in the role and I came upon many posts of people hoping Martha would be back (long before Heather left). Granted, that's just a portion of the total audience, and I didn't get to MB's actual return yet, but I get the general impression MB was liked in the role. 

I think this is the first I've heard of Martha and Colleen not getting along. Didn't Martha mention she was happy she got to branch out as Rose and work with Colleen amongst others?

Edited by Brolden

• Members

Yeah - being a new viewer to 80s and 90s ATWT, Martha Byrne is Lily. I can’t believe there’s any question about that. Heather Rattay is not a bad actress but she’s not Lily. She got SORAS’ed and became interested in business - something Lily would NEVER do after her feeling neglected by Lucinda’s business dealings and being so upset when Holden decided to get into corporate life. I’m in September ‘92 and I can’t WAIT to get to back to the real Lily. Heather didn’t have much charisma or spark with anyone on set whereas Martha had chemistry with everyone with whom she worked. It probably came from growing up acting opposite Liz - she learned from that how to really connect to a scene partner.

• Members

There was a maturity Heather brought to Lilly that I appreciated and that went away when Byrne came back. I was never wild about Lilly/Holden, so I appreciated the pivot the character took in the early 90's. 

And agreed, the Damian storyline was the saving grace for Byrne's Lilly when she came back to the role. 

• Members

Lily.and Damian were interesting because both of them were strong willed.  It was when I truly saw the benefits of Liky being raised by Lucinda because she didnt act like a weepy victim that she did when she was with Holden.

I liked her Lily in 1993 to 1997 before being stuck to Holden for the rest of the show's run. 

• Members

LOL totally almost all of them gave off gay vibes. This is the most I've been able to watch of Marland's ATWT and you weren't seeing things that weren't there, lol

I didn't like the spa stuff either. Ideas on paper often sound better than played out simply because soaps just don't take the time to layer characters and storylines. It was very DAYS, which is why I wasn't shocked at all when Hogan joined DAYS later on, lol

Yep. A less than exciting episode is still way better than the last decade of ATWT

Excellent post Carl! 

I liked Emma and Cal too. I get whiplash sometimes with how many couplings so many characters went through during Marland's time. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. Many of them didn't seem to have chemistry.

I also feel like they did a 'swap in/swap out' with certain characters. Exit Ellie enter Connor, for example. I know most soaps do that but I often wondered why they didn't just recast a certain character but I guess soaps weren't always so recast heavy back then, even though they did recast obviously.

I could see Casey and Frannie. Darn it, now I want that! lol

• Members

Casey got friend-zoned

Please register in order to view this content

I remember Casey getting drunk after Frannie gently turned him down, ranting to Dusty about women not knowing what they want.

• Members

I think there's a fine line---Rattray was better suited for the version of Lily that she portrayed. I can't imagine Byrne pulling off that cold, controlling, Lucinda-like vibe Lily had when she first returned. And part of my problem with Byrne is I never felt she grew as an actress. Now, whether that was because Lily was forced to circle back to Holden time and time again, or simply because Byrne only has so much in her wheelhouse, I don't know. 

It's personal preference. Just like Scott Bryce will always be my Craig, or Melanie Smith the superior Emily. 

Re: the Spa. The actual "Spa" part, with the blue drinks and Larkin Malloy---yeah, not so much. But I get why Martha, Kelley and Maura enjoyed it. They got to step outside their characters a bit, and for Kelley and Maura, it was easier to lounge around in white fluffy robes while preggers. And afterwards, at least for a while, they got to play the friendship out. Neither Emily or Carly really had women friends on the show (outside of family). Lily neither, although Rose had Mitzi.

• Members

Wonder what ever happened to those annoying actors that invaded the show circa 1996 ?  Lisa Lawrence who played Sarah Kasnoff has some credits on IMDB prior to 2007, but John Howard who played Paul Ryan for like 5 minutes is not even listed. Aisha Henderson who played (Zoe) only has 3 credits (1996-1999)