As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I remember as a kid when Bob and Kim got back together in the 80's and the scenes in the snow storm. Kim was talking about the past with Jennifer. I remember my Mom filled me in on the Kim/Bob/Jennifer story. To this day I wish I could see ATWT episodes circa 1972-73 when that all went down. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

How many people watched the Locher Room livestream with Scott Bryce, Hillary Bailey Smith and Gregg Marx?

In all this talk about writing regimes and continuity, it got me thinking about something Scott said and I'm a bit confused and now I have a question:

Scott said that Doug Marland would put these really humorous notes in the script. Love notes, Scott referred to them as being.  One note, Scott said was one where Craig and "Carlos" (Sierra Esteban's alias while she was disguised as a boy) are in Montega and there is an explosion and Craig throws his body on top of Carlos' and Scott said that in the script there was a "love note" that said that "Craig is strangely attracted to Carlos". 

I chuckled at that but now I'm a bit confused: Wasn't those Montega scenes/storyline supposed to fall under Susan Bedsow-Horgan's purview?  Was Marland "ghostwriting" or supervising during that time? Was he already embedded in the Writer's Room by then?

I ask because I've been told many times that Marland's work didn't show up onscreen until Autumn 1985 or late summer, at the earliest but these scenes that Bryce speaks of, clearly happened earlier in 1985 (late winter, at the latest).

Bryce seemed pretty clear on his relaying of the story.

Thoughts? Anyone?

• Members

None of that felt like Marland to me - he had such a specific style. 

That time period does seem to be a blur for those involved. Years ago when Horgan was interviewed, I submitted a question about bringing Eileen Fulton back as Lisa. She said something to the effect of having nothing to do with that or not being around at that time, even though I'm pretty sure she was. 

• Members

If there is a lot of misremembering in these interviews, it might not be helpful to invite Susan Bedsow Horgan on to talk about her time as a writer on ATWT then.  Locher had some GL writers on previously, so I was thinking that perhaps it might be cool to have her on to discuss her time as a writer on the show and maybe why she wasn't back after Marland's passing or anytime after, which would be interesting to know.

But you're right, it's been so long ago now, that may not be helpful or very insightful.

• Members

I think this is one of the cases where Locher's interview style of just talking to people might be better than specific questions. And I guess in cases like this with Bryce, HBS and Marx, it's an example of why people are more likely to just enjoy seeing their favorite actors again while those of us who might want to know details are more in the minority.

• Members

Oh, I enjoyed the discussion between HBS, GM and SB immensely.  It was highly entertaining. To have writers on, though, I'd have different expectations. 

As a writer myself, I'd want a discussion featuring another writer(s) to be instructive and informative and I realize that despite my curiosity about wanting to hear from SBH concerning her writing days at ATWT, I'd be unlikely to get what I 'want' out of a discussion on such a freewheeling format--the very quality that I liked so much when SB, HBS and GM appeared on the livestream.

• Members

The interview I was talking about was a podcast (he also interviewed Sharon Gabet and asked us to submit questions). 

I'd like that too. It's unfortunate that so many writers were not asked about their years on soaps in periods when they were able to go back in more detail. @FrenchFan did some great interviews with writers, and other than one glaring exception, the writers were usually very compelling and detailed and helped us fill in some blanks (I think Richard Backus was asked about his ATWT years in his interview).