Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm not sure if people think those of us who like Heather Rattray's Lily are trying to say she was very popular with viewers and Byrne wasn't missed. I don't think that's the case. I just don't really care.

It does, yes.  

• Members

In regards to Noelle Beck, do you guys think the writing didn't help people accept her as Lily?  She had a more low key and subdued way of playing Lily than Martha/Heather did..reminded me more of the 1st Lily's take in some ways.

While Martha and Heather played Lily as annoyed and frustrated with Lucinda..and both would lash out at her...Noelle's Lily seemed more exhausted and would retreat instead of fight with Lucinda.  And I'm glad Lily and Holden didn't reunite at the end..too toxic and limited both characters.

Also, I do recall Martha said she did watch some of Heather's run as Lily..and said she was good, marveling at all the acting opportunities she was given when playing Lily (miscarriage, Holden's disappearance, being stalked briefly in 1990, finding out about Aaron and Lucinda knowing where Holden was the whole time, etc) and wishing she could have played them.  I do recall Heather played Lily's miscarriage wonderfully..and I don't think Martha would have been as effective..imho

• Members

When Nicole Beck was in the role, Lily was used as a supporting character, not a romantic lead, as she had been with Martha and Heather.  So it's rather hard to compare Nicole's Lily to the other two.  I believe Nicole was a good casting choice, and could have handled anything thrown her way, had the writing for Lily livened-up.   But it was a shame Martha was driven away, after so many years playing Lily.   

• Members

It didn't help that Noelle and Jon had no real chemistry. I think Noelle's best moments were with Liz Hubbard, especially when she confronted and defeated Lucinda at the end of the show. It was the closure Trisha never really got to have with Gwyneth.

• Members

Noelle was a capable actress. I never saw her on Loving. She was what Martha should've been towards the end but never was. Although Noelle was never Lily to me. I had no connection to her. I think it would've been better to bring back Rattray to finish the show. At least her Lily and Holden got married and I really missed Rattray.

• Members

As Rattray has no IMDB credits past 2001,  I wonder if she was still acting at the time Noelle replaced Martha.  I think Noelle was a quick hire and a very safe and competent choice.  Anyway, Carly, Katie, Meg and Janet were dominating the show, so it’s a moot point. 

• Members

Watching this episode last night (I'm not sure I've seen this particular episode, just several episodes before and the aftermath) but it made me realize something.  Craig and Lucinda's ONS was definitely not something to romanticize.  I knew that they were both in pain because they had come to believe that Sierra had "died" in Montega but I didn't realize how heavily Craig had been drinking that evening leading up to the ONS. It also shows that Craig was feeling quite sorry for himself because he saved Steve's life and didn't appear to get any word of thanks from Steve or Betsy.

This episode does, however, crystallize Lucinda's feelings and also why she may have become so embittered where Craig (and his ensuing romance with Sierra) was concerned.  It had to do with that instant regret that Craig had begun to express once he discovered that not only was Sierra alive but she had apparently been in Oakdale for almost two weeks or so.  Lucinda not only felt discarded but she realized that she was likely an outlet for Craig's pain...although I'm not sure why she wouldn't take Craig's swigging down copious amounts of alcohol as a sign of that.

Also, this episode features Nancy arriving from Arizona and serving up some of that 'sauce' that she was often known for on the eve of the eve of Bob and Kim's nuptials.  Also everybody is talking about Frannie, yet Frannie has not arrived. It's so interesting how much chatter about Frannie's arrival takes place, almost as if it is a hugely awaited arrival, before Julianne Moore makes her debut on the show. A precursor of things to come in Moore's career, I guess.

• Members

I have the exact same problem. I started with the 'smaller' one before CBS got separated off, which only has 1989-1994. What I do, is I make sure I have a lot of time if I want to get to it, then I use 'ATWT' as a search term, and spend about half an hour scrolling all the way down to the end, so I can spend about an hour or so working my way upwards. If I accidentally mis-click, I have to start all over again. It's a ridiculous pain in the ****, and it will be much more difficult when I get to the 'larger' CBS version.

I'm also not crazy about the nickname thing going on, which make the recaps impossible to read as well. Still, it's the only way I know of to read episode recaps from the early 90s, as well as authentic audience responses. 

My focus is currently on retrieving these recaps and storing them on my pc. I'm planning on 'translating' these recaps (using regular character names) at a later point. I also hope to use them to help identify episodes and complement the full episode list I created. But it's a lot of work.

If you or anyone else finds a better way to navigate this site, I'd love to hear it.