OLTL: Discussion for the week September 20

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think she's on there because they're doing that for charity. Aren't they involved in AIDS charities?

As for the Tea story -- frankly everything about this story has been offensive for a long time, many years. I think people just become desensitized.

• Members

Drug induced brain tumor which isnt really cancerous and now will take weeks to flush out of her system. Okay :rolleyes: This Eli plot is very reminiscent to the Mitch one earlier this year where they've made the villian uber evil and capable of almost anything no matter how unplausible it is. And of course it reaks of writing the crap as they go along as TIIC dont have a clear goal in mind. After this plays out, I wonder who will be the next super villian. Im sure Sean will be revealed as some evil mastermind who has been plotting against the citizens of Llanview all these years

• Members

I dunno, OLTL lately has really been over the top with the villians who really should have mustaches to twirl. I only really follow AMC otherwise but at least there with the whole David thing, you always saw the good side to his character, as well as WHY he did the ridiculous over the top (I admit) crap he did. Or with Adam. Villians like Eli IMHO have no place on soaps--or at least not when they dominate story for SOOO long. I certainly agree that character complexity has been a problem with soaps, and it seems increasingly so.

Speaking of Mitch though--did we ever get a real exit for him? It felt liek the story (typical of Carlivati's stuff this past year) just kinda petered out--which I mean is fine since it got so over the top with him but... Is it like rex's paternity--we'll have a tiny grasp of story and then nothing for months?

• Members

Eh, give me Roscoe Bourne any day reading Scripture in that deliciously wicked tone - he at least can induce some shivers up my spine. MW is so one-note I am neither scared nor entertained by him.

I am rather insulted by the twist she doesn't have cancer after all. I think it was a big mistake to totally negate the cancer story as RC has chosen. Better twist Eli blackmailed Greg into withholding the life-saving treatment and Greg fakes her death to give her that treatment.

Oh well, on the scale of offensive stories, this one has far to go to match OLTL's top 20 or so.

• Members

I think the whole show Monday was designed to reel in the disenfranchised ATWT viewers who may have tuned in. All the exposition that bored the daily viewers so much served to bring these potential new viewers up to speed on the key stories so they can hit the ground running. I'm loathe to compliment tptb at OLTL generally, but I really think this was a smart strategic move. Probably should have clued in the performers about the purpose so they were aware that this episode might be the first introduction new viewers may have had to their characters. I'm sure when they saw their scripts eye rolls abounded and their collective reaction would be something like "Really? We're having to explain everything that just happened in the last week?"

• Members

I'm with you Eric, and Monty, your " :rolleyes: " kinda hurt my feelings bud. :P Each viewer has his or her own experience, and having lost my mother, I am sensitive to stories like that, Dani's reactions bringing back memories etc. How we all wish that our loved ones' illnesses were just some villain of the month at work, easy resolution. I get that it's fiction, but imagine if the lab screwed up and GH got to keep Michael Sutton ("Yay!" :rolleyes: ) because Stone only had a severe case of Cat scratch fever.

• Members

I guess because I'm an RN, MSN, I don't take any of this stuff seriously. I've seen the real thing up close and personal for many years and none of the soap get it right as far as I'm concerned.

I think the problem with Tea's cancer story is that it's been spoiled, spumored and speculated to death (no pun intended) that Tea wasn't really going to die that why I did the eye roll. This hardly had the emotional impact of Megan's death or even Sloan's death. You knew those were going to stick.

• Members

yeah dont get me wrong, Im glad Tea is alive but I hate that her sickness was one big farce. Id rather she still be ill and that Greg only lied about how serious it was. She should be off now getting treatment to save her. It seems kinda cheap to say she never had cancer at all and ALL her symptoms were drug induced courtesy of evil mastermind Eli. I mean give me a break

• Members

Random Casual Viewer Thought: Before I switched the TV to another show, I was watching OLTL and their outdoor stuff has gotten way better. When the camera followed Starr/Langston and then kind of craned or glided over directly to Langston, I was very impressed.

Most outdoor stuff with daytime soaps have cameraguys holding the cameras instead of moving them on pedestals or gliding them over using something.

I can't wait to see this show in 16:9 and soon after in HD. I hope ABC sticks to that.

Archived