OLTL: Discussion for the week September 20

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not in Llanview. As other characters have said before, yelling means she's like her parents. Tea shrieked her way through scenes for years and she has repeatedly been painted as a perfect person in every way.

Acting immature means you do and say stupid things, or you are made to look inferior to others. Generally that doesn't apply to Dani or Nate.

• Members

OK, word to all of this. I said I found it offensive, but compard to rapemance, the rape of Todd, etc, etc, it's not even up there, but I likeyour idea much much more. (now if anyone in Llanview DOES get cancer, there'd be no reason to believe it was real :P ) And yeah, mitch was getting old for me, and this last storyline with him wasn't making much sense, but at least Roscoe relishes playing the role.

• Members

HAHA that actually makes sense, although some of this "we'll explain the whole reasoning for these murders, etc, even though it makes no sense, in a long drawn out monologue" has been going on for a while--Eli has had at least two times he's gone on and on to the unconscious body of someone, Mitch did it in the Spring--it's becoming a Carlivati staple.

• Members

I agreed with everything SFK said (partly cuz he was agreeing with me :P ) but I do see your point. The thing is, I don't think any fo us thought Tea would actually die (especially since we never even got a death scene), I never did, but to me to make ALL her symptoms, etc, that fit the cancer symptoms to a t (at least the fictional ones--Tea's meant to be a smart character and surely looked them up online, etc--though I swear she even went for a second opinion, didn't she?), etc. The thing is, even if I didn't find it personally off putting--it's also a waste of drama IMHO. Making the cancer ALL Eli/Greg's doing is ultimately FAR less interesting from a soap drama POV than making the cancer legit, and Greg simply mistreating it or something. In that case Tea would have a real reason to re-evaluate her life, could be scared of it recurring, etc. This way all that has to be done is she and Todd get put all the blame, and try to get revenge, on the bad guys. IMHO that's far far more dull, and leaves open far fewer soap storylines down the line. It's poor soap.

• Members

Agreed completely, although I do wonder when Llanview became one gigantic seeming park (which I guess is also meant to be by the river they swim in and the campus? The new building they use for L U is VERY ghetto).

OLTL's had pretty poor dialogue for a while now, it seems (I'm not sure why--do they just need new script writers?), but today was particularly bad.

• Members

Where Kelly is actually really strong is in her reactions--if you watch her when others have the dialogue, she never breaks character as so many of the greener soap stars do. I still think she yells a bit too much but maybe that's more the writing...

Agreed, the Clint/Matthew etc stuff was pretty good today. See Clint is the kinda villain (if we can call him that) that soap operas do *well* and i find interesting.

I can agree there. I think part of it is TSJ is, IMHO a very good actor if he tries and is capable of FAR more than ME.

• Members

OLTL 1997-2010. Shrieking, bellowing, silent screams, et al. They tend to have her do this in dramatic situations.

Even the show has said Dani yelling = her parents. Remember when she was shrieking and being rude at the diner and Destiny said it reminded her of someone.

• Members

Well, on my screen Dani hasn't been shrieking in months. And shocker a teen girl being sullen after having her life ripped apart! I actually think KM is way too strong an actress to be paired with deadwood Nate.

I thought TSJ did a very good job with the first part of the cancer story and particularly the hospital scenes with Tea and Dani. But find him disappointing since the visit to the hospice. KM carried the emotions of those scenes and he was flat. For some reason he's only showing emotion with Tea's urn, those two scenes have been good.

I do think FL carried the emotional load for the entire cancer story. She nailed it.

• Members

IA. Dani seems alot more reserved these days than she did last year or even earlier this year. IA, after everything thats happened, she shouldnt be expected to be calm and collected. The anger was appropriate for what was going on with the character at the time. She's since cooled down quite a bit. Of course she still has her moments, but she is a bit more rational and willing to listen as opposed to simply yelling her opinion and shutting what she doesnt want to hear out

• Members

KM is gifted with some very expression eyes and that helps to convey there's a lot silent inner conflict in her reaction shots. Most of the teens stand around waiting to say their lines, KM does not. You're right, she's like EA in that I feel they are IN character at all times, reacting to the dialogue versus getting ready to recite their lines.

Clint is MY hero for ridding us of David Vickers. I only wish it was permanent!

I loved ME on PC as Caleb he was multi-dimensional and infused with energy. I wonder how much is the writing for John traps ME into this one-dimensional dull as dirt super cop and how much is ME's boredom leaking through.

• Members

FL called Dani Todd Manning as a teen and I think that's what the writers were going for... that deep well of rage and hair trigger temper with major chip on her shoulder. That was early Todd, he was constantly flying off the handle too. The problem is Dani isn't Todd, she wasn't abused all her childhood and twisted up with supressed rage. There's a sweetness and shy, more vulnerable side that writers only this summer started to explore. That's the side that came out today in court, afraid to hurt either Todd or Ross.

Archived