GH: Another Q Bites The Dust!

• Members

I agree. There are worse ways to leave. At least Monica will still be alive, I presume, and she won't be killed off in the latest "event that changes nothing" so Steve Burton can give his usual stoneface attempt at grief.

I don't think Leslie's going to get some great job elsewhere but if it were about getting rid of someone who isn't needed or getting rid of someone who has had bad plastic surgery or hasn't aged right, then most of the cast would be gone. It's just more of GH's hostility towards any past which is not about the wonders of the mob. So while Leslie Charleson leaving is not some big damaging moment for the show, it's just another sign of their increasingly fast move towards the ratings basement and then cancellation.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guza has just been the most successful. Monty herself tried to remove the Q's in the 90's, and they were her own creation.

As a writer, I think it gets to be a point of what can you do with them? Alan and Monica were separated and reunited often because no other pairing was acceptable for either, so that was a limit setter. Anna Lee, dear soul that she was, was an invalid, so that limited what she and Edward were capable of doing. Tracy has had a bit of a renewal now that she's a Spencer (not as much as I'd like, but some), and hasn't truly been a Q for almost 5 years. Some couples/families are just self-limiting and while their fans and nostalgics don't want to accept it, it's the truth.

The Hardys and Webbers used to run this show, but over time they've gone and only we "old timers" even remember who they were. Life is cyclical and pretending that doesn't happen on soaps is foolish. I don't agree with the heavy mob focus, but GH has always followed the characters that brought the action over the character that represented Home'n'hearth. That's who Luke/Robert/Frisco/Anna/Felecia/Laura were in the 80's, and when they arrived anyone loving the "Traditional Families" of GH were SOL.

• Members

The Quartermaines have had their day but I think it's as part of a death of any real family element on GH. You don't need a family on a soap which is about action, but you need to compensate. Edge of Night was able to maintain an action-based soap which did not have a core family but still had interlocked relationships, and the murders and assaults on there meant something. On GH these days, Kristina almost blows up in a car explosion and is fine and it is quickly forgotten. Johnny is shot in the chest and no one cares and he's going to be fine. It's kind of strange.

• Members

I think what bothers me most is that she was the longest remaining contract cast member. I mean, I guess GH has never treated her like royalty like they do with Lucci at AMC or even Slezak at OLTL but that's still a huge deal and it's being disrespected hardcore.

• Members

I don't watch GH, and I know Charleson has pretty much been missing in action for at least the last decade, but this news still makes me sad. One of my very favorite things about soaps used to be intergenerational storytelling. I loved seeing characters like AW's Ada and DOOL's Alice interact with the younger set ... I loved that AW's Rachel remained a vital part of the Bay City story as she aged ... I watch OLTL today because of Viki and Dorian, who've both been around for decades (and run rings around the younger set). I hope, when soaps are reinvented some years down the line -- and they will be -- they will once again incorporate a healthy respect for all ages. Since this country is going to be "top heavy" with sixty- and seventysomething citizens, it just might happen!

• Members

This is sad, but not surprising at all. Guza has essentially morphed the Qs into the Spencers, and Monica really has no place in that dynamic. Her only connection to a tier-1 character is Jason, and we all know that Guza will not explore that relationship.

Archived