GH: Brenda Marathon

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL!

For the fans of the ABC soaps, this Vanessa gamble better pay with a huge sustained bump in the 18 to 49 women demos because other than cutting production costs some more GH and ABC have no more cards to play. If this doesn't work, cancellation will be closer than lots of people think.

• Members

In all seriousness (my Brender vs Ally Rescott war aside), at least GH has a chance. I can only stand to watch nearly one episode of OLTL every couple of weeks just to touch base, and AMC seems to have given up with some of the laziest writing.

GH's production values are great since the HD switch (the lighting, for years, was this show's Achilles heel in that regard) . GH's cast, with a few exceptions, is watchable. GH's outline writers, scriptwriters and editor are the best of the three ABC shows. And, during the rare times when Guza decides not to phone it in, he can write entertaining arcs. So, they have plenty of tools to execute something good during this period. Do I think good enough to send the demos into orbit with the use of Vanity? Not really, but I do think it will be enough to definitely spike past AMC/OLTL.

But this is the fun part -- waiting, watching and then seeing.

• Members

But... but... but... she's the REAL Brenda... :blink: I don't dislike Brenda very much. I don't dislike Marcil. It's just the over-hyping ABC does that makes me want to tune out anything they praise.

WTG in rewarding those shows that have outperformed GH for some time now.

• Members

The problem is if it takes this much money and effort just for GH to make a slight improvement then what's going to happen when they run out of these last few trump cards?

I also wonder if Franco might detract from some of the potential Marcil viewer boost. Every time he is on the show the ratings seem to slide.

• Members

I like VM. I never saw her on GH so my only exposure to her was Las Vegas and I really liked that show so I have nothing against her. On the contrary, I LOVE that Brenda is considered such a golden character. She isn't a vet, isn't a member of a core family and has been off the canvas for years. Brenda goes against all those things we're told (and told and told again) are most valuable in characters. Instead her popularity follows the primetime model, people like her because they like her. That's it and no matter how hard they've tried, GH hasn't been able to replicate or replace her.

Archived