“Disney Junior” Replaces SOAPnet in 2012

• Members

Aw, now you've gone and made me sad :( They could at least run the random reports through the night, that's when MTV does their videos. For me, when I think of TWC, it's basically "Oh, Lord, yall, they say a big storm coming..." "Boy, turn that TV on the Weather Channel and see what they say!" "But I'm watchin' Gilligan!" "Turn it on the Weather Channel, damn it!"

I would watch this.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess they'd rather put something on the channel than let it go dark. They should have turned it into "Vault Disney" and started showing all the old Disney movies and specials like they used to on late nights on Disney Channel.

• Members

PBS and Nickelodeon have both had big success with their 24-hour preschool channels, so we'll see. IIRC, one of the intentions of making Nick Jr. it's own channel was to eventually take all preschool shows off of the main Nickelodeon channel, except probably an hour each of Dora and Diego.

• Members

We may be seeing the effects of this way sooner than 2012.

When do the SOAPnet deals for DAYS and Y&R expire? If it's before 2012, I don't see ABC/Disney renewing them, no matter how much they mean to the network, meaning that if SOAPnet is used to offset expensive production costs, we could see it onscreen as soon as the deals expire.

• Members

I was thinking the same thing. DAYS is slated for renewal September 2011, the same for Y&R and B&B. Depending on how much Y&R and DAYS relied on that SOAPNet income it will be interesting to see what happens to them. It's interesting that the ABC soaps, theoretically, can all fall together, just as the other soaps (Y&R, B&B and DAYS) are all timed, theoretically, to fall together in September 2011.

• Members

Wow, I'm surprised and yet not surprised. I never understood how SoapNet could stay on the air with those low ratings, yet be finally making a profit.

I agree with the other posters that SoapNet's final airdate is likely the end of at least OLTL. I don't know about AMC or GH.

• Members

Barring a ratings or creative miracle, AMC will last a year past OLTL.

There is no way OLTL will make it past 2011.

I have a feeling AMC's end will coincide with Soapnet's.

GH? Who knows. It has been the emperor with no clothes for so long, Frons has such an erection for it- who knows when GH will end.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2012 or 2020.

• Members

What I COULD see happening in a very dellusional, dreaming, optimistically insane world:

ABC Announces in March of 2011 that OLTL will end in December.

The show airs its final episode on December 30th of that year. SOAPnet shows an all day marathon of it on New Years Day, with that being its last day as a network.

All My Children moves into OLTL's timeslot effective on January 2nd, 2012. ABCD fills All My Children's old timeslot with a new talk show.

All My Children has a relatively substantial drop in ratings, but manages to stay on the air for two more years.

In April 2013, ABC announces All My Children will end in January of 2014, but announces that several characters from both OLTL and AMC will begin appearing on General Hospital as minor dayplayers or recurring characters, in the hopes of bringing back some of the daytime audience to GH.

General Hospital will maintain it's ratings for 3-5 years as the lone soap, as Frons is so attached to it. Eventually GH falls substantially enough where they have to consider cancellation.

The shows budget is bigger than ever, due to it getting the leftovers that AMC and OLTLS replacement talk/game shows didnt use so they use ot to attempt to bring in/back viewers. GH eventually builds up back to where it had been (2.8 or so million viewers, a 1.9-2.0 in HH), and is considered "stable again".

2018- Days of Our Lives gets cancelled.

2024- The Bold and the Beautiful gets cancelled, leaving only Y&R and GH.

2025- The Young and the Restless is cancelled

2026- General Hospital cancelled.

• Members

GH isnt gonna last another 15 years, and I know DAYS won't make it to 2018.

This is how I see it going down:

OLTL will be canned in 2011, ending its run that September. DAYS will manage one more renewal, and end sometime in 2012. AMC will be canned the same year, and be off by December. GH makes it to its 50th anniversary, while ABC milks the hell out of it, and cancels it around the same time. They will put a positive spin on it somehow. By 2014, CBS will cancel B&B, and Y&R will go on for about another 2 years, until they are canned in 2016.

And by the way, does anyone know how much Disney/ABC pay Sony to air Y&R and DAYS on Soapnet?

Archived