“Disney Junior” Replaces SOAPnet in 2012

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup. Sucky time period or not, it was fun for me to see some of the vintage characters, like the McKinnons and Wallingford, one more time. I wish they would have started earlier, though, like Kathleen's original run and Cecile's visits. Kathleen/Cass/Cecile always had such a fun dynamic. I miss the hell out of watching it every day.

• Members

So do I - I really enjoyed just about everything, even when the material wasn't the best. There was always such a sense of community, family, wit. The only good thing about it ending was the last scene was Cass/Kathleen.

Soapnet junked a lot of classic shows in favor of cheap knockoffs of other reality shows, and reruns of reruns, but they still got canned. I'd rather see a network get the plug pulled than see it become this forgettable disposal unit for overrun shows (like what Nick at Nite and TV Land have been in recent years).

• Members

See, I sorta felt that way too when Sci-Fi Channel started airing reruns of Passions back in '05 or whatever year it was, that it was pointless to start watching because, at one episode a day, they weren't gonna get anywhere by the time they pulled the plug. And I think it lasted all of two or three months.

If my #1 soap rerun dream of ATWT and GL airing on Hallmark were to come true, I could see them doubling up on episodes every day since they already air three episodes each of The Waltons and Little House a day, but I'd love to see a channel air a soap in once-a-day reruns, as if it's "brand new," so we could get the same exact experience that the original audience got, as far as time/build-up/payoffs/etc are concerned. But double airings would most likely be the best way to ever go about that, if the network wants to make the room on the schedule for it (though it's no problem for half-hour shows -- slip an hour block of old 70s Y&R in there between Three's Company and Maude on Antenna TV, and I am THERE!).

Speaking of, since I'm feeling listy, what are all the soaps that have been rerun in some way besides special marathons...

Dark Shadows (syndication, PBS, Sci-Fi Channel)

Texas (TBS)

Search for Tomorrow (USA)

The Edge of Night (USA)

Generations (BET)

Ryan's Hope (SOAPnet)

Another World (SOAPnet)

Port Charles (SOAPnet)

Passions (Sci-Fi Channel)

Is that it? This is our proof that soap reruns are an entirely bad option? They have got to do better than that.

• Members

I don't know how I missed the Another World airings. I never really watched SOAPnet much back then. I had been taping the shows (on TAPE) for years and so even after SOAPnet I just continued taping them....Then when I got DVR I would set the ones I watched every day to record. And when I wanted to watch another soap, I'd just tivo it....But sometime's I'd forget or there'd be an interruption and alas, I got into SOAPnet.

• Members

Actually, I was relieved about that. Actually, we were about to come on to a period that was rough for me- my 3 favorite actresses leaving the show (Cali Timmins, Anne Heche, Julie Osburn). I never warmed up to Judi Evans completely- she was like a new character IMO. Same with Jensen Buchanan, though she was worse than Evans if only because I'd become so attached to Heche in the role and Buchanan was nowhere near on that level.

I WAS disappointed, though, that we weren't get to watch the Frankie/Cass/Kathleen triangle play out completely. Yes, I know we ended up getting it online, but it wasn't as convenient as having those episodes on SoapNet.

• Members

You weren't the only one to have such a reaction. ;-)

IMO, it was much easier to run RYAN'S HOPE in its entirety*, b/c at a half-hour per episode, you could "double up" every day and essentially run two weeks' worth of shows in just one. ANOTHER WORLD, however, was more difficult to re-run, just b/c of its average (meaning, per episode) length. Asking viewers to commit to two hours (three, if you were to include the year-or-so's worth of 90-minute shows), even via DVR, just seems and feels like too much.

* Speaking of, did they ever run all 14 years of RH? I realize 1981-1987 were not great years for this show, but it annoys me how each cycle just stops at '81 or so then resets itself to "day one" w/o any explanations as to what happened in the show's final years.

Archived